Help! I want advice on how to get rid of my dark colour please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyboutique

Reaction score
I am hoping that you might give me a bit of advice prior to visiting my hairdresser on Thursday. I am 44 and grey with dark brown (I think a numbber 4 or 5 was on the colour swatch, if that helps). I have to have my roots done every 4 weeks and even at 3 weeks they bug me. I think that I am too dark for my complexion now and want to go lighter.
Idelly I would like to just have high and low lights in my hair to mix in with the grey to give a more natural and less 'block' colour look.
My question is - should I have all the colour stipped from my hair? Will this be too harsh? Will it turn orange or something awful?

How do I achieve a more natural look? My friends say I should go blonde but I just can't see myself blonde as I am naturally dark brunette and still have very dark eyebrows.
I have had my colours done and I am cool so certainly no brassy colours for me.

Any advice welcome.
Thanks Jane x

43 people have looked - nobody have any adivce??
I would really appreciate a second opinion.
thanks in advance
Jane x

You have a few options. you could have it stripped but you would need to have a full head tint on top of that. do you wanna come away from a tint completely or have a tint and highlights? what does your hairdresser think? x
Posted via Mobile Device

i dont think people want to advise you as you are a beauty pro not hair,
but yes sure it can be done,, providing your hair is in good condition, it can be removed a number of ways BUT ,yes ,it will go orange... (that is what we woud aim for) as the colour is out then, then it needs to be recoloured but only really a pro would know what to use to re-colour after we see the result of the colour removal.
htms
best go see your hairdresser and see if your hair is in good enough condition to put any harsh remover on
good luck
xxx

Thank you both for your for replies.
I know what you mean when you say I am not a hair pro so people may not want to adivse me - I can't understand most of the posts on this forum!! all those numbers and technical terms. I was hoping to get some laymans advice.
I just wanted to know what another pro might think before going to my hairdresser, just a second opinion. I will see what she advised on Thursday. I think my hair is in good condition so we will see.
Ideally I would like to just have high and low lights within my natural grey, however I am a bit frightened that I may be greyer than I think!! I am not sure if it would look right either as I have not seen anyone with this look.
What I want to get away from is the grey root growth at 3 weeks. I think it is more obvious because the colour is too dark. You mention a tint - I don't know the difference between a tint and a full head colour, sorry.

I am in such a quandry and am thinking of having a radical cut too! I do this from time to time. My hair is currently in a jaw length bob and I think I might have my summer soon.

Thanks again.

Highlights/ lowlights etc will not disguise grey roots. A lighter colour will still show grey roots. Even blonde highlights will still need your natural colour flooded through to cover those grey roots. There really is no magic haircolour that is going to disguise grey roots in the way that you want.
Sorry that sounded blunt.

yeah i agree with persianista, you will still see the grey roots, they unfortunatly are always gonna need recolouring, maybe a few highlights on your exsisting colour, i dunno, medium and light blondes would give you a less grey/dark line (if that makes sense) contrast
but prob only give you another week or so more between colours...
and alot more money.

ps, a tint is another word for colour.

Hey Jane,

by moving towards lighter colours it would soften that harsh line you get with the regrowth on block dyed hair that is a brown shade. I have clients that have various shades of blonde to very light brown weaved through in highlights that gives a subtle and pretty natural look , if you dont mind that there will be some grey/white flickers through this is a lovely technique. Several ways to go lighter especially if you are going for that swhorter funky cut is a gradual lightening of the tint level. say 5 to 6 with some highlights running through can enable you to go lighter gradually without having colour stripped out. Going Lighter as you get more mature in years :D can be so enhancing to skin tone and eye colour . Definately food for thought , have an in depth consultation with your hairdresser, use some pics if poss , hope this helps x

Hey Jane,

by moving towards lighter colours it would soften that harsh line you get with the regrowth on block dyed hair that is a brown shade. I have clients that have various shades of blonde to very light brown weaved through in highlights that gives a subtle and pretty natural look , if you dont mind that there will be some grey/white flickers through this is a lovely technique. Several ways to go lighter especially if you are going for that swhorter funky cut is a gradual lightening of the tint level. say 5 to 6 with some highlights running through can enable you to go lighter gradually without having colour stripped out. Going Lighter as you get more mature in years :D can be so enhancing to skin tone and eye colour . Definately food for thought , have an in depth consultation with your hairdresser, use some pics if poss , hope this helps x

Hi Sainsy
I think this is what I would like to work torwards - the softer look, both for my skin tone and my very obvious re-growth. Sounds like what I want is nearly possible.
Thanks for your advice. I will be able to talk more confidently to my stylist on Thursday now.

persianista - I did not think you were blunt - I know what I am pretty much asking for the impossible!

jotommo - thank you for your input too.

Jane x
Jane

My pleasure Jane,

What ever you go for , enjoy x

Latest posts

Back