Having second thoughts!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elise

Reaction score
Hi geeks, When i started training in nails a couple of weeks ago i was very excited about getting into the industry and couldnt wait!

Then i realised that there are 40 people on are college course (split into 2 groups) , and they all seem to want to go mobile!

At first this dident bother me because i thought there's bound to be people dropping out ( as there are on most courses in my local college) but the opposite has happened more are joining!!!

I dont mind a bit of healthy competition, not in the least, but ive just been thinking 40 plus girls wanting to go mobile in my area, all at the same time and me being with the biggest disadvantage of all , i dont yet drive!!!

I in love with the idea of becoming a trained nail tech, but im thinking im out of my depth and at the end of it all wont even be able to get any clients:cry:

Im sure im not the first nails student to be thinking this but i guess i didnt realise how hard this industry was to get into:irked:

they might not all pass there course straight away. be good at what you are doing, practise loads, try to start building your clients as soon as you can. its tough out here but worth it ,stick with it allx i am glad i did:)

To be honest, i doubt very much that all 40 of them will go mobile. Some will probably not bother doing anything after they have the certificate, some will try mobile and if they don't get any clients (like straight away), they will give up on the idea and some may go and work salons.

I wouldn't worry about it too much just enjoy your course and make sure you are spreading the word that you will be doing nails when you have qualification and insurance, then make sure you're the best you can be so that any clients you do get keep coming back to YOU!

Hi geeks, When i started training in nails a couple of weeks ago i was very excited about getting into the industry and couldnt wait!

Then i realised that there are 40 people on are college course (split into 2 groups) , and they all seem to want to go mobile!

At first this dident bother me because i thought there's bound to be people dropping out ( as there are on most courses in my local college) but the opposite has happened more are joining!!!

I dont mind a bit of healthy competition, not in the least, but ive just been thinking 40 plus girls wanting to go mobile in my area, all at the same time and me being with the biggest disadvantage of all , i dont yet drive!!!

I in love with the idea of becoming a trained nail tech, but im thinking im out of my depth and at the end of it all wont even be able to get any clients:cry:

Im sure im not the first nails student to be thinking this but i guess i didnt realise how hard this industry was to get into:irked:

You have to go with what you feel is right for you. Say you didn't do it, Would be always thinking what if?

If it is a passion of yours, don't supress that feeling, you will build up a clientelle (which will take time) but the rewards for waiting are well worth it. Are you thinking or learning to drive? If you are take that into consideration too. If you are going to be a mobile nail tech then you really do need to be able to drive.

Don't feel low, there is competition around for all of us, we just have to able to keep ourselves one step ahead and get better at what we do.

Good luck with your decisions!:hug:

Teri x

Always be aware of your competition but never let is stop you from doing what you want to do ... just make sure you are better than them.

Hi Elise,

It dosn't matter how many people are on your course, just get to the front of the class, take everything in, ask questions and learn! And then practice all you can to be the best! If this is the career you want then work hard at it and you will be so much better than the people in the class who may be doing it half heartedly (in my experience there's always a few!!)

Also there are other options than mobile to think about. That could be your ultimate goal, but you could think about working in a salon or renting out space in a salon.

Don't give up if its what you really want to do!

years ago..I took a College Course.....and couldn't believe the amount of people in the class...25 at first!!
I won't bore you with why I was doing this course...as I was already a technician....BUT

Only 6 people were still there at the end!!......
and 2 of them IMO only got their Certificates for Good Attendance!!!

So don't let other people put you off you should just be concentrating on YOU!...and YOUR SKILLS...I mean you are already way ahead of everyone in your class...you have found this site!!!

Good Luck.

Thanks all for your advice and support

I will be carring on with my course as i have paid for all equipment, outfit etc and will be taking driving lessons after xmas.

I guess ive just got to do my best and work hard and hope it all pays off in the end:)

Latest posts

Back