Having tattoos in the beauty & hair industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Each to their own, depends on the salon owner & clientele! It doesn't make you any better/worse at your job so it shouldn't matter but it can show a lot about your personality. My mum has this book about professionals with tattoos, on one page there is a picture of like a heart surgeon in all his gear looking very professional and the next page is him in his weekend cest and jeans with his arms, back covered in tattoos!! Its an eye opener. My mum is a manager and health advisor in the nhs, so quiet professional and her whole back is covered in japanese art and all over her shoulder & has a ganesh on the inside of her forearm with an ohm symbol!! You would never notice when shes in her work uniform, and still does her job accordingly

I own a salon in Newcastle and employ 2 girls to work alongside me! I don't have any issues with tattoos on show, as long as my girls have their professional uniform on, I don't see why people should make judgements because of their ink! Just like I wouldn't judge a client if they were inked! My girls are good at what they do, and our clients love them, so that's all that matters! There is a quote on a tattooists Facebook that I know, that says 'the difference between people with ink and people without ink is .... People with ink don't care if your inked or not!'

Ok interesting BUT I do see people with loads of tattoos, like my cleaning lady, lovely, lovely, girl! When I see the decoration down her hands, palms,legs your name it, I don't think "individual" I think self harm and low self esteem! I wish I could just pay to have it removed for her, but SHE likes it otherwise she wouldn't keep getting them.

Im in beauty n done hairdressing in the past n i have 7 tattoos, one on wrist n one on side of hand, n i never have any problems from customers, most mention them n say they look nice. I do think its down to the work you do, not if your professional then tattoos shouldn't make a difference.

I'm heavily tattooed with a full sleeve feet and chest tattooed. my client base ranges from teens professional women to 75yr olds. None of them have judged me on my art they judge me on my work and professional standards. Some think I'm mad some love them all like the standard of art.

The difference is no client will judge you for not having a tattoo, clients will judge you for having them - even if its just a small percentage.

As a salon owner I'd rather staff be judged on there merits and not having tattoos on display means they are.

I own a salon in Newcastle and employ 2 girls to work alongside me! I don't have any issues with tattoos on show, as long as my girls have their professional uniform on, I don't see why people should make judgements because of their ink! Just like I wouldn't judge a client if they were inked! My girls are good at what they do, and our clients love them, so that's all that matters! There is a quote on a tattooists Facebook that I know, that says 'the difference between people with ink and people without ink is .... People with ink don't care if your inked or not!'

Very true, and as therapist we shouldn't judge anyone, some clients are intimidated by young skinny perfect therapist should we cover them up to?

To be honest I'd be surprised if in 2013 many people would have an issue with tattoos, I mean really?

I don't have tattoos myself, and although some aren't to everyone's taste I think a lot of people like their stylist has their own individual sense of style. I think hairdressing is probably easier to get away with tattoos since it is seen as a creative industry.

I say get your tattoos, give your clients a great service, and if they had any judgments about people with tattoos when they came in, they might feel different when they leave!

I said every one has an opinion and not every is right. No where did I say because I have tattoos I'm right and everyone is wrong!!

So just because you dont agree with their opinion means they are wrong? Everyones opinion is individual and there is no right or wrong

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I personally dont have any, but I wouldn't mind but in my own opinion it depends on the design. I don't like the look of females that are covered in tatts and that have edgy tattoos that look like they have no meaning. I personally like tattoos that look like they have meaning are look "elegant" meaning small simple ones.
Small tattoos on the wist or script tattoos i like but the overwhelming dramatic "covered in ink" tattoos I don't!

I am 19 I have 6 tats and love ink, i want to get more loads more. Is there any prejudice against people with ink in the hair and beauty industry? I have had 9/10 most salons love my ink and my style, saying I look like a individual hairstylist.

What's your view on heavily inked hair stylists or beauticians? Is it tacky, unprofessional or special and unique? As a employer what's your views?

I have one on each wrist so unable to conceal them they are personal to me. Ones a design with my mum and brothers initals and the other says ohana which is family.
Clients hardly ever notice them and not one client has told me they dont like them, people who say they hate tattoos even say they like them.
I think it depends on what and where it is but at the end of the day its your body and hair and beauty is a very individual thing so the same should go for tattoos.
I think as long as your giving a professional good quality treatment what harm is a tattoo going to do? :)

It's a tricky one. My closest friend and I had tats done when we were about 17, and we're 50 next year. Mine is tiny and on my thigh. She has gone on to be covered. She has sleeves, crouching tigers - all sorts. BUT if I could afford it, I would employ her as my receptionist because she has the best attitude to work of anyone I know, and not only her customer service, but her customer skills are second to none. She works for a large hairdresser chain in London as a receptionist, although she is on the phones rather than on the front desk, but she has had flowers delivered from well known clients of the very well known hairdresser, because her customer/booking/reception skills are so good!!! She would turn anyone's opinion of a 'tattoo'ed' person. Ultimately, as with a lot of things, we have choices, and if self employed you can do what you like, and if an employer, you have to look at the staff who you interview as individuals. I would much rather employ a person with tats who is going to support my business and work hard, than not employ them simply because they have tats!

I would not judge someone's ability upon whether or not they have body art.

Last edited:
So just because you dont agree with their opinion means they are wrong? Everyones opinion is individual and there is no right or wrong

You certainly seem to be picking on everything I am saying!

I have not said anywhere that I don't agree with anyone's opinion.

I said everyone has one, not everyone's is right. Meaning not everyone will agree with people opinions. To some people it may be right to others it may not!

I have one on each wrist so unable to conceal them they are personal to me. Ones a design with my mum and brothers initals and the other says ohana which is family.
Clients hardly ever notice them and not one client has told me they dont like them, people who say they hate tattoos even say they like them.
I think it depends on what and where it is but at the end of the day its your body and hair and beauty is a very individual thing so the same should go for tattoos.
I think as long as your giving a professional good quality treatment what harm is a tattoo going to do? :)

But what do they say when they walk out the door, to their friends, to your next potential clients. A client will rarely come straight out and say if they don't like something.

I'm not saying they would think they're bad but as a salon owner wouldn't take the risk.

I have 12 tattoos and couldn't give a monkeys if my clients like them or not - I'm not forcing them to come to me for their hair done! What I choose to do to my body is nobody's business but my own. I could do without judgemental clients if I'm honest, and just to add, I'm also a magistrate and have received no negative comments from anyone regarding my tattoos.

Life is too short, wear your tattoos with pride!

I think that hair and beauty are 2 very different industries, hair is heavily linked to fashion and you can be funky and quirky, changing your image and look to suit and as such I think that tattoos are more acceptable. I think that beauty is more linked to health and well being and as such tattoos are less appropriate , clients (including myself) spend fortunes trying to get rid of scarring, imperfections, pigmentation, etc in search if perfect skin. I personally would not personally employ a beauty therapist covered in tattoos. Whilst having a treatment I don't want to read what's written on someone else's body. Beauty therapist need to look clean, clinical, neat and tidy. On a personal level I have no issue with tattoos but as I tell my students; you are narrowing your career options, many spas and cruise ships will not accept you with visible tattoos and one of my girls is now spending a fortune removing one off her wrist, as she has been given a conditional offer, if you like Cheryl Cole/tweedy have made your millions go for it but unfortunately in today's society there is still stigma attached to tattoo. A tattoo is for life not just for Xmas ! 😄

I think that hair and beauty are 2 very different industries, hair is heavily linked to fashion and you can be funky and quirky, changing your image and look to suit and as such I think that tattoos are more acceptable. I think that beauty is more linked to health and well being and as such tattoos are less appropriate , clients (including myself) spend fortunes trying to get rid of scarring, imperfections, pigmentation, etc in search if perfect skin. I personally would not personally employ a beauty therapist covered in tattoos. Whilst having a treatment I don't want to read what's written on someone else's body. Beauty therapist need to look clean, clinical, neat and tidy. On a personal level I have no issue with tattoos but as I tell my students; you are narrowing your career options, many spas and cruise ships will not accept you with visible tattoos and one of my girls is now spending a fortune removing one off her wrist, as she has been given a conditional offer, if you like Cheryl Cole/tweedy have made your millions go for it but unfortunately in today's society there is still stigma attached to tattoo. A tattoo is for life not just for Xmas ! 😄

I think this is something that can have more stigma attached to it depending on where you are, very obvious badly executed tattoos would not be ideal in certain environments. Tattoos are body art and as art they are subjective. I have several and like others here I choose to cover them for work, but much as I would remove jewellery or not wear heavy make up. I work in a medical environment.

But what do they say when they walk out the door, to their friends, to your next potential clients. A client will rarely come straight out and say if they don't like something.

I'm not saying they would think they're bad but as a salon owner wouldn't take the risk.

Well rather than saying nothing to me about them they all say I hate tattoos but those are very classy and actually quite nice so I think I'm ok and I'm good at reading people I know when someones not happy by anything and I've never seen anyone look at my tattoos in disgust or change their behaviour towards me when they see them.

"how DARE you its art! Im a individual with these!, I have my son and daughter name "jayden and princess" so its special (like you would ever forget your kids name)

VERY stereotypical! My sons name is Jayden & i didn't have the tattoo incase i 'forgot my sons name' i got it because i wanted it doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back