Heart not 100% in it, so confused and frustrated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry0875

Reaction score
Hi geeks, Sorry in advance this may be long, so grab a cuppa ;) just need some friendly advice....Ive been in the beauty industry for 20 years and love my job, for the past 5 years I have worked mobile as I had my little children at home and now the youngest has gone to school I had to find something as I was going out of my mind!

I really had my heart set on a business but unfortunately someone got in there before me and I am so mad with myself now...so after endless searching for a job/room I set up in a private dentist where they also offer botox, fillers etc...

I started 4 months ago, the people there are lovely and as well as my few monthly regulars I have had some new clients come through the dentist but just on the special offers that I put up each month.

I feel like I made so many expensive mistakes in preparation for this new business, I wanted to update my training and did eyelash extensions and brought the kit which I got so frustrated with that I gave up as a bad job! I did Hot stone massage and brought the kit and although it is a lovely treatment and I enjoyed the course I havn't had a single client for it, I also did facial rejuvenation/non surgical facelift massage and only had one client for it so far....I also stocked up on shellac and did the training and again hardly used it, I brought the products to offer Faith Lift and shrinking violet which I have had a couple of clients for.....I seem to have clients wanting my holistic therapies and as I know massage is my strong point I get most of my clients for this which is not good as I want to offer a variety of treatments to help my poor back after 20 years in the industry (5 of which at a health spa where I did full on massage!!!) I also signed a 5 year contract with a chip and pin machine which is hardly used yet the monthly rent is kicking in...Sorry if I ramble my point being Im so mad at myself, I wanted to have my treatments and my training to have my full treatment list and say here I am and this is what I offer...but in hindsight should have saved my pennies and started off slowly, I'm so mad with myself.

I know i need to give it time but I thought I would have more clients come through the dentist, I feel like ive set up in the wrong place but dont know where to go from here...being self employed suits me so I can be relatively flexible if the children have something going on at school etc...I don't have to work but being at home drives me out of my mind lol

Any thoughts? :|

Can I ask why you can't work mobile anymore? To be blunt, I think a dentist is a bit of a weird place to set up a beauty based business. Have you signed a contract with them, how much notice do you have to give?

Hi, i can leave with 3 mths notice...i stopped mobile because the lifting in and out of the car was hurting my back so i thought being stationary i could offer more range of treatments. I know it perhaps seems strange but its a lovely place, they have offered other types of therapies in the past and still do botox, fillers etc. I feel mad with myself for signing 5 years with the cardnet company, i could pay my way out of it but that again is a few hundred pounds! I like the staff at work, that was another reason to stop workung mobile as i mussed colleages...i dont know as my status says my heart isnt 100% in it but i dont know where to go from here?

Hi Kerry I really feel for you hun in the past I've made exactly the same mistake I actually gave up for two years and I'm just starting my home salon up again next month. So reading your post just my opinion but have you set up a Facebook page with regular updats just to get yourself out there also I'd you've got spaces on your day offer a groupon or similar another suggestion is do special offers every month on treatments you're not doing shellac is fantastic so maybe offer it half price for a month too don't give up you will get there. I also did eyelash training and gave up but if you keep practising on friends and family you'll get the confidence. Maybe set a target of 15 lashes on each eye then 20 lashes on each eye and so on. Coz it's daunting to try and do complete eyes. I hope this helps as this is what I'm going to do xxx

Hi kerry

It almost sounds like you've got super excited and ploughed on ahead without taking too much of a look at what your clients want. All f the things you've trained in are popular treatments and are great services, just maybe focus on one at a time :)

Perhaps its time to focus on those basic services, waxing, manis pedis etc, and build up some clients for the maintenance type treatments and then as you start to get people in you will gain interest in the others. Seems to me you need to do some good marketing and advertising and start pulling people through the door. Hopefully once you start making some money back and seeing a result you wont feel so disheartened.

Its too late now, you cant change what you've spent so learn from it and move on. Dwelling on it will only get you down. Don't rush to spend anymore when you're already trained in so much.

Its never too ate to turn things around. Have a look to see if there are ways you can minimise your spending, both business and personal so that you feel in charge of you money again. Money is the thing that makes us all lose heart.

Have a read of the marketing threads on here, they certainly give you hope and inspiration.

Lastly dont be too hard on yourself, its a new venture. Enjoy it.

Don't be mad with yourself, I do the same thing, I get a bee in my bonnet and plough ahead with ideas thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread. Just start advertising, get some flyer sorted and post them everywhere you can think of. I know it's hard but you have to allow time to build your client base and get your name out and about again. I'm just going back after maternity leave and building it back up is a slog.

Thankyou for your lovely posts, I think I did get myself all excited about setting up and then since I've started it's been a bit of an anti-climax...which makes me doubt my decisions :/

Hi geeks, Sorry in advance this may be long, so grab a cuppa ;) just need some friendly advice....Ive been in the beauty industry for 20 years and love my job, for the past 5 years I have worked mobile as I had my little children at home and now the youngest has gone to school I had to find something as I was going out of my mind!

I really had my heart set on a business but unfortunately someone got in there before me and I am so mad with myself now...so after endless searching for a job/room I set up in a private dentist where they also offer botox, fillers etc...

I started 4 months ago, the people there are lovely and as well as my few monthly regulars I have had some new clients come through the dentist but just on the special offers that I put up each month.

I feel like I made so many expensive mistakes in preparation for this new business, I wanted to update my training and did eyelash extensions and brought the kit which I got so frustrated with that I gave up as a bad job! I did Hot stone massage and brought the kit and although it is a lovely treatment and I enjoyed the course I havn't had a single client for it, I also did facial rejuvenation/non surgical facelift massage and only had one client for it so far....I also stocked up on shellac and did the training and again hardly used it, I brought the products to offer Faith Lift and shrinking violet which I have had a couple of clients for.....I seem to have clients wanting my holistic therapies and as I know massage is my strong point I get most of my clients for this which is not good as I want to offer a variety of treatments to help my poor back after 20 years in the industry (5 of which at a health spa where I did full on massage!!!) I also signed a 5 year contract with a chip and pin machine which is hardly used yet the monthly rent is kicking in...Sorry if I ramble my point being Im so mad at myself, I wanted to have my treatments and my training to have my full treatment list and say here I am and this is what I offer...but in hindsight should have saved my pennies and started off slowly, I'm so mad with myself.

I know i need to give it time but I thought I would have more clients come through the dentist, I feel like ive set up in the wrong place but dont know where to go from here...being self employed suits me so I can be relatively flexible if the children have something going on at school etc...I don't have to work but being at home drives me out of my mind lol

Any thoughts? :|

Aww Hun firstly chin up! It's only been four months, that's nothing. I know it's disheartening that things don't seek to be working or catching on but it takes time. I've been in business three years and am now in my third room, am I very busy?? Heck no! Do I feel like giving up sometimes? Heck yes!but I keep at it because on my good days this is what I love doing. Just don't talk to me on bad days, my OH hides lol.

I think a dentist is a great place (I have a dentist right across from me)are you advertising in the reception? Are you advertising outside via papers, mailing etc? You can't solely rely on in house advertising if you know what I mean.

It takes time to catch on but when it does your going to be so happy! Keep the card reader, if you see at your 6month mark that it really isn't working pay the fee and cancel it. I go through paypal which is about 18£ a month. Not expensive but it's an option to accept cards without a contract or huge pay out to companies.

Hope this helps!

Your decisions are your decisions, don't doubt yourself. None of us make the right decision all the time. Business is a learning curve, all trial and error as far as I can see. Once you find what works for you, stick at it. Set yourself goals, try and get out to pamper evenings, post flyers in cafes etc and see what happens. Good luck :)

Thanks again :hug:
I think i need to look at outside advertiseing as i had been relying on the dentist to bring my clients in x

Hi Kerry, I'm sure most of us are guilty of spending money we shouldn't or money we should but only when your sure it's not going to be wasted.

I for one am guilty!

I've done semi perm lash training twice, sold my kit twice then re bought it all both times (losing lots of money during the process)

I've done my mani/pedi training bought all opi products (not cheap) then got no interest... so sold it all.

I've also changed my spray tan brand that many times I've lost count so im always buying new products :eek:

I've just cleared out all old tanning products to try recoup some money & now I'm solely focusing on earning money not wasting it.

Hope business picks up for you x

I've done the same spent money training in hot stone tanning barbering etc now I realise what I'm really good at and I sub contract out everything else. It is horrible to deal you've wasted money but you can't go back only forward and I did have a girl rent a room in my salon ego expected me to get her clients and I think while I did had she worked her business as well she Wd have done really well good luck I'm sure you will work it out. You also need to look at what your clients want for example we are now an express salon with massage and holistic offered on a satellite basis which works for us ten years ago we were a decleor and guinot salon but times change x

yes I would agree that a dentists is not somewhere you would necessarily go for a hot stone massage but would ne a great place for waxing massage etc. Are you able to approach people in the waiting room offering them a free treatment such as a 15 min massage after their dental treatment. Tell them it will be something to look forward to after their filling. Could you give treatments to clients who are having a long dental treatment such as a quick file and polish or foot massage to relax them?
Hope it works out for you.

A few things to think about, thanks all x
I have had some cards made out which go in all the dental appointment reminders offering 25% off first treatments...I guess the patients are only coming in once or twice a year so having been their just a few months most won't even know that I am their yet!
Ultimately I don't think it's the best place to be long term, so I will be keeping my eyes peeled for something else to come up! Thanks again!

Hopefully at least now you wont feel so alone.

I didnt mention that I put myself through hell going back to college at 27 years old to do my level 3 electrical route: Facial elec, body elec, electrolysis, hot stones and swedish massage.

I dont currently offer any of these in my business!

But I have them should I change my mind!

lol...no I'm not alone then :)

Not atall!

Try to make a plan to sit and research and plan your marketing on the next day off. Or if your quiet be productive and get on your Facebook page and upload some pictures of your work, get some more "likes" on that page.

Sort out logos and flyers etc :)

Just a thought and im not even sure if this would be possible cos of data protection, but is there anyway the dentist would allow you to mail shot their clients, perhaps any letter they send to clients you could ask to put your card in or a letter. You could try a mini treatment day. Perhaps the botox lady has some clients you could tap in to. Do you have any signage or road side adverts so people know you're there. Its worth a try that you could make your current location work for you.

Just a thought honey x x x

The amount of money ive proberly wasted trying stuff out then knowing will my clients like this, mmmmmm no. Its a painful expensive mistake but hey we learn from it. All i can do is say advertise and try it out on yourself. Everytime we have a client in we've come across and upsold on a treatment or a product...been really passionate about it. It helps.. Watch some tabitha salon takeover...she not only inspires me but motivate me! xoxo

The amount of money ive proberly wasted trying stuff out then knowing will my clients like this, mmmmmm no. Its a painful expensive mistake but hey we learn from it. All i can do is say advertise and try it out on yourself. Everytime we have a client in we've come across and upsold on a treatment or a product...been really passionate about it. It helps.. Watch some tabitha salon takeover...she not only inspires me but motivate me! xoxo

Oooh what programme is this you speak of????

Latest posts

Back