Hate January!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley865

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a couple of marketing questions was hoping you could give me your advice and opinions!?

Does anyone know another free advertising site like gumtree which you post pics and offers on?

Also, as January is always quiet, I'm thinking of getting some leaflets out but wondered if this would be a silly time to do that, as nobody has any money in January so they just bin them!?? Anyone found leafletting in this month worth while?

In such a bad mood at the min, I've got salons opening up all around me and although I'm starting to build a great regular clientele, I find foot traffic past my salon is all oap's who never come in my salon as it's quite modern.. I wonder what I can do next to bring more clients in! I have gone through Lynne's thread so many times and done all thats on there. I've got posters up, flashing open sign, it's decorated lovely inside.. but I find i'm running out of idea's!

Google free advertising, quite a lot of sites offer you to upload photos now days. I've done it with so many its hard to remember which ones I've used!

Leafleting is usually 1:100, so not the best form of advertising.

Do you want the OAPs? If so, maybe use an A board with an OAP offer or day (a quiet day) at a discount rate on things like Manicures, Pedi's, file n polish, facials, Shampoo n set, wash, cut n blow dry or what ever your salon offers, or catch them outside with a smile and a leaflet.

Jan is a quiet month for most, but if you can tempt clients with a good offer (with minimal cost to you) they will (should) jump at the chance to get a little pamper cheaper than they will in Feb. Or Target your client base, with a recommend a friend offer...

Good luck xx

Have you tried Netmums? Iposted an add there last night and I had an email enquiry this morning from it x

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

Thankyou both for the advice! I've had a good look on google and found lots to post on.. and I haven't tried net mums thanks for telling me, going to post on there, great idea!

Another salon is opening in my old premises, I moved as it was too small for me and now have a bigger shop a few doors along.. but its upsetting that I decorated in there and they wont have much to do .. there are already enough salons where I am! But I have my regulars thankfully.

Hi, do you have an email list and/or a facebook page? What about the idea of running a short promotion - maybe for six weeks - and promoting it to your current clients using email and facebook posts with a special promotion. SMS can be good too if you are set up with that. If you're interested, I'd be happy to help you with the strategy.

Free advertising is good but do you know that your target clients go where those ads are?

January was always quiet for me in my salon - a huge drop off after the Christmas craziness. I used to plan a January promotion and it worked really well.

Just on the other salons opening up - you could view it as a good thing as it indicates demand for salon services. My feeling on this one is that you need to choose a target market (if you haven't already) and start to get your message out there around that particular market. Again, I'd be happy to offer some advice if you're interested to know more.

Hi Hayley

We're friends on FB and I know you have a profile page but do you have a 'like' page too? Thats worked wonders for me! I post pictures, and articles and advice once a day. Also do you have a website? I started off with a free one which was brill until I could afford another.

Netmums was also good when I first started. Also post on Twitter at least 4 times a day. Check out Thurrock Council too, I have been on some great free marketing and advice courses, they really want to help out local businesses with their low carbon programme.

Also get to know other businesses, they're such a friendly buzz in Thurrock amongst businesses large and small! Have you tried any networking groups?

Check every place you can list yourself on free, hotfrog, qype etc.

Please feel free to shout me as I am local and I can give you more information specific to the area. I am happy to take some cards as I am always getting asked for hair recommendations and I would love to be able to leave my details in your salon too.

I wanted a week off in January to do my PTLLS course and its been a nightmare as I am still getting enquiries for that week!

Good luck and there's some great ideas from geeks on here!

Nat x

On the note of free ads-it doesn't have to be if someone goes on the free ad website- to find you, it just helps you show up in your area (if you describe your self well) if someone googles hairdressers xxxx (area) essex. Then they can click on the free website advert and see your ad.

Have you googled yourself? Are you on the 1st page? Xx

Thanks so much ladies for the tips!

I had quite a busy day today with lots of bookings coming in through recommendations - its crazy how one day is quiet then the next is busy, and then you wonder why you were worrying!

Nat - I do have a like page also but find it hard to get likes so just gave up with it! If you have any advice on how to get people on there that would be fab. Yes of course I would love to put some of your cards on my reception, you can send some in if you like? PM me and I will send some out to you aswell! Or PM me on Facebook if you like! I'm glad to see you're busy thats great!

x

Hi there, we found we had certain days that were really quiet so I put a board out with a pensioners offer on that day- it's now my busiest day! That might be worth trying, also Facebook and yell.com work well for us :)

We have lots of OAPs coming into our salon, but what can I do to get them to spend with me in beauty? I regularly come out of my room and go into the salon/hair area and offer free file and polish or massage their hands with hand cream to try to get them to have a service with me. Any ideas what I can offer elderly ladies?

Shellac manicures! They are so popular with my older ladies they are amazed by their lasting capabilities with all the gardening and church flowers hee he!
No seriously though with the instant drying I'm no longer irritated at redoing their smudged nails!!

Hi, I had a lot of OAP's that I would see in an old people's home. Some would come to me in my salon. I think the trick is to simply ask them what services they are after and that way you can give them what they say then want. I found manicures popular, pedicures, hand massage, facial waxing, brows and tinting. I still think though that you need to find out what they want and then put together some sort of promotion for this group and then go out and promote to that group. Perhaps ask the satisfied clients to tell their friends and then give them (and their friend) an incentive if the friend books in. When you're out in the salon area, you can tell them about the promotion and just on that, can you have some sort of sign or leaflets or something in the hair area?

1:100??? I heard that too.

My experience though is 1:1800 :rolleyes:

Good exercise though and I walked the dog at the same time so hey!

Latest posts

Back