Help - Hair Extensions, unhappy client!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam1206

Reaction score
I hope you call can help and give me some advice!!

I got the following message from a client...

'I need to book a maintenance session with you but i do need to highlight some problems I am having with the hair. i am used to working with long hair but I am having some real problems - it is taking me at least half an hour after I wash the hair to get the tangles out it actually feels like I am brushing through dreadlocks! (I am using the best quality shampoo and conditioner). I also cant wear the hair down or even in a pony tail as within 20 minuts or less the hair shrinks up into what looks like a back combed mess. I have been wearing my hair in a bun to try and keep the condition as best as I can'

Anybody any experience on this or know what I should advice? I have applied the same hair I always use, no-one has ever had any problems with this before so surely it must be her aftercare? But if she is insisting its not then how do I deal with this? I'm really nervous! This has really knocked my confidence so any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
you need to get her in and explain that you can do anyhting untill you have seen her hair....if she is wearing the bun to tight it can pull on the bonds and case the root to matte.... she should be using a wide tooth comb in the shower to de tangle gently whilst wet. has she had extensions before? i do extensions plus have had them previously in my hair so i know what there like and 80% of the time its because the client doesnt read the after care and dont know what there getting into.... she could be shampoo'ing her hair as normal rather than the ''stroke the dog technique'' that is needed to stop matte's and breakage etc'' dont let her intimidate you, just stay strong and go through it professionaly. pen and paper....get her to tell you her care regime with her hair how she washes and styles it etc and try and see any breaks to why she's having problems.... etc hope that helps :)

Agree with above. Bad after care ruins hair. Anytime I have ever had a problem it's been the client they always admit in the end! Don't let her scare you. Scare her first ! What's she washed it with this is the main problem in most cases! Especially in the more processed hair ie bleach blondes what colour was the hair ?

She states shes using the best quality shampoo and conditioner but is it specially formulated for extensions whats shes using? some high street brands can contain alcohol which can dry the extensions out which might be coursing it to matt.??

i found the best ext shamp & cond and aftercare is actually racoon....but i HATE there actually hair extensions...funny huh i would advise you to buy after care for your clients and include it in your pricing so you know atleast its not the aftercare......

She said she is using OSMO? Has anyone ever tried this or know much about it. Thanks for all your comments they are really helpful!

Osmo is as far as I know a pro range however it's not aftercare for extensions. And as far as I know you need to use aftercare from the supplier of the hair or they won't do a thing about bad hair. They sell their aftercare products for a reason, sounds like this could be one of your clients problems.

I include an aftercare pack with my extensions from the hair supplier, if you include it and provide it then the client sees that they need it but also will return to you for further quantities whilst wearing the hair boosting your retail sales. Did you advise her on what products she should n shouldn't use on the hair?

I had this exact problem with great lengths extensions, the hair seemed to be back combing on itself and I could never wear it down, I knew it was the hair because it suddenly changed from the 1st wash but I've got great lengths in now and use all the same products and its perfect after 5 months of wear so sometimes it is the hair, not the aftercare. I would send it back to the supplier xxx

yes osmo is a pro range but not specifically designed for hair extensions - obviously do not give too much away over the phone - just get the client in to the salon and explain possible outcomes - if u use a reputable supplier they will be happy to examine the hair for you! i once had hair on a weft which had been made upside down (how that is possible i don't know) thats why is caused so much matting the cuticles were not lying the same way - and the company sent out new hair - ( i never used them again ..... anyways!!)
I suggest handing out atercare packs wit detailed infor and a shampoo and conditioner and perhaps styling products and include them in your initial fitting service! this is the only true way u'll know clients are using the right stuff!!

hth xx

The supplier will most likely ask her to remove all the extensions to send them back and generally this is how you know whether they are at it or not!

Jut read through this and something popped into my head is the hair cuticle correct? If not maybe this is causing the hair to matt on its own.

If it's called Remy, it won't be cuticle correct. It's a common misconception.
It sounds like the silicon coating has washed away.

It's cuticle correct, same I get for all my clients from the same supplier so I know it's not the hair, all other clients hair is still fab after months!

My supplier has offered to test them, so I will give her this option if she wishes.

She's booked in so it will be interesting to see them, hopefully they aren't as bad as she says! I do alway recommend my suppliers aftercare products but most ppl just won't go for them! I think maybe I might just have to incorporate it into my prices so they have no choice!

I would definitely include aftercare in your price. I use balmain and they are only guaranteed if you use their products x

I thought remy meant cuticle correct? X

Remy is cuticle correct! All the big companies use that name.

Yes, Remy does mean cuticle correct. I think the thread may have been a typo or she has been looking at the entirely wrong type of hair as quality....

Latest posts

Back