Help on my first interview

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alice palace

Reaction score
hi, i have got my first ever interview at a nail salon on wednesday, i have only been a nail tech and practising since march, so i dont even know if i will be good enough to work there. What do emploers expect when employing and nail tech? what will i have to do in the interveiw. Also , in a salon what is an acceptable time to complete a new set and a rebalance?

thanx for all the help, im really nervous as i soooooo want a job doing nails.

If I am interviewing for a nail tech I look for someone who is well presented with nice nails (natural or enhanced - doesnt matter as long as they are done well). Someone friendly, professional, chatty, obviously knows her stuff etc. Take a CV, and maybe a few pics of work you have done would be nice. I narrow down a short list and invite them in for a trade test which involves doing an infil or set of overlays and a polish so I can gauge what the candidates skill level is. I have employed someone before who was perfect for the salon but who needed a little more training to become more skilled and it has worked out very well.

Timings will vary a bit depending on what your employer allows. We book 75mins for an infil and 100mins for a set extensions. This covers simple nail art too. But I would book longer for a junior tech. I prefer to book longer and for the nails to be great, rather than rushing the tech and nails looking poor.

HTH and good luck :hug:

Hi hun,

Stop stressing your self out!!

Employers are going to know and understand that the only way that you can become quicker is by having clients all day so basically your looking for someone that can help you and give you your chance to start in the industry.

Normally its about an hour and a half for a full set in a salon, but if you take longer don't panic, as once you start to build your clients up you will notice that your times will come down.

Have they asked you to take a model with you and products so that they can see your work??

Just be yourself try not to be too nervous, as it will come across that your not confident in your work, even tho you know your work may not yet be upto scratch you have to show confidence so that they see you are keen to get stuck in and learn!!

Good luck i hope this helps you xxx:hug: xxx

thanx guys, that really helped a lot, i am really nervous as i dont want the employer to expect me to b amazing when im not! So , they will take into account that i am a jumior nail tech then? the time thing does worry me as it usually takes me about 2 hours for a full set and nearly as much time with an infil for some reason!

Yeh , i sent my cv to the salon along with some pics of my work and they phoned me for an interview. thay didnt say anything abou t bringing a model. Will i most definiately have to show the employer how i work? WHo will i work on ?

Thanx for the advice about my own nails, ill def need to get mine sorted out as i have really small nails and i took my enhancements off last week so my nails are in bad shapre and i find it hard to keep them nice when im practising.

Also , you mentioned polishing, is it important to apply the polish in a certain way? should i know how to apply french polish in the ccorrect way freehand?

Thanx for all the tips, its really halping a lot.

I just really want a chance to get into the business then im willing to wor k really hard and learn anything i can!

i would want someone who was proficient in application of extensions, tipped and sculpted .
i would ask to see a couple of nails done both ways
then i would want to see french polishing free hand and a red enamel painted on a few nails aswell,
i dont ask for models as we always have someone available to have a few nails applied
i would ask them to bring their own equipment and products , sos they are comfortable with their own stuff
i would also ask to see if they seemed up to date with contraindications and such like
the time thing wouldnt fuss me too much as we all had to start somewhere
id also want to see if they seemed willing to be taught more things or did they seem too cocky and unwilling to learn
hth xx

Thanx Lotus Blossom, at least i know what to expect now, even if it has made me more nervous, i am really willing to learn as much as i can and be taught anything really. one thing tho, i dont know how to sculpt yet, is this a must? Could i teach myself? Also i dont know the correct way to appy a french polish freehand. Help !

Thanx Lotus Blossom, at least i know what to expect now, even if it has made me more nervous, i am really willing to learn as much as i can and be taught anything really. one thing tho, i dont know how to sculpt yet, is this a must? Could i teach myself? Also i dont know the correct way to appy a french polish freehand. Help !

ok hunny dont panic!!
id rather have someone say that they dont know how to sculpt, than try to make out they do!!
also there are many different ways to paint a french, so as long as it looks nice at the end, doesnt matter to me how its acheived!

dont expect too much from yourself,
as i said before me personally id rather have someone who was able to be taught and moulded than one who thought they knew it all
dont worry !!
non of us are monsters!!
we just want an extra pair of hands! lol

H thanx so much , thats made me feel a lot better. Im a bit of a perfectionist really and i think i do expect too mush from myself and a little too quickly. I just really want a job in the industry to get me goin so i can improve and learn. Hope the interwiew goes well, ill try my best , and if thats not good enough, then its experience for next time!

Alice....

I could perhaps help you out, if you have the time! I live in the valleys, not far away from you, so could arrange to give you some time to go over a few things if you'd like that!

If you're interested, I'll Pm you my mobile no.

Sue x

Hey Sue,

Ah that would be great and so nice of you, i really need all the help i can get!

Thanx so much

Alicexx

S'OK, number on its way to you!!

Sue x

am off to bed...

If you tel me first thing, we can arrange to go over whatever you think you need to!

Sue

Latest posts

Back