Help - courses/equipment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonda

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking at taking a part time course at my local college to do liquid & powder nail enhancements.
I spoke to my sister's nail technician yesterday about starting up as a mobile nail technician as i had a few questions which she answered. She mentioned that she was a rep for Gelish & that i would be able to do their day course as i already have level 2 Beauty, but would have to buy the kit upfront to do the course.

I've searched the forum for advice & there's a lot to read & know. I have just a quick question:

If i buy the 18G LED Gelish lamp with the kit, would i be able to use it for the college course or would i have to get a UV lamp as well ?

I like the sound of the LED lamp & how quick it reduces the cure time but if it only works with Gelish & not other brands, is there a lamp out there that that can do all brands ?

Hey chick

You won't need a uv lamp if you are studying liquid & powder
Only if you are using uv gels or top coats...

Regarding the right lamp for uv systems I would suggest reading the article link below...
UV product summary and lamp info

If you are really serious about understanding nail products and services I would strongly recommend buying a copy of Doug schoons book 'nail structure and product chemistry'
It will help unravel the industry and give you a really in-depth knowledge base...

Good luck

I've just rang the college to inquire more about the course, they stated i would need a UV lamp & then went into the cost for the course (£170), assessment (£30) & kit (£155).

This is in addition to the Gelish kit & course costs ..... So many options i'm starting to get a headache !!

Youre better off training with gelish as its a good quality well known brand. Often college courses arent as in depth and the products they use are lower quality so a lot of techs find themselves having to retrain with better brands. Save yourself the expense of retraining and go with nail harmony (makers of gelish) first time as they also do L+P training.

Awwww .... thanks for all your help.

You've saved me a fortune & a lot of time doing training which i'd basically be just repeating.

I'm really looking forward to getting into nails & tanning as a career. I loved the Beauty therapy training i did a few years ago but at the time it wasn't an option to me as a career, now it is & i cant believe how quick everything could happen.

I just want to make sure i'm doing the right options available to me.

CND Lamp will cure all Gels, Gelish and obviously CND Shellac!

Youre better off training with gelish as its a good quality well known brand. Often college courses arent as in depth and the products they use are lower quality so a lot of techs find themselves having to retrain with better brands. Save yourself the expense of retraining and go with nail harmony (makers of gelish) first time as they also do L+P training.

I trained with The Edge Gel... for many reasons really!

It's not a great gel, but it kick started my career to get my Extensions and Gel overlay qualification. And then I did a conversion with CND Brisa. It all worked out cheaper, then doing a course from scratch with a higher brand

I now offer, Gelish, Brisa and Shellac...along with other treatments!

Latest posts

Back