Hate being self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani04

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have my own wee salon and have done for over two years. We have had many ups and downs but unfortunatly i just hate being self employed :-(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Awww hun that's a shame :)

What is it you don't like about it? Is it the responsibility?

Personally I can't ever imagine working for anyone else again now I've been self employed for 10 years but then I work from a home salon so it might be different I'm guessing.

Aw Hun. If you need anything, any help or even just a coffee and a chat, just give me a shout. I mean it xxx

It's ok to say this. Lots of people rave about being self employed because it's working for them and I genuinely do take my hat off to them. On the other side of the coin, I personally think that self employment is overrated in many ways because although it's a load off your mind not having to comply with every little infuriating thing that a boss might throw at you, you end up taking on a new range of challenges and these aren't ones that everyone is happy to take on and that's ok.

The things I don't like about self employment is that I am convinced it is a saturated market so trying to advertise makes me feel a bit silly. It's also stressful not being able to make an estimate of what you'll earn and you end up budgeting your whole life in a way that doesn't feel proportionate to your genuine earning potential as an individual.

I sense that a lot of the salon geek population are self employed and whilst it's easy to feel overwhelmed by the hype about self employment, it genuinely isn't for everyone and that's ok.

Personally I don't want to be in beauty for that long that I can justify building a business that I know I'll probably walk away from anyway. Not to be all negative but I just want to offer some insight and empathy because sometimes someone telling you to hand out more leaflets or manage people differently is not what you always want to hear.

Can I just add, it's not just about being busy or not. I'm fortunate that my salon is busy enough but that in itself brings it's own problems and stresses...my Wella bill is going up each month which is a reflection on business but it's still stressful looking at all the bills going out!

Aww thanks guys. I like the responsability I would just like a set income a month so I can plan to save etc. Getting a mortgage etc is so hard when your self employed :-(.

Aww thanks guys. I like the responsability I would just like a set income a month so I can plan to save etc. Getting a mortgage etc is so hard when your self employed :-(.

Thems are pretty much my thoughts. If I was going off job satisfaction alone I would hold self employment in massively high regard because for what it's worth it can be quite enjoyable but when it comes to the money side of it, the restrictions that come with it are sizable enough that it's ok to feel put off.

Eeeeek - I'm just about to take the plunge into self-employment (and being an employer) and reading this has made me doubly worried:Scared:

Eeeeek - I'm just about to take the plunge into self-employment (and being an employer) and reading this has made me doubly worried:Scared:

Don't be put off. I often talk according to my own bias and if you think that self employment is the way forward for you and this is what you genuinely want then go for it. It's better to have a fair go at it and make your own conclusions than always wonder about what could have been.

The business is surving and doing ok and im constantly getting busier. But I woulf just like to get say£800 a month and know its mines if that makes any sense.w

Self employment will make you or break you. I don't even make anything over just to pay my personal bills. NOT including my rent.

Just have to be prepared to make barely any money and work all the hours under the sun for a year.

Also you can't save, get a mortgage, be able to afford luxuries for quite a while.

People say to me "being your own boss must be brilliant. All the money you make is yours." My reply is "yes, I love making £75 a week approx for 60 hours work all hours of the day."

At times I hate it and want to opt for a regular wage.

Thats exactly how i feel just now.

It's ok to say this. Lots of people rave about being self employed because it's working for them and I genuinely do take my hat off to them. On the other side of the coin, I personally think that self employment is overrated in many ways because although it's a load off your mind not having to comply with every little infuriating thing that a boss might throw at you, you end up taking on a new range of challenges and these aren't ones that everyone is happy to take on and that's ok.

The things I don't like about self employment is that I am convinced it is a saturated market so trying to advertise makes me feel a bit silly. It's also stressful not being able to make an estimate of what you'll earn and you end up budgeting your whole life in a way that doesn't feel proportionate to your genuine earning potential as an individual.

I sense that a lot of the salon geek population are self employed and whilst it's easy to feel overwhelmed by the hype about self employment, it genuinely isn't for everyone and that's ok.

Personally I don't want to be in beauty for that long that I can justify building a business that I know I'll probably walk away from anyway. Not to be all negative but I just want to offer some insight and empathy because sometimes someone telling you to hand out more leaflets or manage people differently is not what you always want to hear.

Horses for courses and some of us just aren't cut out for the challenge/uncertainty of working for ourselves. Some people need more than job satisfaction to pay the bills at the end of the month and know they're absolutely definitely going to have the means to do it.

You are unlikely to ever become rich by working for someone else but clearly neither are a lot of the self employed. However, you go to your job, do your stint and come home again, job done. You can then just wait for the money to reliably land in your account. Mind you, we need people who are prepared to take the risk in the first place, or the rest of us would have nobody to work for! :biggrin:

Self employment will make you or break you.

People say to me "being your own boss must be brilliant. All the money you make is yours." My reply is "yes, I love making £75 a week approx for 60 hours work all hours of the day."

At times I hate it and want to opt for a regular wage.

This is just plain ludicrous!! :hug:

Self employed isn't for all, but it is possible to be successful if you are 100% committed and retain enthusiasm and motivation. I started my salon nearly 7 years ago, and even though I work alone I'm now making £20-22k a year profit before tax.

Self employed isn't for all, but it is possible to be successful if you are 100% committed and retain enthusiasm and motivation. I started my salon nearly 7 years ago, and even though I work alone I'm now making £20-22k a year profit before tax.

I have lost my drive and cant seem to find it again :-(. It could be the biggest regret of my life if i close but it might not be

Most of my drive comes from the need to pay my mortgage, but it have to say I think its training etc that keeps me interested and excited in my job. Even just having my Decléor and Jessica rep visiting helps me feel less alone, and helps maintain the excitement of new things that are up and coming! I also try to go on two or three training courses a year to meet other therapists and learn new skills.

I 100% agree.

However don't you feel.... generally asking your opinion, not being obnoxious.... that 7 years of lots and lots of utter hard work and sleepless nights at times I'm sure, £20-£22k a year pre tax CAN be considered a standard wage yet I'm sure you have lots more stress and work?

Don't get me wrong I strive towards the same so not knocking it as I can't deal with working for someone full time.

I'm probably not a typical case as I've never had a sleepless night over business (I've never been a worrier), and I only work 4 and a half days a week (I refuse to work after lunchtime on a Saturday, and never after 5.00pm on a weekday), and take about 8 weeks holiday a year (made up of 6 weeks holidaying and the rest odd Saturdays that I have off for morris dancing)! There's not many jobs in my locality where I could have all that, do a job I enjoy and be on that sort of money.

I'm probably not a typical case as I've never had a sleepless night over business (I've never been a worrier), and I only work 4 and a half days a week (I refuse to work after lunchtime on a Saturday), I never work after 5.00pm, and take about 8 weeks holiday a year (made up of 6 weeks holidaying and two weeks of weekends I have off for morris dancing)! There's not many jobs in my locality where I could have all that, do a job I enjoy and be on that sort of money.

What?? If i could do all off this i would love being self employed. I have had about 5 days off in over 2 years.

Latest posts

Back