Has anyone gone into hairdressing later in life?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gemma I have just finished my level 3, I'm 34, I loved every minute of it. For anyone to say that your too old is quite funny! I still feel the same if not fitter and definitely wiser than when I was in my teens and early twenties! You go for it and never look back! Good luck x

Gemma go for it! Those that put you down are probably in awe of you, some people want to change careers but don't have the drive, ambition and dedication or guts that it takes! Sign up for September but in the mean time get on eBay and try and get he Toni and guy classics DVD or the abc Vidal Sassoon as stated earlier. There are also books you can get with step by steps in them Mahogany do one really cheap on amazon. Get a dolls head and clamp and get practising. Good luck xx

Do it, if it's what you want just go for it :)

Hey Inspired - I trained in hairdressing when I left school and completed the NVQ level 2. To be honest like a lot of people have said I didn't really know what I wanted out of life then and didn't take to it, so gave it up.

I'm now doing beauty courses and have thought I would like to do barbering so when I'm fully trained and ready I can offer a service tailored to men.

I'm 25 and I contacted a local hairdressing school and they told me that while they didn't do a specific barbering course I could go as an apprentice and do my level 3. A friend of the family who is in his 50's has been going to college to train as a plumber and he recently went to an Apprenticeship Fair and asked could he apply for the jobs and was told yes - and on the apprenticeships website The Basics - Apprenticeships there is some information about adult apprenticships.

So it looks like apprenticeships are open to people of all ages now!

I would have liked to do an apprenticeship, as you mention, but they are only government funded for 16 - 24 year olds so the likelihood of getting one for me was slim to no chance! You should go for it. I only wish I'd have changed career sooner because I'm loving hair & beauty much more than I ever liked nursing. Good luck!

Do it, if it's what you want just go for it :)

Hey Inspired - I trained in hairdressing when I left school and completed the NVQ level 2. To be honest like a lot of people have said I didn't really know what I wanted out of life then and didn't take to it, so gave it up.

I'm now doing beauty courses and have thought I would like to do barbering so when I'm fully trained and ready I can offer a service tailored to men.

I'm 25 and I contacted a local hairdressing school and they told me that while they didn't do a specific barbering course I could go as an apprentice and do my level 3. A friend of the family who is in his 50's has been going to college to train as a plumber and he recently went to an Apprenticeship Fair and asked could he apply for the jobs and was told yes - and on the apprenticeships website The Basics - Apprenticeships there is some information about adult apprenticships.

So it looks like apprenticeships are open to people of all ages now!

Ooh, excellent. Thank you for that! I've been told I couldn't but I will look into it. Thanks!

i cannot tell you how excited to have found this thread..i have wreseled with the idea of registering this year, i am 33 and have ALWAYS wanted to rewind time and go back to college and study hair since i have such a passion for it but i always had that doubt that i misssed the boat, all of you guys have just pressed my drive button and have gave me huge inspiration to just get going with it this year xxx:hug:

I'll be honest with you I've taken on a 30 year old and she's learning she's reliable willing and eager to to learn. I've never heard her come in and talk to colleagues about how drunk she's got the night before unlike an apprentice that I took on arrived always 10mins late smelt of alcohol and fags and always spoke to fellow workers in front of clients about how drunk she got the night before. I got to say I got the apprentice out with a fortnight. Give me an older more mature person anyday. I need people who are gonna be on the ball all the time. I deal with a high end of celebrity clientele and don't have teen talk out on the floor I like maturity and pleasantness so your never too old GO FOR IT and don't let age hold you back your young.

I love you! Haven't read through whole thread yet but had to reply. It is a shame that more people don't have your attitude towards 'older' starters!

One thing i found when i did hairdressing (already a beauty therapist) was that it is very ageist so it is good to hear it being said that older can be more reliable and acceptable x

Can someone explain the rules to me. Can I take on an older apprentice for the same 100 quid a week that I can take on a youngster for? How long are they paid this before it has to go up?
There is def a good argument for older apprentices, but I have always thought they had to be min wage, and £200 quid a week is beyond what I can afford for a non income producing person.

Thank you so much Rubyreasons for your reply. It sounds like you have certainly done well. Congratulations to you..especially having children. When I left school I too was told to choose a career either as a secretary or care for children. So similar to you, I have done both I was a caring for children/babies as a nanny for some years and a PA. Have always had this interest in being creative and love to make people feel special. Im just thinking about whether to study NVQ or do an apprenticeship?

I do feel I have the passion to do this, after all these years :)

Then go for it. It is better to try than to live with regret. Wish you all the best.

Can someone explain the rules to me. Can I take on an older apprentice for the same 100 quid a week that I can take on a youngster for? How long are they paid this before it has to go up?
There is def a good argument for older apprentices, but I have always thought they had to be min wage, and £200 quid a week is beyond what I can afford for a non income producing person.

*shoots one hand in the air*
id let you train me for free persianista!!:biggrin:

on a serious note though i can understand your point,do you think this could well be a problem for us more matured? xx

*shoots one hand in the air*
id let you train me for free persianista!!:biggrin:

on a serious note though i can understand your point,do you think this could well be a problem for us more matured? xx

I don't know! I can't seem to work out what the rules are!

I do agree that a switched on, motivated apprentice with a bit of savvy has got to be better than what I am currently training.

Thank you I will certainly give my best. Going to meet with a salon manager at a Salon in London this week, to discuss what the next step should be. Appreciate the message :) x

Apprenticeships are roughly £100 for the first year regardless of age. However over 18 will be paid the minimum wage the second year, I'm pretty sure 21 will also be minimum wage which is still a bit more than the 18. That's why some salons aren't willing to get older apprenticeships because they are more expensive.

Hope this helps x

Apprenticeships are roughly £100 for the first year regardless of age. However over 18 will be paid the minimum wage the second year, I'm pretty sure 21 will also be minimum wage which is still a bit more than the 18. That's why some salons aren't willing to get older apprenticeships because they are more expensive.

Hope this helps x

Thanks ShannonJo..interesting to hear about the apprenticeship side and what they pay. I may actually save up more money for a course and then enquire to locals salons and see if they want to take an apprentice on. I did speak to one of the managers at Trevor Sorbie salon and they did say that they do prefer to take on older apprentice's. Was nice to hear. Cheers :)

I'll be honest with you I've taken on a 30 year old and she's learning she's reliable willing and eager to to learn. I've never heard her come in and talk to colleagues about how drunk she's got the night before unlike an apprentice that I took on arrived always 10mins late smelt of alcohol and fags and always spoke to fellow workers in front of clients about how drunk she got the night before. I got to say I got the apprentice out with a fortnight. Give me an older more mature person anyday. I need people who are gonna be on the ball all the time. I deal with a high end of celebrity clientele and don't have teen talk out on the floor I like maturity and pleasantness so your never too old GO FOR IT and don't let age hold you back your young.

I WONDER IF YOU COULD HELP ME , DO YOU KNOW ANY SALONS IN THE CARDIFF AND SURROUNDING AREA WITH AN ATTITUDE TOWARDS MATURE APPLICANTS LIKE MYSELF

I am 28 and qualified with Saks Academies level 2 in Cardiff after paying £10,000 for a private course two years ago but as the business went under it took me almost two years to get my certificates. In this time I was unable to get myself a graduate position anywhere due to no proof of qualification and a lot of age discrimination, and now feel like I have forgot and lost any skills I had learnt. I loved my training and became very confident especially with colours but I now feel like I remember very little and would like to refresh my level two and hopefully continue to do level three then work on becoming a colour technician. Do you offer apprenticeship positions in Cardiff at the level I am at or offer training courses to refresh ?

Thanks

I WONDER IF YOU COULD HELP ME , DO YOU KNOW ANY SALONS IN THE CARDIFF AND SURROUNDING AREA WITH AN ATTITUDE TOWARDS MATURE APPLICANTS LIKE MYSELF

I am 28 and qualified with Saks Academies level 2 in Cardiff after paying £10,000 for a private course two years ago but as the business went under it took me almost two years to get my certificates. In this time I was unable to get myself a graduate position anywhere due to no proof of qualification and a lot of age discrimination, and now feel like I have forgot and lost any skills I had learnt. I loved my training and became very confident especially with colours but I now feel like I remember very little and would like to refresh my level two and hopefully continue to do level three then work on becoming a colour technician. Do you offer apprenticeship positions in Cardiff at the level I am at or offer training courses to refresh ?

Thanks

Ken Picton salon in cardiff is recruiting! Have a look on their facebook page ;)

Good luck x

One of the guys in our salon started at 30 he's now manager and amazing !!

Hi all,

I'm 33 years old and just started my hairdressing course at college last week (1st year).

Myself and a class mate are both the same age and I've noticed the other students in my class can be a bit immature in they way they present themselves (talking to lecturers and other students). There is a girl who is 27 and even though she does try to compose herself sometimes she slips.

Now I can be as common as muck but in the salon and in the college I compose myself and get on with the job at hand. I don't drink much if at all and even if I did I wouldn't be bragging about it in front of clients (or at all!).

Most places are always looking for school leavers but you are never too old to learn. My friend was in her 40's when she started, she's 50 now.

:)

Yes I will be 50 at Christmas and just starting my level 3 . And loving it all

Latest posts

Back