Help, allergy to monomer. Any answers?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LahNails

Reaction score
I have been doing nails for 4 years now ... I have never been good about wearing a mask while doing any sort of nail service... though I do use my valentino while i file, or when im doing L&P.... NOW i've come to a horrible conclusion that I have developed an allergy to liquid monomer.

WHY NOW? I recently started taking an anti depressant, the doctor who prescribed it said to take at least two weeks off while starting as I will be very tired and feel under the weather. Me, being the crazy entrepreneur that I am, and because I work at home for myself, did not take the time off. I am now 8 weeks into taking the medication and I dont feel tired any longer, but I am left with a HORRIFIC sinus irritation... I have taken antibiotics for a sinus infection and no difference.

What lead me to believe it was the L&P was that when i took multiple days off of doing nails, i started to get better, then thinking i was OK, I went back to work, and got worse again. The past 2-3 weeks I have drastically reduced the number of clients and days I work and I am feeling much better... Still at this point not sure what I can do other then becoming a gel only nail tech...

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW HAS HAD SIMILAR ISSUES/ HAVE ANY ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO.

p.s I've promised to wear a mask starting tomorrow... for some protection, though if an allergy to the airborne chemical i may not find a difference.

THANK YOU FOR ANY ANSWERS

Have you tried different monomers to be sure it is that..could be a specific ingredient not found in every brand.

What monomer do you use? Does it contain mma? These symptoms are common in monomers that contain the dangerous chemical mma. EMA however is very safe and doesnt have a very strong odor, unlike mma.
Are you sure its the monomer thats irritating your sinus? Could it be the dust from filing? If i do a few sets of acrylic nails in a day i notice by the end of the day my nose is stuffy and i start sneezing. Its because of the dust from filing. I have a built in desk fan and work in a well ventilated room but i still cop it. I wont wear a mask though, it scares the clients off lol

Thanks for your responses.

I use CND moxie monomer and CND powder..
I feel like if it where the dust it would have started differently.
For the past year/ year and a bit ive had a runny nose only when doing L&P - at the time using young nails which is also a highly recommended brand.
I also use a desk ventilation system to pull in the dust, and have used this for the past 2 years.

Latest posts

Back