Halal meat-worse than the Tesco horse thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locally sourced shopping sounds great! I'm living with parents at the moment but when I move I think this will be perfect.

We definitely have butchers and fishmongers but I'm not as sure about greengrocers and I love my fruit so I definitely need one!

As for the original thread, I think its disgusting that things aren't labelled properly and it needs to be attended to immediately xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek

I used to work in a high school, all the meat for the school dinners was halal, I objected to this as I don't agree on how the animals are killed. There was not a non halal alternative, whether it was chicken curry, cottage pie, turkey for Christmas dinner, everything was halal. I would not have been happy if my child went to that school.

But the point is you know it is halal..there is no deception, you might not like it but at least you know what it is.
The problem this thread is about, is that supermarkets have sold meat without labelling it as halal and that is just plain wrong.
Although going back to the school dinners, surely there was a vegetarian option ?

As the OP I just want to point out that my shock is at NOT at knowing that it was halal meat.
I'm not stating that it should or shouldn't be sold.
I do have very strong opinions on halal but I respect others too so that is NOT what this is about.

I believe all meat should be truthfully labelled.

I've learnt a lot today since posting this and after speaking to my fella will be making a huge effort to use local butchers (can we trust them?) and local fruit and veg suppliers. It's what I think I should do anyway, this has just made me think about it properly.

Race/ethnicity/religion are not what this is about. It's about being told what we are buying.

There's been some really interesting posts and I hope this has only led us to be a little more aware of what we buy in future xx
:hug:

I completely agree that halal meat should be labelled so that the buyer knows what they are buying. What makes halal meat different is the Islamic ritual that is carried out during slaughter (a prayer is said upon the animal and the blood is drained - correct me if I'm wrong) and I believe that the customer should know that the meat is halal - as some faiths may not permit halal meat, or meat that has had a religious ritual, to be eaten.

As for how the animals are being slaughtered, this should still meet the EU regulations regardless of whether the meat is halal or not; this has nothing to do with religion or Islam.
X

Just some info:

Halal is an Arabic word that means "permissible." In terms of food, it means food that is permissible according to Islamic law. For a meat to be certified "halal," it cannot be a forbidden cut (such as meat from hindquarters) or animal (such as pork.)

The slaughter of a halal animal is called "zabihah" and there are certain guidelines to follow:

Allah's (God's) name must be pronounced during slaughter.
The instrument must be very sharp to ensure humane slaughter. The animal must be slit at the throat.
The animal must be hung upside down and allowed to bleed dry. Eating blood is not halal.
These steps must be accomplished by a Muslim or the People of the Book (Christian or Jew.) Many observant Muslims find kosher meat acceptable.
The animal must have been fed a natural diet that did not contain animal by-products.

Just some info:

Halal is an Arabic word that means "permissible." In terms of food, it means food that is permissible according to Islamic law. For a meat to be certified "halal," it cannot be a forbidden cut (such as meat from hindquarters) or animal (such as pork.)

The slaughter of a halal animal is called "zabihah" and there are certain guidelines to follow:

Allah's (God's) name must be pronounced during slaughter.
The instrument must be very sharp to ensure humane slaughter. The animal must be slit at the throat.
The animal must be hung upside down and allowed to bleed dry. Eating blood is not halal.
These steps must be accomplished by a Muslim or the People of the Book (Christian or Jew.) Many observant Muslims find kosher meat acceptable.
The animal must have been fed a natural diet that did not contain animal by-products.

That's very interesting, thanks for going to the trouble of posting that for us faefae.

I was going to post a link which shows the process but I decided not to as I think it would be in bad taste, however I would like to just add in reply to faefae that I have no issue with any type of prayer being said to my dinner, I have no problem with any religion.
It's the process itself that makes me very against halal meat. It's not as clean cut as stated.
If you aren't aware of the process then please look on YouTube, there are hundreds of very interesting clips.

Again I'm not saying whether its right or wrong, but its very controversial which is why I feel so strongly that I should be given the choice x

This has been a good thread with a good debate and yet some lighter moments too.
I have learned a lot, including how lazy I have become :o
There is a Farm Shop not 10 minutes drive from me and yet I pop to the Supermarket, but that is all going to change !
Thanks for starting the thread Jiggly and thanks for the education Nearlyme...but the offer of me moving in with you still stands :wink2:
Rep points to follow :)

This has been a good thread with a good debate and yet some lighter moments too.
I have learned a lot, including how lazy I have become :o
There is a Farm Shop not 10 minutes drive from me and yet I pop to the Supermarket, but that is all going to change !
Thanks for starting the thread Jiggly and thanks for the education Nearlyme...but the offer of me moving in with you still stands :wink2:
Rep points to follow :)

My one job today is to make friends with my local butcher :)

(Ill have too...I need cooking instructions with my meat! Lol)
X

I was going to post a link which shows the process but I decided not to as I think it would be in bad taste, however I would like to just add in reply to faefae that I have no issue with any type of prayer being said to my dinner, I have no problem with any religion.
It's the process itself that makes me very against halal meat. It's not as clean cut as stated.
If you aren't aware of the process then please look on YouTube, there are hundreds of very interesting clips.

Again I'm not saying whether its right or wrong, but its very controversial which is why I feel so strongly that I should be given the choice x

There are also 100s of clips of cruelty in non halal slaughter houses. Animals being hung by their rear legs whilst still alive, cows too poorly to stand being moved via forklift from the yard to tge slaughter house. At least Halal butchered animals have tge respect of a prayer of thanksgiving for their lives.

Its great that people are now looking to farm shops thanks to my comments. Mine gets delivered so ask if they do the same. It is like xmas every saturday when it arrives and I admit to googleing some of the stranger looking vegetables.

I dont even know what rep points are. :/

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

We have the most amazing butcher in our village. We have an account with him and we pay at the end of month. We buy no meat from the supermarket whatsoever. We were worried that it might be prohibitively expensive but it actually works out A LOT cheaper because we buy only that which we need for supper that night and we never have any wastage.
Also, you know when you buy a chicken from the supermarket it looks half the size when it's cooked? Well, that never happens with the ones from the butcher!

There are also 100s of clips of cruelty in non halal slaughter houses. Animals being hung by their rear legs whilst still alive, cows too poorly to stand being moved via forklift from the yard to tge slaughter house. At least Halal butchered animals have tge respect of a prayer of thanksgiving for their lives.

You are very right, the media is terrible for making us see things one sided.

I'd like to live in bubble wrap and be naive to what goes on. The world can be a nasty place x

We have the most amazing butcher in our village. We have an account with him and we pay at the end of month. We buy no meat from the supermarket whatsoever. We were worried that it might be prohibitively expensive but it actually works out A LOT cheaper because we buy only that which we need for supper that night and we never have any wastage.
Also, you know when you buy a chicken from the supermarket it looks half the size when it's cooked? Well, that never happens with the ones from the butcher!

That is because they are not injected with water to make them look plump. They are just plump!

You are very right, the media is terrible for making us see things one sided.

I'd like to live in bubble wrap and be naive to what goes on. The world can be a nasty place x

The media, in particular the daily mail, are very politically motivated. They know that the horse meat scandal made us more aware of what is going in to our food and coupled with the current misgivings that some contingents in the uk have toward Islam at the moment- they knew a story about us being "force fed halal meat" would sell papers.

I went to my Farm shop today and got some Highland beef mince......only thing is I feel a bit guilty that I will be eating the coo off the McCowans toffee bars :o
But I'm sure I'll get over it especially as it is great quality,reared just down the road, grass fed and apparently lower in cholesterol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 41
I went to my Farm shop today and got some Highland beef mince......only thing is I feel a bit guilty that I will be eating the coo off the McCowans toffee bars :o
But I'm sure I'll get over it especially as it is great quality,reared just down the road, grass fed and apparently lower in cholesterol.

It is so lean. I just ate a spag bol made with local grass fed cattle. It is really lean ane no fat comes out of it when you cook it. Please do not be put off if it smells different when you cook it and that it is much darker then Tesco mince. Because it is richer it goes a long way

Nearly me, where do you get your weekly delivery from? I hate shopping in supermarkets but don't even no where to start for locally sourced foods! Xx

Nearly me, where do you get your weekly delivery from? I hate shopping in supermarkets but don't even no where to start for locally sourced foods! Xx

A local farm shop but there is a company called farmaround which covers most of the uk. Not sure they do meat but they rescue old dairy cows and bulls plus battery hens. Worth a google

And your in York. They are based in shefield :)

Latest posts

Back