Handed my notice in-scared!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloughers

Reaction score
I've been doing an office job 32 hours per week and gradually building up my business for the last 3 years doing evenings and weekends. I've also got 3 children so it's been really hard and yesterday I suddenly felt overwhelmed trying to do invoicing with 3 bored children and no time to actually do anything with them in the holidays, even struggling to get half an hour to make them a sandwich! I've been thinking about it for a while and did ask my boss if I could cut hours or have a job share but he said no so I had no choice really. I've been so busy with my home salon that I'm sure it will be fine and how I'm looking at it is if I'm too quiet after the summer I'll just get another part time office job with less hours. My job was very flexible and they let me work at home in the holidays but the thought of another 6 weeks trying to work here with the kids and then work every night and all day Saturday just filled me with dread!! Feel so relieved!

Well done and good luck!

I'm sure you'll be fine. You must be feeling great.

Sounds to me like it was the right thing to do and although scary, you did it - good for you!

Good luck with your home salon :lol: xxx

How exciting! I hope it works out for you. I'm just starting out with my home salon and also have 2 children so I hope to be in your position in a few years as I would love to give up the day job and do this instead. Wishing you loads of luck!! Xx

Good luck :)

Jemima :)

This sounds like my situation at the moment, except I only have one little boy to think about.I work two part time jobs, one I've been at for 11 years! I have cut my hours to 13 hours a week, but i hate it I dread it every week. And hoped I would be able to leave eventually to do my own mobile beauty which I've been running for the last 3 years I'm busier than ever and sometimes everything's a juggle lol. I love doing my own work as we all do, and work 12 Hours at a local beauty salon which I also love. I'm trying to work out if I can cope without that regular money coming in if I hand my notice soon.

Good luck and a few months from now I hope you'll be wondering why you were ever worrying x

I am going through the same thing right now. I have a GREAT paying day job and have just handed in my resignation yesterday! I am SOOOO nervous. I am in a prime location and am really hoping things take off rather quickly! I have been going every Saturday and added Tuesdays and Thursdays. I am kind of hoping that my current day job will ask if I can stay on a couple days a week until they replace me. Which would work out great because it will take a month or two until the background check comes back and that will be PRIME pedicure season!!!
Good luck to you!

Leaving the corporate world is scary but so worth it. I don't have kids but California is super expensive to live here and I had the same fear of just walking away.

So worth it. Congratulations!

Congratulations!!

I did the exact same over a year ago. I had a high end job as an estate with great pay but hated the long hours in the end it was making me so misserable so I decided to hand in my notice and start my beauty business from home (i had been studying for several years), I had no clients to start with a yes it was a crazy decission but the best one I have ever made.

Yes the money is less but hopefully that will come with time but the difference is that I am now so much happier and my business is growing day by day.

Good luck.

I am going through the same thing right now. I have a GREAT paying day job and have just handed in my resignation yesterday! I am SOOOO nervous. I am in a prime location and am really hoping things take off rather quickly! I have been going every Saturday and added Tuesdays and Thursdays. I am kind of hoping that my current day job will ask if I can stay on a couple days a week until they replace me. Which would work out great because it will take a month or two until the background check comes back and that will be PRIME pedicure season!!!
Good luck to you!

Good luck to you too!! x

Well done! Good luck to you!! X

Good luck! I did this last October and was the best thing I did! I'm not as well off as I was and made sacrifices but was so worth it!! I got to set my hours and say what evenings I would work and felt better within myself!!

You won't look back!

Well done Jo on making the leap! I'm a long way from that situation but it may happen one day, it's just letting go of that guaranteed wage that would terrify me!

You will do fantastically though, I just know it. If you were just a little nearer you'd be my therapist of choice :)

Good luck xxx

I have been in retail for 5years now with doing 14hrs a week & not being given any more hours. as me & my fiancé are saving up a deposit to move out i decided to hand in my notice on Thursday last week, I've got a full time office job to go to doing 9-5 mon-fri starting off on a very good salary double what in currently on in my retail job, I couldn't be happier & things are starting to look up ill still be able to do my beauty on the side as well which I'm currently doing :) just thought I'd share & congrats to uu Jo all the best xx

Latest posts

Back