Help Help and a bit more Help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karrie

Reaction score
Hi there everyone,
this is all very new to me. i have written before but did not get a reply. I have recently completed intensive training with the nail centre in norwich complete beginer nail tech, fiberglass and silks, then I another course with the same people for the liquid and powder, got on with that really well, I have also signed up for essential nails liquid and powder which i am zooming through with some really good results. i think that i am getting on quite well, especially grabbing everyone of my mates and all the mums from the school playground to practice on. anyway what i wanted to ask was a couple of things really. a really nice man at the local hairdressers (very funky new hairdressers) has offered me a 60/40 deal with him. he has offered to pay half of the price of a nail station, that fits in with his decor. he said that he would pay for all of the advertising and also pay for a frosted glass screen incorperating my name and opening times. he does not want any cut from the sale of products and generally he seems a really nice guy. He did ask that I stock quality products only, so that they match the quality goods that he sells, this is where i need help. What is the best product on the market, nail vanish etc, what is the best value, I feel that I have been looking forever. also that products that I use are a bit varied from Dream (which came with the essential nails kit) that I get on well with and "The Edge" products which I got from beauty for nails. Some one please help. SHould I get everything form Creative Nails or Star NAils, what would you suggest.......I am lost and need help. Sorry that this is a bit long winded but needed to get it all off my chest. My husband has not got a clue what I am on about......

Hi
What products were you actually trained with initially ?
Don't you like working with those.
if it were me I would use a well known brand that you are confident working with.it isn't any use buying a good product if you can't work with it!
Try using trial kits until you find one your entirely happy with

karrie said:
Should I get everything from Creative Nails or Star Nails
no contest IMO, personal choice would be Creative, if he wants quality in his salon. I've recently "found" Creative and love their products.
as Misty said, might be worth your while getting a few products from different companies and trying them out, then picking the one you feel most comfortable with and that give you the best results.
that is such a faberoony opportunity for you, I'm no help with the percentage splits etc as I'm mobile but 60/40 doesn't seem right (although, he is paying for half the nail station etc etc).

xx

Without getting my ass bitten off I don't think that Star Nails is an upmarket brand. I'm not too au-fait with lots of brands but if you want a company/brand that can supply everything that you will need I don't think you can go far wrong with Creative.

Manicure
Pedicure
Files
Polish
Gel, Fibre-glass, L&P
Retail

The list goes on. The packaging is really classy so should fit in with the salon. They are a very well known reputable company that should impress the salon owner if he knows his stuff.

thanks for the quick replies. I initially trained with supply source, which were ok, but the packaging looked really cheap and cheerfull. But i think i will get a few trial packs and see how i get on, thanks for your help girls:)

Hello Karrie,
I just want to say good luck also you are not too far from me I live 12 miles from Norwich I see you live at Sherigham (sorry think I spelt that wrong!)
Caz xxx

when you say 12 miles from norwich, where exactly are you. Thanks for wishing me luck, I think that I need it Big Time.....

caz3 said:
Hello Karrie,
I just want to say good luck also you are not too far from me I live 12 miles from Norwich I see you live at Sherigham (sorry think I spelt that wrong!)
Caz xxx

Dereham do you know it?

Caz xxx

Hi Karrie,

I wish you the best of luck in finding a product that suites you and just for the record, I've just done a Creative Nail Foundation course, can't go wrong with the training or the products or the technical help afterwards as well.

I would also recommend you spend alot of time reading the tutorials and articles on here, this is where 80% of my knowledge and confidence comes from. When I went on my course after reading everything, all my class mates thought I was really clever!!! (I'm not really!), but I'd had months of reading behind me which helped me so much!!!

xxxx

caz3 said:
Dereham do you know it?

Caz xxx

Hell yeah. I know dereham, my mother in law and step daughter live in dereham, that where my husband was intially from. do you work in a salon there, or are you mobile tech

A good investment now will actually save you money in the future. You see so many people (myself included) get duped by clever marketing tactics only to realise that the product and the company doesn't live up to the hype. The 2 main companies are Creative and EZ Flow, with many other good smaller companies. IMO I just won't buy a brand that my clients could get from their local wholesalers (isn't it about time Sally's did the same as Capital and made it trade only?) which is what they can do with the Star nails products.

With regard to polish then I don't think you can beat Orly. The colour is true to that in the bottle, they don't go thick or gloopy and most importatnly the clients love them and always buy more once they have tried them.

60/40 is a bit of a raw deal so negotiate! I always say this but hairdressers don't understand that we can only do one client at a time, whilst they may have an old dear under the drier, a colour taking and be doing a cut all at once, plus a junior to do all the donkey work. They therefore have the potential to make more money. It may seem like a good deal at the moment, but I can bet my bottom dollar that 6 months down the line you'll be miffed with it! around 25/30% is a better deal.

If he is doing your advertising then will you be able to have an input in this? How much will he do, as a one off will get you nowt? If you leave then will you get back the money you invested in the nail station, or will he let you take it? Will you have a written contract? lots of questions to ask yourself.

Good luck and hope all works well for you.

I agree with Sassy on the 25/30% deal, you don`t wanna be going down that route of having to hand over 40% of your money, its way too high and I think you`ll need a contract before you even go in there. If he`s paying for half that nail desk, what happens to it when you want to pull out? I know its a negative thing but you need your eyes wide open on this and you don`t want to be leaving things behind you`ve paid for if things go wrong.
As for you product, I agree again with Sassy and I have to say I`m Creative through and through, I`ve tried loads of different products and never had as good a result as I have with Creative.
If you do wish to use Creative however, you can`t buy it without doing a conversion. Try it by all means, they will sell you a try me kit, but you will need training before they`ll let you buy it on a regular basis.
Good luck with your decisions and don`t forget to let us know what you decide.

just a quick one.
the 60/40 split is very normal practice.
i'm saying this as a salon owner.
i give my team a choice of two options:
1) when you start out you may have slow moments in which u may take little or no money some days. Paying a % of your takings will suit you at this time.also, if u have a day off sick or holiday, u will have no costs to pay as a % of nothing is nothing!
2) when you are more establised, paying a % seems like you are paying too much out of your hard earned takings.however, u have to plan for the days when you don't work, as when u change to paying a set rent for your chair instead of a %, you will have to pay rent regardless of what u take.

the 60/40 split is worked out as follows:
it is worked out that the cost of products is 20% of total income.
the balance of 80%, this is split into two.
ie 40% for the salon owner to cover all costs like rent, rates, incoming telephone line, advertising, promotions, electricity, gas, repairs etc.....
40% for the technician for her time used in the salon.

the advantages of this system to the tech are that someone else is promoting you & your services for u. do not under estimate the cost & effort that this takes. they are also an established salon, so they wil b supplying u with ready made clients! if you were mobile, u would b responsible for generating all your new business yourself through advertising, promotions, etc.
also, if you were running something on your own, the overheads would have to b paid regardless of whether you have had any clients that week!
if, & its a BIG if, you rent from someone that will give you all that they promise, & it sounds like the hair salon has got their head on straight, you could do a lot worse than accepting a 60/40 split.
find out if the option is there to change to a fixed daily rent as & when you are ready to go for it?
one last thing, your education so far could be built on. if you want to use and retail creative products, book yourself on an induction course asap, to have your skills evaluated. then you can continue your education so that your skills keep up with that of the hair salon that u would b based at.

sorry, this was far from a quick one!!!
liza x

just something to add.
it costs an exorbitant amount of money to open & run a successful salon.
if you want to go that route, good luck!
if not, & you want to sit in someone elses salon, its only fair that you benefit the salon owner somewhat. ie by paying a set amount each week as a fixed rent.
the reason i give new members of my team the option of a 60/40 % initially, is that i want them to succeed for them & for me.
if a member of a team is worth haveing, i will help in any way i can to get them started. once they get going, they can earn as much as possible & give me a small part of their earnings as a fixed rent.
that way they are truly independant self employed technicians, that have been given a helping hand, & i have the team i want.
liza x

Hello,
I am quite new to this all I did a course last year and since then been practising like mad!!!!!!
When I am ready I would like to work from home I live in a town house in Dereham with a Cellar I would like to work from there part time.
If you ever want to pop in you are welcome just PM me for a chat.
Take care
Cax xxx
karrie said:
Hell yeah. I know dereham, my mother in law and step daughter live in dereham, that where my husband was intially from. do you work in a salon there, or are you mobile tech

Hi
I am new to the forum but just wanted to say that i also am training at the nail centre my last day tommorrow, and wondered if any others have trained there how they got on...i live in norwich also and would like to work from home or go mobile so i fit it round my kids!
Anyway this was just a quick message to say hi!!
Luv Nat

Hi I am Caz live in Dereham I did not train where you did so can not talk about that.

I also want to work from home to fit around kids

PM me anytime

Caz xxx

nat6375 said:
Hi
I am new to the forum but just wanted to say that i also am training at the nail centre my last day tommorrow, and wondered if any others have trained there how they got on...i live in norwich also and would like to work from home or go mobile so i fit it round my kids!
Luv Nat

caz3 said:
Hello,
I am quite new to this all I did a course last year and since then been practising like mad!!!!!!
When I am ready I would like to work from home I live in a town house in Dereham with a Cellar I would like to work from there part time.
If you ever want to pop in you are welcome just PM me for a chat.
Take care
Cax xxx

That would be great, I will let you know next time I am that way, you are lucky to have someonwhere at home to do your work. My husband and I are now moving above a pub in sheringham. He has just taken over as landlord and we have to live in the premises above, bit of a bummer really, coz got two little kids, dont think a pub is the best place for them to be......but needs must. So there is no where for me to do nails at the pub. so to me this is the only option, its sort of a take it or leave it deal, If I dont take it I just might regret it.

nat6375 said:
Hi
Luv Nat

Hi, there
what did you think of the training at the nail centre, did you think it was good, I had been practicing a long time before I even went on the training, and still practising now, would you sign up to any of her other courses at the nail centre. I have done an addition Liquid and Powder course, but have now signed up to essential nails, which I am doing now, and also would like to do creative nails course in the near future, what do you have planned. The only thing is the expense, it is so expensive to keep doing course after course and then paying out the money for the materials we use to practise??? sorry i am rabbiting on a bit.... thanks

brilliant post lisa, its nice to get the point of view from salon owner, in regards to space rent etc

Latest posts

Back