Hard bits under Shellac, driving me mad!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippit

Reaction score
I am finding on some of my clients that I get little hard lumps/bits under the shellac. These are only noticable after I put the first colour coat on and it is really frustrating.

I use cuticle away, then a metal cuticle pushie followed by a curette. Shrub fresh etc. I presume its either cuticle I have pushed up, but not removed or I am using too much pressure on the pushie and scratching some of the nail plate away.

I take my time doing cuticle work, so if it is one or both of the above, how can I see before I put the colour coat on that the nail plate is smooth, I can't feel it either by touch. Please , Please can anyone give me any guidence on how to stop this happening as it is really getting me down. I have to try and file the lumps out, but doesn't always work well and it doesn't look very professional .

are you using soapy water to deactivate the cuticle remover ?
are you putting on your Base coat to thick ?
using the right light ?
only curing base for 10 seconds ?
are you sure you are fully removing the Shellac from the time before ?

are you using soapy water to deactivate the cuticle remover ?
are you putting on your Base coat to thick ?
using the right light ?
only curing base for 10 seconds ?
are you sure you are fully removing the Shellac from the time before ?

Yes, using soapy water.
No, putting on a thin layer of base coat.
Using CND recommended lamp.
yes only curing base for 10 secs.
I do really check the nail to ensure previous shellac, especially base coat is all off.

bulbs all lighting up and not old ?
is your base coat and brush ok ?
are you using an old / cheap or over loaded extention cord ?

Just wondering if it could be bits of partly cured polish, either in the base coat or colour coat? You know when sometimes the polish 'sets' and you sometimes have to remove whats like a 'skin' from around the rim of the bottle neck?! Could it be bits of this have got into the polish? I sometimes get this as the polishes get older, and remove anything with an orange stick, smooth over again and then cure.

HTH :)

bulbs all lighting up and not old ?
is your base coat and brush ok ?
are you using an old / cheap or over loaded extention cord ?

Bulbs are all ok, checked again yesterday.
May base coat is fairly new and the brush looks ok, but will check it.
no , small extension lead & lass than a year old.

It doesn't happen to all my clients, so it must be something I to do with their nails that I am doing.

Thanks for trying to help .

Just wondering if it could be bits of partly cured polish, either in the base coat or colour coat? You know when sometimes the polish 'sets' and you sometimes have to remove whats like a 'skin' from around the rim of the bottle neck?! Could it be bits of this have got into the polish? I sometimes get this as the polishes get older, and remove anything with an orange stick, smooth over again and then cure.

HTH :)

I know what you mean , but I can remove these if they occur quite easily. These are like hard little spots.

Hi Pippit
I to get this, it is like little pin sized balls when i have cured the colour coat, i too agree with you, i think it is something to do with cuticle away and using the curette/pushie.

I use cuticle away and pushie,
then the curette
then i was away with a watery/soap in a dispenser which i squirt onto the nails and clean with a cotton disc/tissue etc

i also wondered if i am pushing to hard and scratching the nail plate causing these bobbles.

Hope we can both find a solution, i have just another set today the same and i have 4 more sets this eve to do.

if i find anything along the way i let you know

could be "bits" from lint free pads / hands down pads

if you see them after your first coat of colour, cure the layer, then after curing wipe the nail affected with a pad with disperse on it ... lightly buff area/s with koala buffer (or like), re-wipe with disperse and you should be good to continue

kx

I think this is definitely bits of nail that have been damaged during the removal process. Have you read Doug Schoon's article on this? (I'm sure someone will post the link). After soaking to remove the nail plate is very delicate and there should be NO scraping to remove product left behind. It the layers don't just fall away then use some remover on a cotton pad and wipe the nail over until it is clean.

You may not be able to see the damage but applying the base coat lifts them up and then they get cured 'standing up'. If you can feel a rough surface before applying the base then you will need to lightly buff the nail to make it perfectly smooth and try to avoid this happening next time

Have two little bumps like this on just one of mine at the minute, the other 9 are fine. I have it on my list to check with the CND gurus at Premier 2012 this weekend as I haven't come across it before.

I used to get this at first then I discovered it was fuzzies from the so called lint free wipes I was using. I used the lint free wipes from Sally's at the time. I now get mine from S2 and find I don't have that problem anymore xx

It could even still be bits of cuticle left on the nail plate..we were shown to nip these with cuticle nippers after applying the base coat x

I think this is definitely bits of nail that have been damaged during the removal process. Have you read Doug Schoon's article on this? (I'm sure someone will post the link). After soaking to remove the nail plate is very delicate and there should be NO scraping to remove product left behind. It the layers don't just fall away then use some remover on a cotton pad and wipe the nail over until it is clean.

You may not be able to see the damage but applying the base coat lifts them up and then they get cured 'standing up'. If you can feel a rough surface before applying the base then you will need to lightly buff the nail to make it perfectly smooth and try to avoid this happening next time

Marion is - as always - bang on ...

this is exactly what I would have indicated to be the cause, it really is very easy to do...

I had this a few times and found that by giving the removal time another couple of minutes and waiting for the Shellac to almost fall off (you know when it does that curling up thing like one of those fish from a Christmas cracker that tells your mood lol -anyone know what I mean?) - and just being really gentle

It really is so easy to scratch up bits of nail plate

I had no idea I was doing it until I had this problem, I'm sure that's what yours is xx

Pippit, I keep having the exact same problem! In my case I know it's nothing to do with the removal process because it's happened to me twice now when no removal of existing product was involved. I'm now convinced it's either cuticle residue which I haven't removed properly, or I'm damaging the nail plate with my pushie. I'm going to try a different pushie I think, to see if that helps. But I'm just so happy to see your thread and realise that I'm not the only one this is happening to!:hug:

This keeps happening to me
Too :(

I get this too. I would agree that it is either left over cuticle or where the nail is damaged. It's so difficult because it is drummed into us that we must remove all the cuticle but by doing this we may be damaging the nail.
How do we get the right balance as these bumps drive me mad!
X

Just had the same problem today. I had to remove old ugly thick NSS acrylics. Tried to be gentle but maybe not enough. Haven't had to do that in a long while. What work! But now we have another convert to gel polish and healthy nails. :)

I've ordered a Tweezerman pusher this morning so I'll see if that makes any difference. Interestingly my own nails are always fine when I Shellac them - probably because I never do any cuticle work on them! :o

Latest posts

Back