Help - attracting clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbee

Reaction score
Hi, I have set up a home based salon, it has been up and running for about 5 months now, and although I have had some clients through the door I am looking for ways to attract more - well just enough to make it viable. I dont have large circles of friends so cant really advertise through friends, have got an ad in the yellow pages and on yell.com, and have also got leaflets in several shops.

Does anyone have any other ideas and advice???

:confused:

Hi, I have set up a home based salon, it has been up and running for about 5 months now, and although I have had some clients through the door I am looking for ways to attract more - well just enough to make it viable. I dont have large circles of friends so cant really advertise through friends, have got an ad in the yellow pages and on yell.com, and have also got leaflets in several shops.

Does anyone have any other ideas and advice???

:confused:

Get yourself into your nearest town centre with loads of leaflets with a few special offers on. Hand them out to anyone and everyone.

Also, target the local gyms or even women's institute clubs if you have them.

Maybe, write to the local nursing homes offering your services for a set day every month.

It will take time to establish yourself, so don't expect it to happen overnight. Stick with it - hopefully it will pay off for you.

Good luck:hug:

I seem to of tried most things including:
adverts in shops, chemist, library, local businesses,
vouchers given as prices at local schools etc,
magnetic advert for car,
leaflets in local shops, doctors & hairdressers,
advert in parish magazine,
website & search engines,

I don't seem to get many clients directly from these, but they do say that people need to see your name in a number of different places (about 7 I think) before they choose to use you.

The best way I have found is either word of mouth or leaflet drops to local houses.

Good luck. x

It takes time, but don't worry about it. Positive thinking really helps. Just say to yourself that you are going to get a new client this week and believe it. Then look at your marketing tools. You need to keep marketing yourself, don't just think that because you have a few new clients you can relax, you cant. try to get free advertising. My local paper prints a reader offer every week. I get 200 words of editorial plus pictures and I advertise 2 for 1 offers on different treatments. i know a lot of people say don't discount, but for example in May my 2 for 1 body massage brought in £1,200. Ok I had to give a free one but I have now got several new clients who are trying different things and loads of people who now know me. Look after you clients and send a newsletter every so often. I do a quarterley on and they always make me money either by bringing back a lapsed client or by introducing new treatments, discounts etc...

Good luck with it all and don't forget be positive!

Thanks geeks, I really appreciate all your advice. I have ordered some leaflets from vistaprint and as soon as they arrive I will be standing in my local high street handing them out. I do feel positive about what I am doing most of the time, just feeling like I'm not getting very far very fast at the moment however, I will keep plugging away at it as this is my passion.

Hi hun :biggrin:

Make up a referral system, so that each client you actually have gets a reward for eVery 5 or 10 customers she refers to you. It could be money off voucher for her next treatment or a gift in the way of product (which in real terms costs pennies)

Hope that helps and good luck :biggrin:

xx

Thanks geeks, I really appreciate all your advice. I have ordered some leaflets from vistaprint and as soon as they arrive I will be standing in my local high street handing them out. I do feel positive about what I am doing most of the time, just feeling like I'm not getting very far very fast at the moment however, I will keep plugging away at it as this is my passion.

One thing I would do straight away is cancel all adverts with Yellow Pages etc, etc. You need to target the area more prominently to where you live and those adds are a waste of money covering a vast area which you do not need.

I don't usually like giving away ideas as I believe mine are very good and have taken a lot of time, money and hard work putting in place. However one of my favourite ways of getting Clients is simply to use them to do it for you. Without saying too much all Clients like Special Offer's, now use your Clients with a Special Offer to get more.

One thing I wouldn't do which a lot of Salons do is cut any prices to attract Business. Some do it so low they actually look cheap, if you are contemplaiting doing so then shock yourself and put them up.

I have never had a yellow pages advert for a couple of reasons.....far too expensive....far too pushy sales and i also wanted to target areas near to me.

The best thing that worked for me was a advert i put in our local rag...its called a directory and basically lists all local businesses ... its quite cheep...they go through every door in my and the next 2 villages once a month. People tend to keep them around the home as they are small and come in handy when you need a local electrician or plumber.

Do they have anything like this where you live.

T-shirt with your salon name on - wear with pride everywhere, always carry a card and maybe a discount flyer and hand out to everyone who stops you. A loyalty sceme for your existing clients - recommend a friend and get a discount/goody bag/free treatment

Hi there, when I first started out I found out that the local papers advertised for summer fayres and I got their details and booked a stall, I had lots of leaflets with information about the products that I use, some catalogues etc and made a lot of bookings, built my client base, but I found that it was a bit slow to begin with and when I booked the stall that's when things started to move on. Good luck with your business.

Thanks for all advice geeks, I have not thought about cutting my prices as I feel that my prices are fair and that the service I provide is worth the money. I have only a free listing in the yellow pages and on yell. Still waiting for leaflets to hand in my town - will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Thanks for all advice geeks, I have not thought about cutting my prices as I feel that my prices are fair and that the service I provide is worth the money. I have only a free listing in the yellow pages and on yell. Still waiting for leaflets to hand in my town - will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Whatever you do do not cut your prices, for some reason it always has an adverse effect. Just another thought but around your Salon what forms of advertising do you have? I ask this simply because when we 1st started up the one thing potential Clients do not like is having to look in Salon/Shop Windows to read info our anything you maybe promoting. They also hate asking questions within the Salan/Shop. With this we erected a notice board away from any Windows but so potential Clients could BIEW our info and Promotions discreetly. We also put on it our opening times and whenever we are promoting Our prices. Within a few days people then were poppin in saying 'I've just looked on your notice board and I'm interested in......' Seriously it was unbelievable! We got ours from here: key lock poster frame | lockable poster frames | Next day delivery | From only £56.15.

Whatever you do do not cut your prices, for some reason it always has an adverse effect. Just another thought but around your Salon what forms of advertising do you have? I ask this simply because when we 1st started up the one thing potential Clients do not like is having to look in Salon/Shop Windows to read info our anything you maybe promoting. They also hate asking questions within the Salan/Shop. With this we erected a notice board away from any Windows but so potential Clients could BIEW our info and Promotions discreetly. We also put on it our opening times and whenever we are promoting Our prices. Within a few days people then were poppin in saying 'I've just looked on your notice board and I'm interested in......' Seriously it was unbelievable! We got ours from here: key lock poster frame | lockable poster frames | Next day delivery | From only £56.15.
excellent advice and thanks for the link, it looks good.:lol:

With regards to yellow pages etc, i think its definatly worth it, i only have the free ads and have had alot of interest from it, being fairly new myself, its definatly helped..
Ive also found leaflet drops have helped alot

Also id just like to comment that i thought the whole point of these forums was to share tips and advice with each other to help and save others time, not keep things quiet and to ourselves because WE have put the work in. Just my opinion

Good luck hun hope youve had some success

With regards to yellow pages etc, i think its definatly worth it, i only have the free ads and have had alot of interest from it, being fairly new myself, its definatly helped..
Ive also found leaflet drops have helped alot

Also id just like to comment that i thought the whole point of these forums was to share tips and advice with each other to help and save others time, not keep things quiet and to ourselves because WE have put the work in. Just my opinion

Good luck hun hope youve had some success

just what i was thinking ! i just wonder what there here for then, o no they dont need help do they :green:

I love yellow pages, especially having a listing on there website.

When people cant get in to there usual salon or need a to find a therapist they dont drum there fingers trying to remember the vast amount of adverts or flyers they have seen. Also ask a lady in your town to name five beauty salons. Most cannot do it not because they dont know they are there but because they simply cannot remember what they are called. So what do they do, they look on yell.com or call 118 118!

And NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can say they dont need any more business!!! You just employ more staff dont you???

Put all your leaflets into hair salons that dont do beauty.
Do a free package for the local rag as a comp and if the clients write their names and address etc on the coupon then the people who have entered who didnt win are on your mailing list! Send then a free treatment voucher if they book and pay for another treatment within a certain time frame. I.E Free Pedicure with a Manicure.
Create your own unique treatment or buy a new product/piece of equipment/treatmnet that no one in your area has already and go the press for free PR.
If you cant afford this then do it as being a new business or perhaps on your anniversarys.
If your planning on standing on the street to give leaflets out make sure you have the local councils permission first!
Go your local wedding and beauty fairs and put your couch up and do treatments to attract clients to your stand.

There are loads of ideas. What you should do in the first instance is draw up a table. In one column put down who you want to target IE Kids, Teenagers, Young women, Middle aged women, Men etc. Draw a list of Unique points IE Value for money etc Then who would these treatments etc attract. Then list absolutely everywhere you can think off to advertise, include all phone directories (all of them give you a free listing), Papers that can get PR in or advertise in, all websites, shops you can put leaflets in etc.

Then Put the free ones into action first and if you have money try one or two of the paid avenues.

Good luck

x

I joined our local Chamber of Commerce a few months ago & go to regular breakfast meetings. Without even trying I've found that has brought in a few new clients - one of them being in PR & Marketing :)

At the beginning of each meeting 2 or 3 businesses get to do a presentation & they have spaces left for December - may put my name down :eek: as it will be a good chance to promote gift vouchers - especially given that most peeps there are fellas.

Thanks geeks for all your advice.

I also thought that this was the place to share experiences and ideas, whether good or bad, and if we can save people all the hard work if we know something doesn't work as well as something else may do.

Thanks again for all your informative suggestions.

Latest posts

Back