Help! Moving out working 16 hours a week?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPB

Reaction score
I've never done this before but i'm 23 and would like to move out of my parents house, there is tension between me and my sisters and i would like my own space and things now.
My family seem to walk over my and i don't get a thank you for house sitting and walking dogs for two weeks while they went away, i struggled like hell with my work and picked up two days overtime.
My other sister takes the mick and my one other sister doesn't want to know me, their boyfriends hate me. They all ask me for lifts and walk over me, ask to borrow money anything, i do it for them and now they all get pissy if i can't do one favour, while i'm trying to spend time with my new date and get myself a relationship i'm getting grief.
There's more to the story, but i live in wales and would like to know where do i look or ask for help to move out, i only want to move somewhere small just for myself.

At least get registered with your local housing authority. They will be able to tell you how to go about getting your own place. Put your cards on the table and tell them how ban it is. You may have a wait, but its easier to get somewhere for one person or a couple rather than a family home. They can possibly even help with private renting.

At least get registered with your local housing authority. They will be able to tell you how to go about getting your own place. Put your cards on the table and tell them how ban it is. You may have a wait, but its easier to get somewhere for one person or a couple rather than a family home. They can possibly even help with private renting.

Thank you, i am trying to google and find them.

Please don't go down the route of housing benefits. They were initially set up to help the destitute families after the war. It has now become a p**s take. Try and save up and do it on your own. There are loads of house shares available in my area. You can usually get a reasonably sized room to yourself but share the kitchen, lounge , bathroom etc. Have a look in the paper. That's how I started when I couldn't stand it at home anymore. I shared with two female students and it was great. We had a housewoek rota and split the utility bills. Then when I got a boyfriend and our relationship got more serious I moved in with him.

Please don't go down the route of housing benefits. They were initially set up to help the destitute families after the war. It has now become a p**s take. Try and save up and do it on your own. There are loads of house shares available in my area. You can usually get a reasonably sized room to yourself but share the kitchen, lounge , bathroom etc. Have a look in the paper. That's how I started when I couldn't stand it at home anymore. I shared with two female students and it was great. We had a housewoek rota and split the utility bills. Then when I got a boyfriend and our relationship got more serious I moved in with him.

But then its trusting those people to live with you? I was hoping to start my business from home when it picked up, so that's why i wanted one bedroom flat or something to myself. I wasn't looking at getting a massive house with 5 bedrooms to myself, just one bedroom flat or something. Plus i only earn £100 a week and trying to keep the car on the road with tax and insurance and other bills i pay, i don't have savings and i only just started this new job so didn't want to quit for a full time as i want to do my beauty therapy on the side i.e days i'm off. But i don't earn loads from it as i travel to them and been quiet for the past two weeks and only started in june.

Private rent,
youl need:
deposit usually a little higher than a months rent,
1st months rent upfront
Agency fees for credit checks
References

My opinion stay at home, work your but off and save for a deposit and get a mortgage youl struggle to save if you rent a property the rent prices are sky high just now,

Your young so start on the right foot by owning your own home

Private rent,
youl need:
deposit usually a little higher than a months rent,
1st months rent upfront
Agency fees for credit checks
References

My opinion stay at home, work your but off and save for a deposit and get a mortgage youl struggle to save if you rent a property the rent prices are sky high just now,

Your young so start on the right foot by owning your own home

Thank you. I know some, not all move out with partners so its usually more straight forward, i would like to stay at home and save, i owe them money and stuff atm, but i just need a break away from my family, like a good break for a month or something, but i obviously don't know what to do.

If you aren't earning a lot, you can get help with your rent through housing benefit. You shouldn't have to live like that. Have a look about for places to rent. The website rightmove is good. Also have a look online at housing benefit and it should tell you more. I think there is a calculator online which should tell you how much you would be entitled to. I dont know much about it as i have never claimed it. Where in wales are you Hun? I'm in Cardiff xx

Just seen your above post do you have an aunty or other family member you could stay with for a month and have a break? xx

Then save up a deposit and rent one. My personal opinion is that you shouldn't be entitled to housing benefits just because you want your own space. There are many needy people out there starving and on the streets. You are working and have a career and should be able to support yourself when you can build your hours up. You should start from the bottom and work your own way up. But I really feel house-share would be your best option while you're saving if you really can't stand it at home anymore. Look around, you will know who you want to share with when you meet them. My flat mates were complete strangers but became great friends. It was really good fun and living alone can be very lonely. I flat-sat my brother's flat while he went round the world for 6 months and I felt very lonely and sometimes frightened.

Too many people want everything all at once. It just doesn't work like that in the real world. You will really feel a sense of achievement and self respect when you can do it yourself. I wish you loads of luck ....keep motivated! I promise you, the pay-off at the end is priceless.:hug:

Thank you. I know some, not all move out with partners so its usually more straight forward, i would like to stay at home and save, i owe them money and stuff atm, but i just need a break away from my family, like a good break for a month or something, but i obviously don't know what to do.

Sit down and chat to them all together to try and make life more tolerable.

I would just keep yourself to yourself do your share of house chores and do no favours if they are not appreciated!

This decision will set you up for life think about it sensibly,
Renting a property is ok for now but extremely hard to get out of that situation

Would any of your friends like to do a house/flat share. By the sounds of it you will need help so don't let the current stigma put you off. Or do you have a friend you could move in with short term. Rent a room or something.

If you aren't earning a lot, you can get help with your rent through housing benefit. You shouldn't have to live like that. Have a look about for places to rent. The website rightmove is good. Also have a look online at housing benefit and it should tell you more. I think there is a calculator online which should tell you how much you would be entitled to. I dont know much about it as i have never claimed it. Where in wales are you Hun? I'm in Cardiff xx

I live more in the valleys, between blackwood and ebbw vale. I don't mind staying local as my main job is up in blaenavon, so closer i am local the better, plus most of my clients are now local when i do drum the business up.

It's just that i don't think they think i can do it, they still see me as a child and i think moving out and going about my own life would make them see me different, and i am hoping it would be good for me.
I'm just fed up of falling out with my family, having them sometimes moan to me about simple things (I.e if they had a bad day) i think my own space is important too now. All my friends have children and have moved out, and people look down on me now. At first my parents didn't even trust me minding the dogs? I was mad because i've managed to get myself qualified and get my own business off the ground and then they couldn't trust me to mind two dogs for two weeks, made me feel small.

Just seen your above post do you have an aunty or other family member you could stay with for a month and have a break? xx

Not really, my grandad lives across the street but he has a routine and lives alone since my nan passed away, and i think i would annoy him and he's really old fashioned aswell, he has everything perfect i think if i stayed with him i would probably annoy him as he's gotten use to being on his own plus my mam visits him everyday across the street, so it isn't getting away. Nah i can't think of anyone off the top my head.

Then save up a deposit and rent one. My personal opinion is that you shouldn't be entitled to housing benefits just because you want your own space. There are many needy people out there starving and on the streets. You are working and have a career and should be able to support yourself when you can build your hours up. You should start from the bottom and work your own way up. But I really feel house-share would be your best option while you're saving if you really can't stand it at home anymore. Look around, you will know who you want to share with when you meet them. My flat mates were complete strangers but became great friends. It was really good fun and living alone can be very lonely. I flat-sat my brother's flat while he went round the world for 6 months and I felt very lonely and sometimes frightened.

Too many people want everything all at once. It just doesn't work like that in the real world. You will really feel a sense of achievement and self respect when you can do it yourself. I wish you loads of luck ....keep motivated! I promise you, the pay-off at the end is priceless.:hug:

I can understand where you are coming from, but it's not so much being greedy, everyone has different and personal backgrounds, and i understand about needy people, but sometimes the question is, how did they get to that situation themselves, some (not all) have probably done it to themselves because they couldn't get the strength to motivate themselves, like i am trying to do? But i don't mean to get into a debate, everyone is different and there are people less fortunate than myself, but there isn't nothing i can really do about that because it's not my situation. I dunno how to explain it without sounding selfish, my situation is me wanting my own space really and i am trying to look out for number one, I've tried looking out for other's but it gets thrown in my face, if i worried about everyone less fortunate than myself i don't think i could get myself through a day and on track to look out for myself and even my own family one day.

Sit down and chat to them all together to try and make life more tolerable.

I would just keep yourself to yourself do your share of house chores and do no favours if they are not appreciated!

This decision will set you up for life think about it sensibly,
Renting a property is ok for now but extremely hard to get out of that situation
Yea, i had to ask and see what people had to say. It's hard because i forgive and forget, but it literally crushes me everytime they throw it back into my face, if i ever needed a favour they are no where to be seen or they run.

I've never done this before but i'm 23 and would like to move out of my parents house, there is tension between me and my sisters and i would like my own space and things now.
My family seem to walk over my and i don't get a thank you for house sitting and walking dogs for two weeks while they went away, i struggled like hell with my work and picked up two days overtime.
My other sister takes the mick and my one other sister doesn't want to know me, their boyfriends hate me. They all ask me for lifts and walk over me, ask to borrow money anything, i do it for them and now they all get pissy if i can't do one favour, while i'm trying to spend time with my new date and get myself a relationship i'm getting grief.
There's more to the story, but i live in wales and would like to know where do i look or ask for help to move out, i only want to move somewhere small just for myself.

I am also 23 and live at home..
Would love to move out and have my own space but I'm currently saving my ass off to get a deposit so I can move out properly.
It's just the way of life isn't it you gotta earn money and save to be able to.. Like some people have said above you could flat share with a mate etc but I don't believe there are many other ways around it other than working hard and saving so you can move out.
Least you have a home at the end of the day unlike some people out there who have nothing..however much people at home may annoy you from time to time.
I help out at home all the time cook meals everyday for all my fam, washing ironing, buying stuff etc.. I don't always get a thank you cos I don't need one it's just what I think anyone should do cos I'm still living under my parents roof.. Help out best I can.

Work hard and it will pay off

X

Totally agree with you xx

Having your own place and independence will be wonderful, but it comes at a price.

You will need at least a couple of grand to be able to rent, with the deposits that you have to put down and you have to pay other fee's on top of that too and they usually want another month up front too etc.

Gonna state the obvious here, but electric bills etc on top of that and you will also need your own rental insurance and then council tax on top of that too each month.

It's very easy to rent, you just have to make sure you can afford it first. And if so, good luck with your move :)

I am also 23 and live at home..
Would love to move out and have my own space but I'm currently saving my ass off to get a deposit so I can move out properly.
It's just the way of life isn't it you gotta earn money and save to be able to.. Like some people have said above you could flat share with a mate etc but I don't believe there are many other ways around it other than working hard and saving so you can move out.
Least you have a home at the end of the day unlike some people out there who have nothing..however much people at home may annoy you from time to time.
I help out at home all the time cook meals everyday for all my fam, washing ironing, buying stuff etc.. I don't always get a thank you cos I don't need one it's just what I think anyone should do cos I'm still living under my parents roof.. Help out best I can.

Work hard and it will pay off

X
Yea i understand, but they kicked up a fuss on letting my housesit / dog sit and i was crying at the end of the week as my sister who lives 15mins away with her partner accused me of beating the dogs as the one dog is old and she limps, she climbs onto the sofa and gets stiff, my parents knows that and the other hadn't seen people so was crying with excitement when she seen my sister's partner the other day, i was off to work and i had walked and fed them, even leaving the back door open so they wasn't stuck inside for 6hours and i got into work and was being accused of all sorts, beating, not feeding or walking them, when i clearly had for two weeks, i felt so down and low over these accusations i told my mam when they got back to ask my neighbour if i had been walking them because she will tell them the truth.

My sister asked to borrow £150, i don't have much money but i saved enough, she text me last min as i got from work thursday asking me to take her from her house to the other side about an hour drive to collect snakes and lend her money, then she said she couldn't come so asked me to go to her's collect the tubs and go and get the snakes and go back to hers, i had just got from work, had no food had to walk and feed the dogs and get changed before sitting down, and i was going to drop my plans for my date to do that for her, then i was waiting on my date to come ( Something different i spose for us to do) and he was running late, so i text her saying its late should i do it tomorrow and she was fine with it, she said ah its ok he's not there tomorrow i'll get them saturday i get paid then blah blah, and she was all ok with me not doing it then. And monday is when she acused me of animal abuse, and i contacted her today saying she has made me feel low, and she said i dropped her for my date? I didn't even see my date that night as he was working on and i ended up going to bed early as i was shattered. I even treated her and her baby to a meal the sunday before, and she threw that in my face today saying i only done it because i was bored...!!! What..

If i ever asked her for anything, i can vouch 100% i wouldn't get it, there are excuses, but i bend over backwards sometimes to be there for her, my younger sister doesn't make conversation with me or never wants to do anything with me, only wants to know me when i do her nails. Her partner hates me, she's only 16 and her boyfriend is 18 and he has been nothing but rude and horrible to me.. And they all go over my sisters and all b**ch and go against me, and i'm left at home on my own getting upset each night because my own sister's pick on me and makes me feel down. I spent all day crying, was ment to post my flyers but spent today crying in my room, losing my confidence.

I know i sound like a baby, getting upset over these small things, but i do take too much to heart, i'd love not to give a crap, i really would, but sadly i am only human and i care too much sometimes and my feelings get hurt. Like i said we all have our own problems, and i am just struggling at the moment with my family, feeling left out by them and its making me want to move away from them to give us all space. I just don't know anymore, it's just hurtful when your own twin sister turns against you all the time and not feeling like you have sisters.

I doubt very much you would be able to afford even a house share on £400 per month, & run your car. (Unless renting a room is incredibly cheap near you ;))

Let alone eat!

Only thing is if you go down the council house/housing benefit route you more than likely wont be able to run a business from your home.

With you not being 25 yet you also wouldnt be entitled to working tax credits. (Unless you have a child)

You would be entitled to *some* housing benefit, with you working you would have to pay a set amount per week towards your rent & council tax.

If it is what you want to do, speak to your local council & find out more.

As you arent homeless you may have to wait a while, & by then hopefully you'll be able to pay more towards your rent -if not all of it. Whilst buying your own home would be ideal it may not actually be an option given your finances.

Hope you get sorted :) xx

Latest posts

Back