Has how you look ever affected you in the workplace?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkSwoon

Reaction score
Evening Geeks :)

An interesting topic I thought of whilst exfoliating in the bath (lol).

Long story short I left college the summer just gone, I've been unable to get a job & I'm absolutely convinced it's because of the way I look. Every time I've attended an interview I've made sure I look sharp & professional, obviously I wear makeup but not too much, I know how much is too much so it's not because I look brash or I've got a caked on face. I've never heard one thing back from one interview, not ever! & on the one interview I had where I didn't wear makeup, the interviewee had nothing but positive comments about me. Looking back on interviews I can't think of a single thing which means it would come down to me not getting the job except for the way I look, (although I am aware A LOT of people are applying for jobs at the minute so it is hard to be distinguished) I don't mean this in a vain way at all, I'm far from vain, I'm ok with the way I look but that's as far as it goes, I'm just good with makeup but I think it's more of an intimidation thing, women are very territorial! It's doing my head in but I don't want to dumb myself down or sell myself short.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this in the workplace? Anything remotely related? I'd love to hear stories, as always :) sucker for a story.

x

Have you ever asked them for feedback?

Don't let it get to you, its rare now that places get back to you after an interview.
I agree with Lynn, ask for feedback.
Wishing you all the best of luck in the future xoxo

When I was applying for jobs when I first started I found that employers liked people with experience!! It's very very difficult to get into this industry! Keep ur head up and it will come!! I'd just about given up when I got a call!! :) it's happened to all of us x

Quitters never win and winners never quit... Keep on chicken and you'll get there ;)

Quitters never win and winners never quit... Keep on chicken and you'll get there ;)

Lovely quote. Something I think we should have stuck in the staff room xoxo

To me it's nothing about looks,you don't judge a book by its cover...
It's about the person and ability thay can provide
I am 42 looking 62 wear make up size 14/16
Have a therapist 25...larger girl 22/24 with a big bubbly way about her...and hope she never changes her ways..
Then my little diva size 10 lots of make up..hair extentions,latest shoes..
It's all about fitting in team work.

Most of the time I've been slated for being too big (I'm an 18) so pretty much regular in the world but not in the world of beauty in some peoples eyes.

I went to a friends house for her birthday a couple of months back and one of her other friends was asking where she could go to get her beauty stuff done, my friend immediately mentioned me and said that I was just sat outside. The friend took one look at me (eating so not the most attractive way to see someone) and straight out said to my friend well she can't be a beauty therapist, shes way too fat and she doesn't even look like a beauty therapist, wheres her uniform and her lovely hair?!

My friend told me what she said about a week after and I thought back to what I was wearing and how I looked, I had just washed my hair so it was slightly wet and curly but I was wearing nice clothes and had make up on cause it was her birthday and I just laughed. How can someone judge and discriminate so badly? If I knew she'd said that at the party I would have like given her a voucher for a free massage or something and would have proven that I am a pretty damn good therapist!!

Sorry for the essay but thought the story was appropriate for the question!

Leanne
X

I have been judged and sad to say judged others when employing. It's a fact of life and human nature. The one I judged ended up being my best employee big boss told me to give her a go, glad she did. Reason was weight we worked in a small space it was very busy and you often had to squeeze past each other. Boss said what's the prob just get her to move out when someone needed to get past. I was also judged on weight after being employed 3 mnts later boss that judged me admitted he was wrong and I was best worker. I try not to judge anyone mine where based on practical issues not personality. Not beauty related jobs however, in beauty I think great appearance is a plus as is personality so you do need both just to get foot in door. Qualifications are a issue too I got my first salon job on qualifications worked there for a few years but then decided it was more practical to start own business. Once you get a job it's easier, have you thought of going self employed.

If I were to employ someone, appearance would be very important. I would want them to look smart and well turned out! I agree with Lynne and Tomme that you should ask for feedback.

Afternoon everyone! It's interesting to listen to all of your views, as to being smart and polished, that's what I would want as an employer too! I just hope it's a sign that I haven't found the perfect job yet! I'm hoping to go self employed at some point next year (going back to college in Sept yay!) I genuinely think it's the only way forward for me, since I've been a little one I've never pictured myself working for someone else, I'm sure most Geeks can relate! I think it's an entrepreneurial thing!

Leanne that's horrible that someone would say that, I'd be so frustrated but like you said it's only going to bite them in the ass when you know your worth!

x

I hate to say it but I honestly believe that you are judged in your appearance - I don't agree with it but its life.
Ie if you drive an expensive shiny car people think you are rich, drive a dirty old banger people would think you are poor!!!!
I think even more so in this business of beauty, because if you are not " beautiful" yourself how can your client feel confident that their treatment will be good quality or beautiful. It shouldn't be like that but it is
However to turn it on its head.
I left the police after 10 years to follow my passion - beauty therapy.
I'm an attractive female, take pride in my appearance, wear makeup, have nice nails. I was a dog handler for most of my career so hands on and not afraid to get dirty. But those that didn't really know me never took me seriously because I didn't meet the stereotypical idea they had for a hands on female copper!!!!!For that people said I fluttered my eyelashes to get what I wanted etc when in reality I had to work harder than everyone to earn the respect I deserved. When I offered advice re dog training I was rarely listened too!!!! I was bloody good at my job but felt I was never taken seriously because of what I looked like, whereas in this industry my appearance helps bring in clients. It's a catch 22 situation - like I said I don't agree with it but that's how it is :(

f.widdows, that is EXACTLY what I'm getting at! It's so bl**dy frustrating, I feel stupid & inferior to everyone else, I can't wait to become a self employed boss lady! Hopefully then I will be taken seriously & people will see that I mean business!

Well its like when you go into a new hair salon to get your hair done. I've heard plenty of people including hair dressers say always go to the person with the really bad haircut because then you know that you won't get it cause someone else cut their hair!!

It's bad but I hear it all the time!!

Leanne
X

You are definitely judged on appearance at an interview its human nature its the first thing we see, the first judgement think of it as a first date.
You look alright from your picture though i cant see an initial problem.
You say you don't want to dumb yourself down do you wear a particular make up style.I don't agree with all this well this is me crap if it doesn't get you the job you want then dress and act in the way it will our whole life sometimes is a bloody charade in someway.

As sad as it is, we are all judged in every aspect of our lives.

I'm a short haired biker who loves rock music, so most people I meet think I'm a lesbian & have been asked on many occasions if I'm the butch 1 !!
People are seriously shocked to find out I have girly moments, love shoes, spend a fortune with my hairdresser ever 6 weeks & I do nails as a career.

With regards to the appearance at interviews, you sound like you fit the typical interview look, smart & tidy, not too much make-up / perfume, so I'd ring your last few asking for feedback & see why they didn't choose you.

This is me, when I was a student nurse back in the late 80s
I was told that it was inappropriate for a nurse to have a bleached blond skinhead hair cut and that I would be disciplined if I didn't allow it grow out.
I took no notice of them and sure enough, I was given a written warning.
Was I judged on my exam marks and my exemplary performance as a nurse?
Nope. I was judged on the way I looked.
Apologies for the size!
lynne%20modelling.jpeg

I was talking to my daughter about how her evening went last night she went out to a trendy little town with a few of her friends and one of which is a guy who is just wonderfully talented and flamboyant and an absolute joy to be around but because of the way he was dressed he had to leave the pub because he was getting abused the girls were of course sticking up for him and then they all got in an argument,but it just goes to show for all the tolerance etc we are supposed to have nowadays ignorance still prevails and not much changes.
Although as my daughter said if they go out in London he either gets admired or ignored certainly not abused.

That's a beautiful picture Lynne.

You should see some of the students now! It's a minority I'm glad to say, but still shocking at times.

Latest posts

Back