Having tattoos in the beauty & hair industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got one tattoo, it's high up on my shoulder and my work tunic completely covers it, so clients don't know about it (except two who are also therapists and we do swaps).

I think having a good attitude and working hard are more important, I also think they are more common in hair than in beauty, some spas are quite traditional in what they want people to wear and not wear. So if you're working for yourself, it doesn't matter, but if you're working for another person or organisation, they can impose their rules of how you dress and whether or not visible tattoos are acceptable.

Many employers are not keen on tattoos. I think they are horrible, but no doubt I will get the usual "how DARE you its art! Im a individual with these!, I have my son and daughter name "jayden and princess" so its special (like you would ever forget your kids name), the angel wings and the class register of names you see on family men in less salubrious holiday destinations. Not prejudice just don't like them and I think I should be entitled to a view.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Tell the truth.. I am on to you...are you Katie Hopkins? Or her more opinionated sister?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have 4 tattoos. 2 of which are visible on my fore arms.
When I thought about doing an apprenticeship with a college I was told that my tattoos may hinder my chance at finding a placement!
This is ridiculous!
Since then I have had 3 jobs in a salon environment and my employers have loved my tattoos! Have even had some compliments from customers asking where I got them done!
I think as long as it isn't offensive (not that many people get offensive tattoos) you should be ok!
X

VERY stereotypical! My sons name is Jayden & i didn't have the tattoo incase i 'forgot my sons name' i got it because i wanted it doing!

Right ok. I was taking the piss, I was not suggesting you would actually forget you named your child Jayden and then got a tattoo. This does however clarify my point that people get very defensive over their tats. I could never ever imagine getting a tattoo of mum, dad, children, lover. A tattoo is not an expression of love, not in my world anyway!

Right ok. I was taking the piss, I was not suggesting you would actually forget you named your child Jayden and then got a tattoo. This does however clarify my point that people get very defensive over their tats. I could never ever imagine getting a tattoo of mum, dad, children, lover. A tattoo is not an expression of love, not in my world anyway!

I have a tatoo, its rather large but completely concealed unless I chose to share it..lets just say that if I have shared it with you then we know eachother in a biblical sense. :p
I do not find your dislike for tattoos in the slightest bit offensive, it would be a sad day if we couldnt share our views on such matters , I am all for freedom of speech.
What I DO find offensive is your ability to make everything so personal. Did you really need to take it so far as to mention specific names? And to imply that people who tatoo names on to their bodies are of a certain breeding? The type to forget their childs name or (perhaps this is just how I read your comments) are in some way promiscuous.
Please take the time to re read your posts, before posting them, to ensure that they are not going to be read as a personal attack on someone. Ie, someone with a child named Jayden.

I have a tatoo, its rather large but completely concealed unless I chose to share it..lets just say that if I have shared it with you then we know eachother in a biblical sense. :p
I do not find your dislike for tattoos in the slightest bit offensive, it would be a sad day if we couldnt share our views on such matters , I am all for freedom of speech.
What I DO find offensive is your ability to make everything so personal. Did you really need to take it so far as to mention specific names? And to imply that people who tatoo names on to their bodies are of a certain breeding? The type to forget their childs name or (perhaps this is just how I read your comments) are in some way promiscuous.
Please take the time to re read your posts, before posting them, to ensure that they are not going to be read as a personal attack on someone. Ie, someone with a child named Jayden.

Just realised I sound like I have a king size VJJ....

I respect people with or without tatts. But isn't it discriminatory to turn someone down for a job based on their tattoos? Is it illegal? Is it the same as discriminating by age/gender/religion etc? I genuinely am curious about this.

I respect people with or without tatts. But isn't it discriminatory to turn someone down for a job based on their tattoos? Is it illegal? Is it the same as discriminating by age/gender/religion etc? I genuinely am curious about this.

I dont think it is. If the way someone presents themselves isnt in keeping with the brand image.
There was a guy on Jeremy kyle ( yes I have a large vjj and watch jezza) who had a skeleton in his face. Would it be fair for him to sue a funeral parlour who refused him a job?

Ha ha. No, you can 'discriminate' hugely when employing people in reality. You can choose to employ only blonde haired staff, or only staff with no visible tattoos for instance.

What you have to be careful of is not to treat job candidates or employees less fairly than others because of their age, gender, disability etc. where this is covered by specific legislation (in the UK). The law also does not require you to positively discriminate in favour of the person seeking protection under the legislation.

But what do they say when they walk out the door, to their friends, to your next potential clients. A client will rarely come straight out and say if they don't like something.

I'm not saying they would think they're bad but as a salon owner wouldn't take the risk.

Do you really think that when a client is happy with their hair that they're gonna say anything bad about a tattoo? I'm trying to imagine how that conversation might go.. "Hey I like your new hair were have you been?" "I've been to ... salon and I'm very happy with my hair but the girl who did my hair had tattoos..." "Oh really? That's so unacceptable, I'm not going there now" lol.

There can always be something a client doesn't like about their stylist, and in the hair industry I can't imagine anyone having problems with it (except salons with the average age of 65)

I also agree with what Ryk says about the beauty industry.

For me tattoos are no problem, and I have a small one on my wrist.

Ok I will try not offend poor Jayden or princess! "Promiscuous" I'm not sure how or what bit I EVER stated that tattooed people sleep around!! If I did I certainly want to make clear I see no connection. However I have met many who get a tattoo and are a chav, but not Everyone that gets a tattoo is a chav, but I would be surprised if the dutchess of Cambridge with one, there no all the rage with posh folk regardless of age.

Oh and before I get a email telling me that it's rude to say posh folk tend not to get tattoos. Think about it with historians will be looking at our time what will they be saying about the kind of people who got tattoos? Also to bring it back to employment, client tend to like people they can relate to, so it follows if your on the QE2 with Jordan (just a name) down your wrist, it is NOT the right Image for QE2 but probably ok for a local salon aiming at the working class. No doubt I will get lots of abuse for this, but it's time people realise tattoos brand you.

Last edited:
If I see people with horrible tattoos, I think twice, not going to lie!
If they're well thought out & clearly done by a well established 'artist', then it's more acceptable but I'd prefer not to see any at all. Showing a client your interests/childs name/favourite animal/quote is not professional in my eyes

Oh and before I get a email telling me that it's rude to say posh folk tend not to get tattoos. Think about it with historians will be looking at our time what will they be saying about the kind of people who got tattoos?

I think to imply that your cleaning lady needs to be rescued by you is a little derogatory really?
I did a bit of cleaning for a lady who works for a large fashion house and her husband who is a ceo of a massive chain of estate agents. They had a massive house in the middle of nowhere and I suppose you could call them "posh".. she has both nipples and her clitoris pierced with a small butterfly on her lazered area, he had a prince Albert and his wifes initials somewhere intimate. Both in their late 50s and clad in Westwood and YSL.
For someone so keen on openly expressing your views and your choices you are incredibly blinkered and narrow minded.

I think to imply that your cleaning lady needs to be rescued by you is a little derogatory really?
I did a bit of cleaning for a lady who works for a large fashion house and her husband who is a ceo of a massive chain of estate agents. They had a massive house in the middle of nowhere and I suppose you could call them "posh".. she has both nipples and her clitoris pierced with a small butterfly on her lazered area, he had a prince Albert and his wifes initials somewhere intimate. Both in their late 50s and clad in Westwood and YSL.
For someone so keen on openly expressing your views and your choices you are incredibly blinkered and narrow minded.

An eccentric, no doubt mentally ill! Not the typical types were talking about. Of course there is exceptions, let stop being defensive and get real. I don't want a tattoo because I think there horrible and associated with ??? I dare not say cos this is the lefty geek!

Oh and before I get a email telling me that it's rude to say posh folk tend not to get tattoos. Think about it with historians will be looking at our time what will they be saying about the kind of people who got tattoos? Also to bring it back to employment, client tend to like people they can relate to, so it follows if your on the QE2 with Jordan (just a name) down your wrist, it is NOT the right Image for QE2 but probably ok for a local salon aiming at the working class. No doubt I will get lots of abuse for this, but it's time people realise tattoos brand you.

Oh and I have a tatoo as I stated and am incredibly well spoken, I come from old money and work in a very upmarket salon. My mother (a member of the WI) corporate wife is thinking of having a tatoo over a scar as a momento of the life saving op which left the scar

An eccentric, no doubt mentally ill! Not the typical types were talking about.

Mentally ill? Are you seriously going to brand someone mentally ill because they have piercings and tattoos?

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

An eccentric, no doubt mentally ill! Not the typical types were talking about. Of course there is exceptions, let me be defensive and get real.

You really love stereotypes don't you? :p

Mentally ill? Are you seriously going to brand someone mentally ill because they have piercings and tattoos?

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Here we go!! Ask a psychologist for their opinion or google what they think about tattoos!

An eccentric, no doubt mentally ill! Not the typical types were talking about. Of course there is exceptions, let stop being defensive and get real. I don't want a tattoo because I think there horrible and associated with ??? I dare not say cos this is the lefty geek!

Not at all. The most straight laces people you could meet.
You are so bloody narrow minded its scary, tones of a columnist upbringing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back