Help! Cracked Shellac/Brisa Lite!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aayspa

Reaction score
Hi Geeks.

Have just had a call from my most regular client saying that she's got a problem with one of her thumb nails.

I did her nails Wednesday morning and it was the first time I had applied brisa lite smoothing gel on her topped with her usual tutti frutti shellac and top coat.

I had applied brisa lite because she often chips the tips of her shellac through hard working hands and her index and middle fingers on both hands are rather flakey but all other nails fine.

She has phoned this morning to say that waking up this morning she has noticed a crack/fracture in her thumb nail. Said its not in the top coat as still smooth but looks underneath and appears to be white. Looking like a crack in the wall would so not a straight line but a jagged line from base to tip.

She is sending me a picture but am yet to receive. She is not the type of client to lie or exaggerate so I know what she says is true.

What could this be??? Any ideas? Geeg??

Help!

Maybe we should wait and see the picture, before we start speculating. ;)

Ok not the clearest picture in the world but can see what she means...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362830017.701841.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362830017.701841.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 502
Any ideas anyone?

First things first .... Nothing cracks without pressure being put on it ... law of science. You will have to ask her what pressure she could have put on it ?? We can't be mind readers. She did something to it whether it was known to her or unknown, and she has to take responsibility for it.

It kills me how clients ring about stuff like this. They should say, "I need a repair." Or you should say, "So you are ringing to book a repair."

You should not have to be posting like this and she shouldn't call you expecting anything other than to pay for a repair. Do they think the fairies did it?

If something cracks down the middle like that then there was pressure put on that nail from both sides. That is the beginning and the end of it. YOU didn't do it ... I didn't do it! One Shellacked nail didn't suddenly decide to self-destruct during the night!! Really a little common sense needs to be used in these situations.

Just the other day I broke one of my own long natural nails. I looked down and it was broken .. no idea how or when I did it but I know my nail technician wasn't responsible for it. All I know is that I need to repair it.

Thanks Geeg.

She hasn't asked me to repair it. She said she just wanted to let me know incase it was the new Brisa Lite I'd put on her nails. Obviously I know there is nothing wrong with the product.

Just seems odd that it would crack under the top coat but not through it. Top coat is still perfectly in tact!

I am still not convinced it is an actual crack ;)

I had a client who had lines like this on 2 of her nails, a few days after I applied her Gelish, yet they were still perfectly smooth although it appeared like a crack or scratch. When she next came in (for her Hair appt not nails!) I swiped the nails with my Gel Cleanse...and Voila it disappeared! Sometimes your eyes can deceive you.

I've had something similar to this when I've been doing a few jobs in the kitchen. It's like a rubbery mark from coming in to contact with something although I still don't know what!!
It should wipe off like was mentioned earlier x

Thank you. Yes I'm not entirely convinced its cracked to be honest. I think if it had cracked the base coat it would have lifted and if cracked the top coat you'd feel it. Seems unlikely it's just cracked the shellac colour in the middle.

Anyway have passed on the advice but no reply as of yet. Think she's gonna feel a little silly if just a mark on the top

Ok so now my client is thoroughly p'eed off!

Have explained to her that things don't crack without pressure, law of science etc and perhaps she'd accidentally done something without realising or maybe even bitten it in the night seeing how its just appeared this morning. Have also said perhaps it is just a mark that looks convincing like a crack and maybe a quick wipe over would do the job.

Well she said if that's the response she gets then CND can keep their products! Said she should not be to blame etc etc.

I just don't understand her sudden attitude. She is the most lovely person ever! Has been having me do her nails with Shellac for 2 years and no complaints even when they've chipped through cooking, decorating etc as accepts that she is hard on her nails.

She's furious and I'm quite baffled by her. I was as nice as anything! Offered to redo it etc but no luck calming her down.

So upset :-(

Ok so now my client is thoroughly p'eed off!

Have explained to her that things don't crack without pressure, law of science etc and perhaps she'd accidentally done something without realising or maybe even bitten it in the night seeing how its just appeared this morning. Have also said perhaps it is just a mark that looks convincing like a crack and maybe a quick wipe over would do the job.

Well she said if that's the response she gets then CND can keep their products! Said she should not be to blame etc etc.

I just don't understand her sudden attitude. She is the most lovely person ever! Has been having me do her nails with Shellac for 2 years and no complaints even when they've chipped through cooking, decorating etc as accepts that she is hard on her nails.

She's furious and I'm quite baffled by her. I was as nice as anything! Offered to redo it etc but no luck calming her down.

So upset :-(

Well ... That's how people react when they know they are in the wrong. One nail ... One nail!!! and now she actually thinks that CND is to blame? She is looking more silly by the minute, and she must know it. She needs to get a grip and take responsibility and you probably should not have got involved other than to explain that she needed a repair ... End of.

That's why I always say ... Clients are not friends. They seem so while you are giving everything away. She doesn't know how she did the damage, so therefore it's now your fault, or Shellac's fault or even CND's fault but certainly couldn't be her fault! I don't think so!

Last edited:
Dont be upset!!
As geeg says, its no fault of your own.
you have offered to have a look and repair it, and she got arsey.
it does not look cracked in the photo, looks like shes sort of marked it some way.
:Love:

Obviously the lady is stressed about something else in her life and a little mark on her nail is just the last straw. Hopefuly she will apologise at next appointment.

The picture is poor so you just can't see. If I ever get a client with a problem nail no matter how it got there the first thing I always say is come in for a fix. Then you can see it properly and establish the problem better. And if it is a crack chat about how it may of happened. Face to face is so much easier and more professional. If you discuss over texting words can appear to come out badly. I think the accusation of biting it overnight is prob what caused her upset.

I did not accuse her of biting it. I merely said how cracks may appear. Could possibly be caused by biting in the night, trapping it or accidentally knocking it etc. Didnt say that's what she'd done. I'm not that silly!

As for getting her to come in, well I'm mobile so I have to go to her which I am on Monday although when seeing it in real life I'm still not likely to be able to tell her how it's happened. She wants to hear that it's the product not her. The very suggestion that she MAY have caused it accidentally is what sent her flying

I did not accuse her of biting it. I merely said how cracks may appear. Could possibly be caused by biting in the night, trapping it or accidentally knocking it etc. Didnt say that's what she'd done. I'm not that silly!

As for getting her to come in, well I'm mobile so I have to go to her which I am on Monday although when seeing it in real life I'm still not likely to be able to tell her how it's happened. She wants to hear that it's the product not her. The very suggestion that she MAY have caused it accidentally is what sent her flying
Just keep calm when you see her and say, "I'm sure you will understand that I have to be logical and we have to take a logical approach. If the problem was the product, then logically, all 10 nails would be showing the same mark/crack/whatever. We have to assume that something made the mark and that it didn't just appear out of nowhere. So here is what I'm going to do ........

From there it is up to you but no way would I drive to an appointment in my time and at my expense and not charge for the repair. That's a good way to go out of business. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back