Hair up rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautIsh

Reaction score
Need a hair up moan, I have been doing hair ups for weddings etc for just over a year now but have never had the problem I had today. I had a mother & daughter booked in (turned out to be daughters and she forgot). The first daughter wanted waterfall braid I made them informed her hair was very fine and the plait would be thin and it was and she didn't like it. SO did a crown same again hair was to fine. ended up just doing half up half down.
Then moved on to the 2nd daughter who wanted a milk braid hair was to short so did2 French plaits and crossed them over at the back but kept falling out!! I then find out they had washed there hair 1hour before the appointment even tho I advised them not to wash before etc. SO ended up doing a fish tail plait to the side.
The mum was simple half up & half down.

In the end I spent 3.5 hours doing something that shouldn't of taken so long. Anyone have any tips with handling teenagers and mums would be muchily appreciated. I do trails for weddings etc but never had this issue before and want to avoid it in future if I can :)

a great wee tip for braids/plaits on fine silky hair is to put some texture in the hair first with a wand or heated rollers, once thats done spray with a light flexible hairspray, then braid as normal, once you have the braid in sprinkle it with a texturising powder like Tigi Sugar Dust and use your finger to gently 'tap' the powder into the braid. this will give the hair some grip and stop it falling out of the braid, it'll also let you 'pull out' bits of the braid to make it look thicker without all of the hair falling out of the braid 😊

I was going to mention some powder too, we often get clients who have washed their hair before and I love bumble and bumbles pret a powder, makes the hair much easier to work with.

Did you say you do consultations so you know what to expect? I was going to suggest that maybe you should state that if a client changes their mind after the consultation and the style takes longer you charge extra for going over the allotted time? Not sure if that will work, we don't actually do it but I know of a salon that charges a set amount for hair up then if it takes more than an hour they charge a set amount per half and hour you go into.

We haven't needed to do this as of yet but would certainly think about implementing it in the future.

:) x

I may have to find some of that powder but normally dry shampoo & curling works for me but her hair was so fine even when back combed it didn't look any bigger/thicker, I had run though everything with the mum and was informed her 1 daughter only wanted her hair curly. I did a consultation on the day with the daughters on the day who had all these ideas and refused to listen when I said there hair was to short for a few of them. May have to test the waters with the per 1/2 hour charge on top or refuse to do teenagers again lol :)

Latest posts

Back