Having to cancel clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca@PolishedToPerfection

Reaction score
I've just started up mobile and had quite a few new clients booked in for this week and next. My step mum has just passed away last week and I'm not coping as well as I'd hoped. I did an appointment a couple of days after it happened and made a complete mess of it because my head wasn't in the right place so I've decided to cancel my appointments up until the end of next week. I feel really bad and not one of the clients has booked again they've all just ignored me so now I'm thinking I shouldn't of cancelled in case I get a bad name for myself! Has anyone been in the same situation? X

Sorry to hear about your step mum and you won't be alone in finding it difficult to work while you're grieving, I would hope most people would understand. Perhaps they haven't been in touch because they don't know if you're ready yet? How did you cancel, text or by phone where you could offer them an alternative?

Thank you, all of them have booked either through Facebook or text so I've sent them a message. I said that a family member has just passed so I'm taking a couple of weeks off work to spend time with loved ones and asked if they would like to book for when I'm back. I apologized and said that I was very sorry to let them down. I'm really regretting it cos I'm sure I've lost them but the way my head is at the minute I would probably put them off as I wouldn't be able to do a good job! X

I'm so sorry for your loss. If you aren't ready then you aren't ready.

You have already sent your message so I wouldn't dwell on it hun. For what it's worth I think the message was fine.

When you are back to work you could send them a message letting them know. If you really want you could give a 10% discount for inconvenience but I don't think you need to.

I have had some hard times that I couldn't work through either so I completely understand.

Be with your family, grieve and get your strength back.

Best wishes x

I agree with Flawless, when you're ready to work again send them another message, apologise again but thank them for their understanding and invite them to rebook. I actually like the offer of a small discount or even a free upgrade in service (depending what they originally booked) as a thank you. I'm sure they're simply not sure whether it's ok to contact you yet, people can become very unsure of what to do/say around someone who is grieving.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm old fashioned and I think you should call your clients and speak with them directly. Social media is great for some things but in this case, I'd give my clients the personal touch.

I'm with Pure...I would offer a little something special.

Best of luck!

I've just started up mobile and had quite a few new clients booked in for this week and next. My step mum has just passed away last week and I'm not coping as well as I'd hoped. I did an appointment a couple of days after it happened and made a complete mess of it because my head wasn't in the right place so I've decided to cancel my appointments up until the end of next week. I feel really bad and not one of the clients has booked again they've all just ignored me so now I'm thinking I shouldn't of cancelled in case I get a bad name for myself! Has anyone been in the same situation? X

Poor you, it's awful to lose someone you love and have to deal with work when you're self employed. This happened to me. I lost my mum and had to work as I had no choice, it was a killer. Clients can be fickle, and do tend to go elsewhere if they are cancelled. But rest assured there will be plenty of other clients that will come your way. You need to get yourself back into a good place.

I send you my sympathies. I lost my step dad and had to cancel left right and centre. People really don't know what to say. I found it almost worse being my step dad because they often assume you're not close (we were extremely close).

The advice given is great. I would offer an incentive to come back but make it worth having. Knock a tenner off or 20% to the clients you've had to cancel. Make them come back. They may have gone elsewhere but may not be happy with their treatments. I've had clients go elsewhere who've come back and gone "Never again! "

Hope all this advice helps. It's a tough time x

Bless you, I am so sorry for your loss as already mentioned you need time to grieve and I am sure your clients will understand this xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

So sorry for your loss, I lost my Nan in April and I felt like it was all I could talk and think about. If you feel its not right to carry on working then its not right to carry on working, trust you gut. There has been a lot of great advice given, I would do the same and knock a bit off. Try not to worry too much, the most important thing it so focus on you. Lots of love being sent your way. L x

awww, I'm sorry for your loss.
I think you did the right thing, and as others have said, your clients should understand your reason for cancelling. Don't spend too much time worrying about it, concentrate on yourself on your family, and then maybe send them another message next week when you are feeling up to it and ask them again if they would like to re book.
thinking of you.

Rachel x

Just wanted to send my sympathies to you. I recently lost my dad and cancelled work for two weeks. Initially people didn't rebook as they didn't want to bother me but once I let everyone know I was working again they all booked in again. Give yourself a bit of time, put you first and spend time with friends and family. Sometimes work doesn't come first xx

as others have said...take your time, get back in touch with your clients when you are back working and I'm sure they will all reebok.

If I was a client of yours...I wouldn't rebook with you yet, as I wouldn't want to make you feel obliged to return work on a date when you might not be ready. I would wait until I knew you were back at work.

You have to out yourself first. In 6 years I can count the number of times I've had to cancel a client on one hand. I've had to go though ivf 3 times, the pregnancy, the birth and since a few personal things that I've just had to cancel clients. I have lost one or two client because of it, but everyone else has come back, and yes they have had to go else where but they have say it just wasn't the same and they have Ickes fault. You do wants best for you and take your time and when you feel ready go back in your own time.

First of all I'm so sorry for your loss! I have recently lost both of my grandad's in the space of 2 weeks so I know how you feel. I am a mobile beauty therapist and I also had to cancel clients when this had happened. Thankfully, all my clients were really understanding, however if I was in your position I would message them to inform them that I am taking bookings again and give them the question if they would like to book in again? Please don't worry, they will come back to you eventually. In the mean time just concentrate on your other clients and family. There's nothing you can do to control when they book in again. Just a matter of hearing from them again! So sorry for your loss again xx

Thank you to everyone for replying! I'm now ready to get back into it and I'm thinking of posting a status on my Facebook page to apologize for being quiet and to let everyone know that I'll be taking appointments. I'm not really sure how to word it though has anyone got any ideas? I'm also thinking of offering a bit of a discount but not sure how much? Xx

On your Facebook page perhaps something like Thankyou for giving me the space to grieve during this difficult time. I am now ready to take bookings again and can't wait to get back to making everyone look even more gorgeous again. To make an appointment call me on...

For your clients you cancelled I would send a text message saying Thankyou for your kindness in moving your appointment and allowing me time to grieve. To show my appreciation I would love to offer you 20% off of your next treatment. I am now back to work and look forward to seeing you soon.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better lovely. It's such a horrible time for you xx

Sorry to hear about your loss but if you were not in the right frame of mind it is best to give all your clients plenty of notice. Maybe when you are ready you should put up a nice post on FB letting everybody know that you are back with a bang. Hope everything is better now. Regards Kim

This is what I've put, does it sound ok?
Hi Ladies! I would just like to apologize for being quiet lately. As some of you may know, a close family member passed away on the 29th July so I have taken a couple of weeks off work to spend some much needed time with family. I would also like to thank the few that I had to cancel for your understanding through this difficult time. I am now ready to take bookings again and make you all look even more gorgeous again and to show my appreciation I am offering everyone 20% off their next treatment!

Latest posts

Back