Having nail extensions for 1st time years..Acrylics or gels?!?!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo2020

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this site...
the nail world is so interesting.. (without wanting to sound sad!) lol.
So anyway...
I used to have acrylics done for months on end at an awful vietnamese salon, I used to think it was great but looking back they were SO bad. They wore masks, used drills, made my cuticles bleed.. I actually thought this was what happened when you had nail extensions done. SO wrong.
After the damage they caused to my nails I was put off from ever having them done again. My nails got some health back but i have never ever re gained their original growth potential and they always peel.
So, I wanted extensions again, this time though I was on a mission to get a good technician.. I'd educated myself a bit more through the internet...
Went to get a full set of gels done which were really nice, and she used a file and buffer rather than a drill, just a completely different experience!! It was £35.00 and was local to me, they looked so natural and shiny, everyone thought they were gorgeous, the only problem was that she is always so busy so going to her every 2 weeks for infills is a nightmare cos she is NEVER free. So.... with my new view on nail extensions.. I searched to find nail technicians , with a fairly reasonable price but obviously not cheap.
I was keen on O.P.I but they charge £70 for acrylics... Is it me or is that ridiculous? Im sure they do a good job, but imagine payiing for those infills every 2 weeks!! So I searched for others with my main criteria being NO DRILL and a tech who actually cares about causing as little damage as possible to the natural nail!
Found a place called ****** in covent garden, they charge £55 for acrylics and gel nails and they said they use files and buffers and take care an wot not....the girl told me that acrylics, despite what people say, are not anymore damaging than gel , they are only damaging if removed improperly. Is this true? I told her acrylic looks faker and she said well it depends on whose doing it, she does them natural looking. Can this be done????

Found a place called ******* which is local to me the girl just does gel nails for £45... Also just uses a file and a buffer...

Wot does everyone think??? Gel or acrylic.... Which salon? A local one who has an experienced qualified technician or a glamorous central london salon where i can feel nice and pampered for a bit of a price.. with an experienced and qualified tech?!?!??!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya and welcome to the site....All systems including Gels are Acrylic so no, non is better/worse than another.

What you where told by the lady in Covent Garden is correct....it very much depends on who is doing them. Any damage caused is by either poor nail technicians or clients who don't look after there nails.

I thought gel and acrylic were different...
I read a post on here somewhere confirming this lol

I thought gel and acrylic were different...
I read a post on here somewhere confirming this lol

There is Gel and L&P (liquid and powder)....both are Acrylic.

Neither just sat there on your nail plate will penetrate and cause damage.:)

There is Gel and L&P (liquid and powder)....both are Acrylic.

Neither just sat there on your nail plate will penetrate and cause damage.:)

I dont get it.. i take it ur an expert.. i need ur knowledge!!! lol.
Wot do you mean when you say neither just sat there my nail plate would penetrate and cause damage...
ne way my main question is , if a really good tech is doing my nails, ur saying it makes no difference whether i have acrylic nails or gel nails?x

If you like gel nails then I would stick with them or whichever is the cheapest? As you will need to keep going back to look after them properly. I would go somewhere locally. Should you break a nail it will be allot easier to arrange an appointment? JMO

I dont get it.. i take it ur an expert.. i need ur knowledge!!! lol.
Wot do you mean when you say neither just sat there my nail plate would penetrate and cause damage...
ne way my main question is , if a really good tech is doing my nails, ur saying it makes no difference whether i have acrylic nails or gel nails?x

Hi and welcome to the site. You've come to a professional forum so everyone here is an expert - although some much more experienced than others - and we are taught first and formost that the most important thing is the well being of the natural nail!:lol:

There are 3 main systems but they ALL come under the acrylic umbrella.

They each are applied differently and have different requirements to become a nail enhancements - gel needs uv light or an activator, Liquid needs powder (and vice versa!) and fibreglass needs resin and activator. When done correctly they will ALL be thin, natural looking nails. The damage is done during incorrect preparation (as per the NSS salon you used to go to) or a client prising off the enhancement. The product itself does not damage the nail. Which system you chose is all about personal preference or which system the technician uses. xx

Hi I am new to this site...
the nail world is so interesting.. (without wanting to sound sad!) lol.
So anyway...
I used to have acrylics done for months on end at an awful vietnamese salon, I used to think it was great but looking back they were SO bad. They wore masks, used drills, made my cuticles bleed.. I actually thought this was what happened when you had nail extensions done. SO wrong.
After the damage they caused to my nails I was put off from ever having them done again. My nails got some health back but i have never ever re gained their original growth potential and they always peel.
So, I wanted extensions again, this time though I was on a mission to get a good technician.. I'd educated myself a bit more through the internet...
Went to get a full set of gels done which were really nice, and she used a file and buffer rather than a drill, just a completely different experience!! It was £35.00 and was local to me, they looked so natural and shiny, everyone thought they were gorgeous, the only problem was that she is always so busy so going to her every 2 weeks for infills is a nightmare cos she is NEVER free. So.... with my new view on nail extensions.. I searched to find nail technicians , with a fairly reasonable price but obviously not cheap.
I was keen on O.P.I but they charge £70 for acrylics... Is it me or is that ridiculous? Im sure they do a good job, but imagine payiing for those infills every 2 weeks!! So I searched for others with my main criteria being NO DRILL and a tech who actually cares about causing as little damage as possible to the natural nail!
Found a place called ****** in covent garden, they charge £55 for acrylics and gel nails and they said they use files and buffers and take care an wot not....the girl told me that acrylics, despite what people say, are not anymore damaging than gel , they are only damaging if removed improperly. Is this true? I told her acrylic looks faker and she said well it depends on whose doing it, she does them natural looking. Can this be done????

Found a place called ******* which is local to me the girl just does gel nails for £45... Also just uses a file and a buffer...

Wot does everyone think??? Gel or acrylic.... Which salon? A local one who has an experienced qualified technician or a glamorous central london salon where i can feel nice and pampered for a bit of a price.. with an experienced and qualified tech?!?!??!

Hi and welcome.....first off...gel and acrylic IS the same....acrylic is liquid and powder ....gel is the l &p but already mixed if you get what i mean !!...

Removing gels or acrylic with NO experience IS damaging the natural nail....you can rip your gel/acrylic off and rip natural nails with it.....

You can make acrylic/gel nails look natural...you need a good nail tech !!!....

There have been LOADS of talks about drills....its not the tools that cause the damage,its the people using them.....

Its up to you which nail tech you go to....just stay away from the ones you use to go to xxxx

Latest posts

Back