Have run out of developer, need help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizziebabe

Reaction score
hi guys....need your industry knowledge here....I have run out of diacolor developer and cant get to the suppliers...I have someone in whos having just a flat dark brown richesse tomorrow and for he life of me cant remember how to dilute 20% peroxide to weaken it as a semi developer...any help would be most appreciated :)

Do u mean you have 20 vol (6%)?

Diarichesse and dialight use 6vol, 9vol and 15vol but the 9vol (2.7%) is the standard developer.

Please don't try and dilute it down with water.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Do u mean you have 20 vol (6%)?

Diarichesse and dialight use 6vol, 9vol and 15vol but the 9vol (2.7%) is the standard developer.

Please don't try and dilute it down with water.

You can dilute peroxide with water. It's actually taught in college and its in the exams.

However maths is not my strong point so I wouldn't like to advise on the ratios.

Agree with adamlea87 on this one.

Diluting peroxide to reduce the strength is ok in an emergency when you are dealing with the same product type. For example, diluting 30vol to make 20vol.

However, in this instance the developer required for this particular tint is from a different (albeit related) range and so personally, I wouldn't risk it.

The developer solution contains other chemicals and not just pure peroxide and as it's a weak peroxide mix anyway, diluting it with water might have unexpected consequences, not to mention possibly invalidating your insurance.

You can dilute liquid peroxide with distilled water. There are some colourists that use buy 130 volume and dilute it down with a hydrometer.

But if you tried this with a creme developer I feel it would make the product too runny to use.

I would also imagine it would make the final product slighly more alkaline because you would also dilute the acid in the developer, although the effect may be negliable.

If you still wanted to dilute it with water you would mix: 50ml 20 vol + 55ml water = 9vol.

To turn 20 vol into 10 vol (which is what u need I think ) you need to add one part peroxide to one part water. So for example 35mls peroxide 35 mls hot water.

my local chemist sells small bottles of peroxide for emergencies , they often have 10volume

I didn't know you could still buy peroxide from your local chemist?

yes.. ours sell crème peroxide on the shelf, (tiny bottles) and liquid behind the counter

Latest posts

Back