Help, hair advice required

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bel's Gels

Qualified Nail Technician
Reaction score
Hi,
I have just popped over from Nails and I need some advice. I am not a hairdresser.

My daughter is a natural dark blonde, probably a 7, maybe a 6. For the past 3 years she has been dying her hair brown, a 4 base.

She is sick of maintaining her hair and said she wants to go back to her natural colour.

So I went to a reputable hairdresser and explained all of this.

My daughter had about an inch of regrowth and it had been approx 4 months since she had coloured her hair.

The hairdresser suggested using a colour stripper and then putting a semi over the top to tone it in. Made sense to me.

So we booked in but I am NOT happy with the results.

She had the stripping agent on for maybe 5-10 mins. She said it worked really fast. My daughter used to have her hair lightened so the ends were a lot lighter than the mid section, they were very brassy, at that point she looked liked she had three distinctive tones to her hair. So I asked if she could tone that down with a bit of ash and she put a colour on the ends and after about 5-10 minutes she then put it through the mid section.

But my daughter still has brown hair, it is nothing like her natural colour.

I would say my daughter's natural colour is dark blonde or light brown, not the brown colour it is now.

I have included a photo of her hair before she started having bleaching/colouring done. It is pretty old, about 7 years ago. But it is very close to the colour of her roots now.

I have also put a few photos of what her hair looks like today.

Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? It cost a lot of money to have this done yesterday and I am just not happy with the results. I would have rather had her hair lightened and then a semi put in to tone it.

Like I said, I am not a hairdresser, so I may not have used the correct wording but at the moment I am just so disappointed that I need some professional advice.

I am at my wits end.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 80
  • after 1.jpg
    after 1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 80
  • after 2.jpg
    after 2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 79
  • after 3.jpg
    after 3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 82
I think you need to go back to the salon and ask them to correct it.

Successfully removing layers of box dye to produce an even and healthy looking result requires the expertise of an experienced colourist. It usually takes either a few hours or several appointments depending on the techniques used, and the condition of the hair.

Unfortunately, despite your best efforts to give a full description of the process, it's impossible to know exactly what they've used to remove the colour. There are two main options in lifting colour, one is bleach based and the other isn't.

However, it sounds like they've probably put a semi over it to cover the brassyness. If so, this will fade in a few washes.

Return to the salon, tell them you aren't happy and ask them to explain what they plan to do to correct it.

Also, I'm assuming they didn't cut small strands of hair beforehand for testing before undertaking the process? Ask them to do this before going ahead a second time.

A strand test will enable them to try out the remover and will give a good idea as to the likely outcome when applied to a full head, including timings.

Personally, I always strand test a new client who has used box dyes as you don't really know what's been applied previously.

I think you need to go back to the salon and ask them to correct it.

Successfully removing layers of box dye to produce an even and healthy looking result requires the expertise of an experienced colourist. It usually takes either a few hours or several appointments depending on the techniques used, and the condition of the hair.

Unfortunately, despite your best efforts to give a full description of the process, it's impossible to know exactly what they've used to remove the colour. There are two main options in lifting colour, one is bleach based and the other isn't.

However, it sounds like they've probably put a semi over it to cover the brassyness. If so, this will fade in a few washes.

Return to the salon, tell them you aren't happy and ask them to explain what they plan to do to correct it.

Also, I'm assuming they didn't cut small strands of hair beforehand for testing before undertaking the process? Ask them to do this before going ahead a second time.

A strand test will enable them to try out the remover and will give a good idea as to the likely outcome when applied to a full head, including timings.

Personally, I always strand test a new client who has used box dyes as you don't really know what's been applied previously.

Thank you for your response, it much appreciated and I ended up contacting the salon and spoke to the hairdresser.
You are correct, she put a semi over it to tone down the brassiness. She said my daughter is naturally a 8.1 and she put a 7.1 semi over it.
I realise now that this should settle down and fade out a bit over the coming weeks.
She said if I am still unhappy in 2-4 weeks time to come back in at any time so we can discuss it.

So she didn't fob me off, she listened and explained it well. I just think it would have helped if she explained all of this to us at the time. But oh well, at least she did eventually.

I said to her it just seems like I paid a lot of money to have the colour correction done and to me it looks like she is one shade lighter and the mid section does not blend with the re-growth.
She still looks brown when really her natural colour is blonde, albeit a darker blonde, she is still blonde naturally, definitely not brown , lol.

I suppose I just need to give it some time and see how it goes.

*I should clear something up, it was not a supermarket box dye used on her hair, it was colour bought from my supplier used with 5 Vol. Much healthier and better for her hair. The hairdresser told me that what she used to lift the colour contained bleach.

Latest posts

Back