Help! Nail plate separating from nail bed with Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay it worked! :)

Sent from my X10i using SalonGeek

Hi ya, do you use cuticle away and do you wash the product off with water and soap? If not the product would keep working and eating away soft tissue.

Yep always I always use soap and water to de-activate cuticle away if I use it. X

Guys, you have oncholysis!!!! It typically starts on the ring finger. You need to get it treated. You might be allergic to something I the product, do not use anything on your nails the nail is essentially pulling away from the plate. This can become permanent if left for more than 6 months! Surprised you didn't cover this in your training.

I'd like to add that I had a client, a while ago, whose Pinky nail pulled away. I thought onycholisys as well. It seriously looked like your basic lifting. I told her to ask her doc. Turned out to be caused by an internal fungal infection she picked up at her gym. She had to take meds before it went completely away. I try to always err on the side of safety. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Guys, you have oncholysis!!!! It typically starts on the ring finger. You need to get it treated. You might be allergic to something I the product, do not use anything on your nails the nail is essentially pulling away from the plate. This can become permanent if left for more than 6 months! Surprised you didn't cover this in your training.

Thank u for pointing out your suspicions, if it is onycholisis I know it can be caused by an allergic reaction, I use Shellac but also introduced Gelish a while ago for clients who are not good candidates for shellac. Ive been using Gelish on myself for a couple of months now, so perhaps it doesnt agree with my nails :-(
I will still get it checked for fungal nail infection though.
Looks like it will be short bare nails for me for a while :-( :-(

I am so glad I read this post, I have a regular client who has been coming to me for 6 months now. She previously went to a non standard salon where they soak the nail plates every two weeks in acetone and used drills to buff the cuticles. When I first treated her nails they were half white with dehydration! Anyway the dehydration has improved but the time she visited me I could see her nail plate on her left hand ring finger going a bit creamy at the side down on the corner of the nail, anyway she came to me this week and it seems to be getting worse, the nail is starting to split. The white creamy bit is also getting bigger. I didnt want to perform a treatment however She asked me to re-shellac as she had a wedding on but I have said to her she needs to have it removed and go to the doctor. I thought it might be a fungal infection but on reading this I think it might be oncholysis. Do I need to send her to her doctor or is it a case of letting it grow out and leave nail alone?
I am fully trained with shellac with CND and i only use CND purchased through S2.

Can she use solar oil? Thanks

Thanx 4 ur replies. Yes I know tht th proper term is onycholysis. I jst thnk if I am allergic 2 shellac thn it is very strange tht it is only presenting itself on my pinkies & nt other nails. Would it eventually spread 2 my other nails do u think? I hv never had an allergic reaction 2 any products b4 & just think its odd that my client is experiencing the exact same symptoms on only her pinkies. Very confusing! I will contact sweet squared 2moro & c if they can shed some light. Thanx xxx

I am so glad I read this post, I have a regular client who has been coming to me for 6 months now. She previously went to a non standard salon where they soak the nail plates every two weeks in acetone and used drills to buff the cuticles. When I first treated her nails they were half white with dehydration! Anyway the dehydration has improved but the time she visited me I could see her nail plate on her left hand ring finger going a bit creamy at the side down on the corner of the nail, anyway she came to me this week and it seems to be getting worse, the nail is starting to split. The white creamy bit is also getting bigger. I didnt want to perform a treatment however She asked me to re-shellac as she had a wedding on but I have said to her she needs to have it removed and go to the doctor. I thought it might be a fungal infection but on reading this I think it might be oncholysis. Do I need to send her to her doctor or is it a case of letting it grow out and leave nail alone?
I am fully trained with shellac with CND and i only use CND purchased through S2.

Can she use solar oil? Thanks

If your client is concerned of course it's always best to refer her to a doctor.

In the meantime, yes solar oil should be applied at least twice a day. Ask your client to take a minute to massage it in - the massage will get the blood flowing and this should speed up the growth and hopefully the nail will re-attach itself.

It's always best to keep the nails short to avoid any further trauma.

As said before, onycholyis can be seen in older clients and this could be down to medication (older clients are more likely to take medication than a younger client)

I've been using Shellac for two years now and I've only seen this on one client. She's a lady in her late 60s and she's on a lot of medication. She admitted herself that she didn't follow the after-care I gave her, but since developing onycholysis, she now realises how important it is to use her oil and keep her nails at a reasonable length.

My mother is also prone to onycholysis as she has psorasis, but keeps it under control, as she now knows to follow the same advice. She wouldn't be without her solor oil!

I think chickafish has given the best answer to the OP by quoting Doug Schoon.

I've experienced this on my pinkies before but not with Shellac with acrylic! The first time I experienced it was when a friend practiced on me and used tips that were too small. Ouch. Now whenever I do enhancements on myself it happens again, even when I use the correct sized tips. Its like its created a weakness in those two nails. However, i haven't had acrylics for months and have just been using Shellac and I haven't noticed it.

Do you think it could be that when you seal the free edge with Shellac product may seep under the free edge and possibly some people can have a reaction? Just an idea! I haven't noticed it on any of my clients so far Xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

If your client is concerned of course it's always best to refer her to a doctor.

In the meantime, yes solar oil should be applied at least twice a day. Ask your client to take a minute to massage it in - the massage will get the blood flowing and this should speed up the growth and hopefully the nail will re-attach itself.

It's always best to keep the nails short to avoid any further trauma.

As said before, onycholyis can be seen in older clients and this could be down to medication (older clients are more likely to take medication than a younger client)

I've been using Shellac for two years now and I've only seen this on one client. She's a lady in her late 60s and she's on a lot of medication. She admitted herself that she didn't follow the after-care I gave her, but since developing onycholysis, she now realises how important it is to use her oil and keep her nails at a reasonable length.

My mother is also prone to onycholysis as she has psorasis, but keeps it under control, as she now knows to follow the same advice. She wouldn't be without her solor oil!

I think chickafish has given the best answer to the OP by quoting Doug Schoon.

Thanks, my client is back in week after next, I am going to remove shellac and tell her to go to docs. She will be disappointed as she love her shellac but I need to put her health first. Does anyone know if it will clear up completely.
Thanks

Thanks, my client is back in week after next, I am going to remove shellac and tell her to go to docs. She will be disappointed as she love her shellac but I need to put her health first. Does anyone know if it will clear up completely.
Thanks

It depends what has caused it really.

It can come and go. My client admitted that she cleans under her free edge with an orange wood stick. I love this lady, as she's honest with me, so I can help her, but unfortunately not all clients are willing to admit things like that.

Latest posts

Back