Help Needed with Problem Staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katykitten

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Sorry to be picking your brains again today, but I'm in a bit of a pickle!

I rent a small side room in my salon to a young therapist (she graduated from college last month in Holistic Therapy) and she operates solely from her room as well as helping me with reception duties etc. It is also great for me as she offers most treatments that I don't

However, although my salon opening hours are 10-7, I'm lucky if she comes in 1-5.30pm. This then means that when I have customers both new and existing asking information about her treatments, wanting to book appointments with her i really struggle, as I don't know when she's going to be there, and obviously I only have a basic understanding of her treatments and so can't refer them to her. She is just so relaxed about everything and it's making double the amount of work for me. I have no problem if she doesn't want to work salon hours, but she doesn't even give me the hours she works, she just turns up when she feels like it, and it's getting to the point where I'm having to 'cover' for her with her potential customers which is really not professional and I worry that it soon may ruin the reputation of my salon, and I may be seen as a really relaxed, not bothered type of place. I've only been open 3 months so I'm putting everything into building the place up and I just feel like she is not taking myself, my salon or her position seriously.:cry:

The last straw came last night after she rushed out straight after a treatment to meet her friend. I don't usually go into her room but I needed to keep my laptop in there out of sight last night, and what a good job I did! I found her candles still burning, which were situated under a wicker flower arrangement next to a drafty door!!!!! I was speechless!! My partner was hitting the roof! How could anyone have been so careless! If I hadn't of gone in there I'm 99% sure my salon would have burnt down last night and I wouldn't have got a penny through insurance.

I did send her a message telling her what she's done, but all I got was a text message back saying "so sorry, won't happen again, I was in such a rush"

Geeks, I just really, really, really don't know what to do. My partner has said to terminate her contract and get rid of her, but I'm thinking maybe sit down and speak to her or another suggestion by a friend was through a written warning. But it's hard as she's not my staff, I'm only her landlord as it were, however, I'm really worried I don't catch it next time and something does happen, i just don't think I can trust her now.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding over dramatic or for the long post, but any advice would be appreciated xxx

Hi there,

Im really sorry to hear you have had all this trouble. I'm qualified in Holistic therapies, I think that you should have a meeting with this girl and bring up the things that are bothering you, and try to come to an agreement that works for both of you.

If after that she still continues to behave in the way she is doing so then (sorry to sound blunt) but get rid of her. You have spent far too much time, money and energy starting your own business to have this potentially putting off clients coming to you. I've found that most clients think if everyone is in the building then they are all the same company.

Try to stay positive and beleive you will find a solution that gives you peace of mind.

xxx:)

If she is renting the space from you and is not employed by you then you cannot issue her a warning as you dont employ her.

The Inland Revenue also states that you cannot stipulate the hours that she works either. But I totally agree that this kind of agreement doesnt do your business any favors and you need to at least know what hours she will be working so you can book appointments in for her.

A landlord/rental agreement is always a difficult one - have you thought about employing her instead? Then you can specify what she does or doesnt do to suit your business.

Latest posts

Back