Help, new Beauty Therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammysmiles

Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if I could ask for some advice. Here's my story:

I recently qualified as a level 2 beauty therapist and rented a room straight away. The salon is great, the girls are lovely and after a shaky couple of months I am building up a good little business.

My problem is that I share the room with an ex-student/fellow therapist. We decided to share as she works full time and couldn't risk earning nothing whilst the business builds up. I guess this is where my story really begins:

I do the days and she does 2 evenings and a Saturday. In the first instance we shared stock, a week in it was clear this wouldn't work. My tweezers were left filthy and a couple of things were broken. So we now used our own and shared consumables/disposables, big mistake number 2! She used everything and expected me to replace it.

I now take everything home with me the days she's in as I am a neat freak and need everything to hand where I know where it is.

The beauty bed is mine that I use for mobile as well yet she hasn't got round to buying one, I do all the advertising/thinking if new ideas to bring customers in but she will pay half if it costs.

The salon owners aren't happy as she will hang around them all day when they are busy and apparently comes across like my sidekick ie I'm the boss and she's my employee. This is all because of the work she doesn't put in.

I'm frustrated as my days are now really busy, I have undertaken a couple of extra courses to compliment what I do. I don't take profit home as it goes straight back into the expensive courses/stock etc

It doesn't feel like she wants to be there. I asked her if she was happy with the way the business is going, she says yes but to be fair she isn't making any money, any effort. She very rarely has bookings and if she doesn't she won't come in.

It seems she is enjoying having her hair, nails done weekly and having a chat. I scrub the room every week top to bottom yet I had to coax her last week to Hoover up.

Help! I want her gone, the salon owners want her gone but she is my friend albeit a lazy one! Do I giver her another chance? I am at a complete loss right now :(

I know how much of a sticky situation that can be! Unfortunately the line between maintaining a friendship and getting work done is a very thin one. Sometimes however you just have to say it, that you would like 'this, that and the other' to be done whilst you look after other things and complete other tasks.
It's also made trickier if you don't have a contract so in her eyes you're equals even though you feel like you're doing all the work to really kickstart your business, so if you try and approach her about doing more etc she can say you have no authority and this is her business as much as yours.
Whilst I have worked with my best friend in the past, I'd have to seriously consider going into business with her, especially if she was my boss or if I was hers. You're there to really do some business, get some clients and do a job you enjoy, so if I was you I'd try and iron out a contract with this girl saying that this is what should be done (for example, both of you should be there for the whole day even if you have no bookings, you should both wear a uniform of.... I don't know, whatever regulations you feel are needed) If she's a good friend she'll realise that you just want to get a lot out of the opportunity, if she isn't and she walks then who cares? By the sounds of it you've got enough drive to get through it and will make a solid business.

Thank you so much for your reply. Previously I worked for my best friend in a non beauty role and for the 8 hours a day I was there she was my boss and we are still best friends to this day with no problems.

It just feels very much like a take take situation at the moment. She doesn't drive so I'm almost expected to get stock etc.

Just feeling very frustrated as the customers I now have are re-booking and I am seeing happy faces and a full diary and that's what I want. At the moment I am hesitant at putting any more marketing ideas into action as I kind of begrudge giving her any business and it makes me feel like a terrible person!

I know exactly how you feel! What name are you working under? If you rent the room from the salon are you working under the salon name or have you both made a name just for your room? (Hope that makes sense! :S)
I can understand the marketing issues, probably feeling like you're advertising for people to book with her when she does nothing to help.. perhaps you could make it your role to get stock, and seeing as you'd be buying hers as well, you could suggest she do something to help you out?
If I was you I'd be itching to have a chat with this woman, is there any day when you're both in and working together or do you have your set days and come and go as you please? If there's a day when you're together or a time when you're free to chat, face to face, just sit down with a coffee and have a relaxed chat. I'd probably just ask what she aims to get from renting a room with you, what are her goals and where does she want to take it? Does she eventually want to quit her job? (I'd be asking this all as conversation and not like an interview!)
Perhaps if she says that she feels like this is just something on the side as she works full time so has stable income, or if she says she doesn't intend to move over to the salon as a career you could suggest getting a written contract, written consensually between both of you. Perhaps you could say that now your room is really starting to get some clients and work is starting to pay off you should just write a contract in case of anything happening, just stating when you should both be in work, roles and responsibilities (maintaining a clean area, not just for your sanity but for Health and Safety)

Sorry that this reply is so long! You're in a great situation at the moment with a wonderful opportunity to progress, hope this all works out for you!

It's clearly not going to work. Why should you work as hard as you have been to build up her business. I would just tell her nicely that it's not working out for you. Seriously if you feel like this now how will you feel 18 months down the line. When you have steadily built up your business through your own hard work and have lots of clients you will find it really hard to get rid of her without it costing you. It's better to do it sooner rather than later. If she was an employee or you were getting a percentage of her earnings then it would be OK for you to be taking all the responsibility of getting clients, advertising, stock control etc... but not as it is. Nobody would do it for you! She is obviously a very different person from you and has different standards. Good luck. x

I am terrible at confrontation, could I email? Eek, what a wimp. I just don't know how to say it I guess :(

Hi,

I wonder if I could ask for some advice. Here's my story:

I recently qualified as a level 2 beauty therapist and rented a room straight away. The salon is great, the girls are lovely and after a shaky couple of months I am building up a good little business.

My problem is that I share the room with an ex-student/fellow therapist. We decided to share as she works full time and couldn't risk earning nothing whilst the business builds up. I guess this is where my story really begins:

I do the days and she does 2 evenings and a Saturday. In the first instance we shared stock, a week in it was clear this wouldn't work. My tweezers were left filthy and a couple of things were broken. So we now used our own and shared consumables/disposables, big mistake number 2! She used everything and expected me to replace it.

I now take everything home with me the days she's in as I am a neat freak and need everything to hand where I know where it is.

The beauty bed is mine that I use for mobile as well yet she hasn't got round to buying one, I do all the advertising/thinking if new ideas to bring customers in but she will pay half if it costs.

The salon owners aren't happy as she will hang around them all day when they are busy and apparently comes across like my sidekick ie I'm the boss and she's my employee. This is all because of the work she doesn't put in.

I'm frustrated as my days are now really busy, I have undertaken a couple of extra courses to compliment what I do. I don't take profit home as it goes straight back into the expensive courses/stock etc

It doesn't feel like she wants to be there. I asked her if she was happy with the way the business is going, she says yes but to be fair she isn't making any money, any effort. She very rarely has bookings and if she doesn't she won't come in.

It seems she is enjoying having her hair, nails done weekly and having a chat. I scrub the room every week top to bottom yet I had to coax her last week to Hoover up.

Help! I want her gone, the salon owners want her gone but she is my friend albeit a lazy one! Do I giver her another chance? I am at a complete loss right now :(

Could u not get the salon manager or owner to have a word as its there rep to. Or just be cruel an say I'm getting do mane complaints do u think u need more training etch x

I know this is a complete cop out but an easy way out plus more business would be to say that you need the extra hours in the salon and start working her hours.

As unpleasant as it might be you are the one who has to have the conversation and you must gather all your courage and tell her the 'partnership' is over.

What is the point in making things up or getting someone else to do it for you??

There is no defence against the truth my lovely. And the truth is that she is not committed to the business and sounds a little too lazy to ever be successful.

Sharing a room does not work unless both parties are clean and respectful to each other ie one does not leave the room in a less than immaculate state when they go home for the day/night.

If this is going to be your business you need to take control of it right now. There is no room for hangers-on when you are a one-man band.

Your reputation may not suffer but it will definitely not be enhanced by her contribution.

If she has no clients and doesn't come in she may as well work from home. She can be as dirty as she likes then although when the equipment belongs to her she will probably take more care of it.

If you want to save the friendship then this venture needs to be terminated.

Not everyone is a suitable candidate to work for themselves.

It takes a lot of hard work, focus, drive, hard work, determination, long hours, hard work, committment and did I already mention hard work :wink2:

Peace and respect xxx

Well, I think I have pretty much made up my mind to tell her it's not working for me. The thing is I am self employed for a reason, to do ky own thing and I don't want to carry/train someone else.

The question is, what do I say? I am old enough to know that it needs to come from me but too inexperienced in this sort of thing to know what to say?

What if she won't go? We have no contracts in place etc but I am guessing I can't force her to give up can I? :/

Well, I think I have pretty much made up my mind to tell her it's not working for me. The thing is I am self employed for a reason, to do ky own thing and I don't want to carry/train someone else.

The question is, what do I say? I am old enough to know that it needs to come from me but too inexperienced in this sort of thing to know what to say?

What if she won't go? We have no contracts in place etc but I am guessing I can't force her to give up can I? :/

Who is the agreement with?

You and the salon owner? How did you come to get this girl in with you? Can you get some kind of basic written agreement with the owner?

And then tell your friend you need a business meeting. That there is a huge imbalance in the business relationship. You do all the cleaning, you do all the advertising and think up the ideas, and you seem to do all of the work.

Two therapists renting a room just does not work as their is a serious conflict of interest. Your clients are yours. Her clients are hers.

The advertising and ideas should be bringing in clients foryou. She needs to do her own.

Oh, hold on I've just had a thought.

You could tell her that the room is big enough for one therapist only.

Tell her you would definitely like to take it on but if she is also interested in sole responsibility then you could suggest you both present the salon owners with individual business plans so a decision can be made.

How do you feel about that idea?

just sit her down and tell your reasons point blank. "It's not working for me to be sharing a room with you. I need to be able to concentrate on building my business without distractions. I feel it would be better if you found a seperate space to run your own business from. Either in a different room here or in a completely different salon. I don't want us trying to build up careers to interfere with our friendship." then give her a timeframe to move what, if anything, she has out.

you may not be able to physically force her out of the building, but if she doesn't have any of her own things to carry out a service she won't be able to stay anyway. Also the owners could tell her they no longer have the room for her to continue to work from their salon.

Looking at this from another point of view. What was the origonal agreement with her about ending your working relations? She has rights too so make sure you play by the rules.

Theres always a way tho.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

We were both interested in the room but with her having a full time job she didn't want to take the risk of quitting her job and it not working. I didn't want to gazump her so to speak so I suggested sharing it. Silly decision I know :(

Paying for it now though!

Hi,

I know from the date that this thread is almost a year old, but found it very interesting. Just wondered how you sorted it?

IMO partnerships like this rarely work and friendships lost over it. I hope you got it sorted and still managed to remain friends?

Latest posts

Back