Hair Retail Products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bliss1

Reaction score
Hi geeks. Im looking for a bit of advice. Ive had this salon for a year now :D and im looking to take on some retail products to help boost my income a little.
Ive always worked with Loreal but felt with moving salons last year i could experiment a little more.
So my retail products have always been Loreal but now that i have the chance id like to take on something a bit edgier, appealing to look at, decent price range and also that can be prescribed to my clients needs.
What i dont want tho is something they can pop online and buy at a 60% discount so something slightly exclusive;) but still has a name about it people know.
Yep im asking a lot i know.
Any suggestions from all you wonderful hair geeks out there???

Susan
x

Hi geeks. Im looking for a bit of advice. Ive had this salon for a year now :D and im looking to take on some retail products to help boost my income a little.
Ive always worked with Loreal but felt with moving salons last year i could experiment a little more.
So my retail products have always been Loreal but now that i have the chance id like to take on something a bit edgier, appealing to look at, decent price range and also that can be prescribed to my clients needs.
What i dont want tho is something they can pop online and buy at a 60% discount so something slightly exclusive;) but still has a name about it people know.
Yep im asking a lot i know.
Any suggestions from all you wonderful hair geeks out there???

Susan
x

I know I'm always saying matrix, but if you want some to start you off, look into matrix total results and design pulse, biolage as well, total results in a great price for clients even better for us!! If you like price lists let me know x

I have to disagree with Bluerinse (sorry pal). They admitted that they are a massive Matrix fan though, so I'm sure what I am about to say will make some sense.

I really like Matrix products, but the OP said "id like to take on something a bit edgier, appealing to look at, decent price range and also that can be prescribed to my clients needs."

I wouldn't say that jumping from L'Oreal Serie Expert which looks like this:

delicate%20colour%20shampoo.jpg

to Matrix Total Results which looks like this:

sleek-duo.jpg

is going "edgier".

Even the Loreal Tec Ni Art range packaging is "edgier" than Matrix.

Loreal Hairspray:
10567211-1320660452-593661.jpg

Matrix Hairspray:
10451725-1307381017-492709.jpg

Matrix is made by L'Oreal to be the "cheaper" line, and the ingredients and packaging reflect that.

Edgier (than L'Oreal), appealing to look at and able to be prescribed (whilst still being in a decent price range) would suggest to me something like Label.M.

10544088-1319724695-577029.jpg

I don't use it in our salons, but I have friends who do and they say it sits nicely alongside L'Oreal as an Organic line that gets results and looks trendy on the shelf too.

With regards to finding a line that is not available at 60% off online, that's going to be a hard one. Even the most strictly controlled lines such as Kerastase and Aveda can be found slightly cheaper online. It might be worth offering some loyalty points towards services when clients purchase the product from yourself.

Good luck!

P.S. Sorry Bluerinse. I love Matrix too, but I don't think it's the answer for this poster. xx

I have to disagree with Bluerinse (sorry pal). They admitted that they are a massive Matrix fan though, so I'm sure what I am about to say will make some sense.

I really like Matrix products, but the OP said "id like to take on something a bit edgier, appealing to look at, decent price range and also that can be prescribed to my clients needs."

I wouldn't say that jumping from L'Oreal Serie Expert which looks like this:

delicate%20colour%20shampoo.jpg

to Matrix Total Results which looks like this:

sleek-duo.jpg

is going "edgier".

Even the Loreal Tec Ni Art range packaging is "edgier" than Matrix.

Loreal Hairspray:
10567211-1320660452-593661.jpg

Matrix Hairspray:
10451725-1307381017-492709.jpg

Matrix is made by L'Oreal to be the "cheaper" line, and the ingredients and packaging reflect that.

Edgier (than L'Oreal), appealing to look at and able to be prescribed (whilst still being in a decent price range) would suggest to me something like Label.M.

10544088-1319724695-577029.jpg

I don't use it in our salons, but I have friends who do and they say it sits nicely alongside L'Oreal as an Organic line that gets results and looks trendy on the shelf too.

With regards to finding a line that is not available at 60% off online, that's going to be a hard one. Even the most strictly controlled lines such as Kerastase and Aveda can be found slightly cheaper online. It might be worth offering some loyalty points towards services when clients purchase the product from yourself.

Good luck!

P.S. Sorry Bluerinse. I love Matrix too, but I don't think it's the answer for this poster. xx

Label.m is really nice to use actually, so have to agree here, love the shampoos and conditioners, especially the peppermint hair and scalp treatment, most of the products are great too but as with any brand, there are a few too similar products so you definitely wouldn't need the whole range...resurrection dust is great, waxes and pastes are better than loreal but I have to say, loreal beach fizz is much better than the sea salt spray!

THank you BlueRinse i will definitely look into them.
Ive never used Matrix and dont know any1 in my area that does so thats a bonus

x

I had already looked at label m but they try to be exclusive and theres already 1 salon that does it and her husband is the rep i think so no chance lol

x

I had already looked at label m but they try to be exclusive and theres already 1 salon that does it and her husband is the rep i think so no chance lol

x

Affinage have a new styling range and they look pretty quirky but havent used them yet...they're meant to be really good value for money too !
The kitoko shampoos are really nice too, paraben and sulfate free..

Don't know what else to suggest really!

Affinage have a new styling range and they look pretty quirky but havent used them yet...they're meant to be really good value for money too !

Kitoko packaging does look REALLY nice - very high end looking. Haven't tried it either, but it certainly looks the part.

The only thing that would put me off is that the brand is unknown, but then again, if you keep L'Oreal as the "brand" and try to introduce Kitoko as your "new find" it could work.

If you're looking for something slightly edgy and exclusive though (like Label.M) you could try Sebastian ... very pricey though compared to L'Oreal.
Alterna suits a similar market.

Neal & Wolf seem to be getting popular right now, and another line for consideration would be SHU UEMURA.

Best of luck though.

:)

I use them and live them got the starter pack on a really good deal, they are definatly value money and their root booster is to die for

Thanks geeks got plenty to research over the next few days. Definitely going to look into all the suggestions and I'll let you know how I get on
X

Kitoko packaging does look REALLY nice - very high end looking. Haven't tried it either, but it certainly looks the part.

The only thing that would put me off is that the brand is unknown, but then again, if you keep L'Oreal as the "brand" and try to introduce Kitoko as your "new find" it could work.

If you're looking for something slightly edgy and exclusive though (like Label.M) you could try Sebastian ... very pricey though compared to L'Oreal.
Alterna suits a similar market.

Neal & Wolf seem to be getting popular right now, and another line for consideration would be SHU UEMURA.

Best of luck though.

Good luck trying to get shy uemura it's ridiculous I no a few salons trying to get it but there's only something like 50 companies in the uk that have it x

Good luck trying to get shy uemura it's ridiculous I no a few salons trying to get it but there's only something like 50 companies in the uk that have it x

It's owned by L'Oreal. We were offered it last year for our salon but went with Aveda in the end purely because everything else we have is L'Oreal - I wanted to try out Aveda just to see what it was like after trying their samples and loving it, plus I like their make-up displays. I wasn't told at the time that Shu Uemura did make-up (one of the reasons I went with Aveda) and I might have chosen Shu Uemura if I knew.

Give L'Oreal a call if you want Shu Uemura - they should be pretty quick to send someone out. Like all premium lines though, there is a minimum buy in of around £5K and you need to stock all of it.

It's owned by L'Oreal. We were offered it last year for our salon but went with Aveda in the end purely because everything else we have is L'Oreal - I wanted to try out Aveda just to see what it was like after trying their samples and loving it, plus I like their make-up displays. I wasn't told at the time that Shu Uemura did make-up (one of the reasons I went with Aveda) and I might have chosen Shu Uemura if I knew.

Give L'Oreal a call if you want Shu Uemura - they should be pretty quick to send someone out. Like all premium lines though, there is a minimum buy in of around £5K and you need to stock all of it.

Oo really I thought it was more exclusive ( purely based on what an employee of mine told me about a previous salon he worked in) love the whole concept of it it looks fab maybe I'll look into it in the future. It was predominantly a make up line first it's mentioned in devil wears Pravda if you've seen that film lol x

Just an update guys. Have looked into the neal and Wolfe range. Product line packaging looks really nice and in keeping with the tone of my salon.
I've enquired with them so they are sending out prices and samples.
There rrp is mid range so all liking good so far :)
X

Latest posts

Back