Help please! My confidence is shattered!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunaberry

Reaction score
Hi please Geeks can you give me any advice or suggestions. I've been having a bit of a nightmare with gel extensions.
I'm very newly qualified so not very confident in gel yet, feeling I need more practise as my applications in the past varied in length of time they lasted.
An elderly neighbour wanted me to do hers for her instead of going to the salon she normally goes to. I said I wasn't confident yet but she insisted I use her to practise on. And so the nightmare began..

1st set (Friday) she phoned me the following day and said 2 came off in bed. I redid them on Sunday along with another that had since came off. Monday night I got a phone call, 3 more off again.

They were breaking at the tip so I had a few theories. I was using soak off gel whereas she had been having file off coloured gel apparently in the salon so I thought maybe I wasn't able to build a strong enough apex with the soak off structure gel. I spoke to one of my tutors on Tues and she agreed that seemed to be the problem.

So I ordered some NSI body builder gel, double checked application on Nail Angels, did one set on my left hand (I'm left handed so thought this would take more of a beating!) to try it out. Saturday I did exactly the same process on all of her nails with the new gel as I did mine (she'd picked off the others). They looked strong, the apex seemed fine and I felt happy with them.

Well she's rang this afternoon. Apparently one came off 3hours later, and 2 more overnight. She had all sorts of theories for me as to whats going wrong eg the nails aren't long enough so they're breaking, because I used polish for colour instead of coloured gel etc!

In the end I've suggested she returns to her salon as I don't feel confident in gel yet and I don't want to risk ruining her nails.

I just feel so awful now. Maybe I'm over emotional right now, but I've been so upset about it today. At 32 I thought I was too old to cry but apparently not! I just don't know what I am doing wrong. My nails are still on and I trapped my hand yesterday and also had them in water to see if that made a difference. Feel guilty for giving up on her nails but I'm not in the best of health right now and thought it was best all round.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be great. Thanks again
:cry::cry:

I can't help you Hun cos I don't do gel, I just wanted to send you a :hug:
and say don't give in. It will come right in the end.

I'm sure someone lovely will come along with some advice. Also what about a 121 with your chosen gel supplier. They might be able to advise you whilst watching you. Xxx

As you're newly qualified I think you did the right thing sending her back to her usual salon. You have lots to learn and lots of things to perfect, but you don't need to practice on someone who will destroy your confidence.

Find yourself a nice guinea pig friend who knows your are newly qualified and will work with you to help you improve. You will have teething trouble, you will discover what happens when your apex is too thin(!), and you will learn what to do to correct things.

Pick yourself up and take confidence from your own nails.

Hth's

Hey, don't get so disheartened and down on yourself. You're still learning and it's only one set of nails! :hug:

How long have yours lasted?

Do you know what products your neighbour had at the previous salon? What sort of condition are her nails in? The fact she picked them off suggests she maybe doesn't take a lot of care of them and is perhaps used to a stronger enhancement.

I agree with Vetty and to find another friend to practise on until your confidence improves. NSI gels are a good product and you probably need to give yourself more time.

Most soak off gels are not strong enough for enhancements. I use NSI & Gelish but wouldn't use Gelish Structure gel for tipping nails, unless they're very short and the client knows to be careful with them.

I can't help you Hun cos I don't do gel, I just wanted to send you a :hug:
and say don't give in. It will come right in the end.

I'm sure someone lovely will come along with some advice. Also what about a 121 with your chosen gel supplier. They might be able to advise you whilst watching you. Xxx

Ah thanks the hug is very much appreciated! :)
Think 121 is a brilliant idea. I've just started level 3 course which hopefully will reinforce training and maybe help a bit more but then I'm definitely planing on investing in 121 or further training with supplier. Hate the idea of not doing things as they should be!
Thanks again xx

As you're newly qualified I think you did the right thing sending her back to her usual salon. You have lots to learn and lots of things to perfect, but you don't need to practice on someone who will destroy your confidence.

Find yourself a nice guinea pig friend who knows your are newly qualified and will work with you to help you improve. You will have teething trouble, you will discover what happens when your apex is too thin(!), and you will learn what to do to correct things.

Pick yourself up and take confidence from your own nails.

Hth's

Ah thank you. That has picked me up a :biggrin:bit

Sweety dont get disheartened. I've already learnt that you shouldn't expect things to go perfectly the first time round.
you need to ask yourself logical questions rather thank bashing yourself when all it could be is just the simplest of things.
first ask if she has had gels before, as some people just don't adhere to gels, whereas others don't reply well to acrylics. there are a lot of theories out there where some people just don't have the right chemistry for certain systems - some people have naturally more oily skin, others are just too sensitive. also of the factors that can affect systems is age and health, if your friend has been ill over winter, she could have developed vitamin or mineral deficiencies which could affect the nail flexibility or created ridges in the nails. People can change in their tolerance to certain systems. of course I don't know your friend as much as you do, and could be just suggesting things irrelevant to your cause.

the other thing is to look at your process. could you possibly explain to me the way you prep your nails? it could just be a case to include acid primer (some students don't learn to use it) or create a larger apex if she is heavy handed or has longer nails.

I hope this has helped and not contradicted anything anyone has said.

Hey, don't get so disheartened and down on yourself. You're still learning and it's only one set of nails! :hug:

How long have yours lasted?

Do you know what products your neighbour had at the previous salon? What sort of condition are her nails in? The fact she picked them off suggests she maybe doesn't take a lot of care of them and is perhaps used to a stronger enhancement.

I agree with Vetty and to find another friend to practise on until your confidence improves. NSI gels are a good product and you probably need to give yourself more time.

Most soak off gels are not strong enough for enhancements. I use NSI & Gelish but wouldn't use Gelish Structure gel for tipping nails, unless they're very short and the client knows to be careful with them.

Thanks for replying and for reassurance :)
My nails have been on since Friday morning so its early days but I'm keeping them on to see. Fingers crossed!
Don't know what products she used but it was coloured and lady said she filed it off when they broke. You may have a point about the picking as she did complain that it used to cost her nearly £15 sometimes for breaks when she went.
You're also so right about the Structure gel. That was what I first used so I clearly shouldn't have used that with tips. I'll just have to keep working on my application of the NSI builder. Could the way I applied the tips have made a difference too?

Sweety dont get disheartened. I've already learnt that you shouldn't expect things to go perfectly the first time round.
you need to ask yourself logical questions rather thank bashing yourself when all it could be is just the simplest of things.
first ask if she has had gels before, as some people just don't adhere to gels, whereas others don't reply well to acrylics. there are a lot of theories out there where some people just don't have the right chemistry for certain systems - some people have naturally more oily skin, others are just too sensitive. also of the factors that can affect systems is age and health, if your friend has been ill over winter, she could have developed vitamin or mineral deficiencies which could affect the nail flexibility or created ridges in the nails. People can change in their tolerance to certain systems. of course I don't know your friend as much as you do, and could be just suggesting things irrelevant to your cause.

the other thing is to look at your process. could you possibly explain to me the way you prep your nails? it could just be a case to include acid primer (some students don't learn to use it) or create a larger apex if she is heavy handed or has longer nails.

I hope this has helped and not contradicted anything anyone has said.

Thanks I appreciate any help and advice. I just want to get it right (eventually!) ;)
It was definitely gel she had as she described putting it in under lamp. Apparently she had some clear layers and some colour layers and they all went under the lamp?! Age could be an issue as she is 86. Also her medication has been changed this month so could that make a difference?
I'll try not to be too longwinded with my description of prep and application but please tell me if I've done something wrong!

Nail prep - Filed nails down. dry prep, using cuticle pusher over entire nail. Pushed back and trimmed cuticles at eponychium. Buffed entire nail lightly, removed dust with plush brush and sanitised. Applied elation tips (glue in well area and slid back to groove then pressed on. I did struggle with a couple when she moved just as I was about to press them, they didn't seem to stick well.) I then filed the tips and etched them, removed dust and sanitised again.

Applied thin coat of nsi bonder, followed by 1 thin coat gel then cured that for 2mins. Then applied thicker coat trying to make sure thicker at apex.Rubbed orange stick around cuticles in case flooded any. Cured this 2mins then removed tacky layer. I then filed this to check the shape. Removed dust and applied layer of clear finish and cured. Removed tacky layer then polished.

Thanks again for help xx

hey love,
I just need to ask what nsi bonder is. Is it a dehydrator or an acid primer?
I hope im not just preaching to the converted with this coming comments but
If you're just using a dehydrator, then i suggest in investing in a simple acid primer, which opens up the nail bed 'pores' (excuse my weird explanation) and puts 'spears' into the nail which adds to adhesion.
if you're only using acid primer and not dehydrator then this is probably where the problem is. there's still natural oils on the nail, no matter how much buffing you do, if the nail hasn't been cleaned entirely and there's still moisture. which reduces the adhesion massively.

saying that if you say that your friend has recently changed meds it could be a mitigating factor
x

Nothing from your prep screams out at me.

Medication changes is always a possibility.

It sounds like she had several layers of gel if they also used coloured gel rather than polish. I sense she's used to them being much thicker and consequently stronger. Older people often have thin and brittle nails and so she probably needs the added strength.

Not sure that you need to sanitise twice but may not be a problem.

I wonder whether you're filing them down too much over the apex before adding the final layer of gel? I used to do this in training as I worried that they looked too bulky.

Also, as a comparison, did you put tips on your fingers or just gel?

Just stick with the programme and you'll get there..:Love:

If they are just popping off in bed then I would say its not your application but your prep. Ensure the nail plate is perfect and the shine is removed completely especially around the edges. It's difficult being new and doing customers who have been having their nails done for along time it puts alot of pressure on!!

If they are just popping off in bed then I would say its not your application but your prep. Ensure the nail plate is perfect and the shine is removed completely especially around the edges. It's difficult being new and doing customers who have been having their nails done for along time it puts alot of pressure on!!

I so agree about the shine round the edges!! I got so scared about damaging the natural nail that I ended up not taking the shine off hence got loads of lifting. Now I'm doing it properly no lifting at all xx

I am in the same boat hun!! I've recently qualified and have had loads of problems, my most recent been a set of French tips with gel. I did these on Thursday and by yesterday 6 had come off! I think it may be down to the gel partly but I can't help but feel disheartened. Any tips would be appreciated!!

Ah thanks the hug is very much appreciated! :)
Think 121 is a brilliant idea. I've just started level 3 course which hopefully will reinforce training and maybe help a bit more but then I'm definitely planing on investing in 121 or further training with supplier. Hate the idea of not doing things as they should be!
Thanks again xx

You are most welcome. Honestly don't worry I've been doing nails for 18 months now and still get issues. Keep going it will all come right in the end. Definitely do your level three then 121 if you can afford it. Xxxxx

Hey don't give up!
The best advice I can give you is
1 - prep meticulously! ensure no tissue on nail plate
2- if in doubt use a dehydrater - to ensure no oil on nail plate

For any newbie its all about practice, you need some willing understanding guinea pigs that will give you unbiased feed back - even put an advert out asking for models...
I have never used NSI so can't comment as I'm CND trained, years ago used OPI but NSI have good products, don't be disheartened, try to get as many models as possible with a variety of lifestyles!:pbest of luckx

Hi,
Don't be disheartened and don't panic. We all had to start somewhere and probably all have similar stories to tell. If the lady was paying £15 in repairs at the old salon I imagine that you haven't really done anything wrong. She sounds heavy handed and is possibly taking advantage of the fact that you are no doubt repairing them for free. There are some clients out there who simply don't tell the whole truth about how their enhancements have somehow found their way from being attached to unattached. Seriously, nails don't just "fall off." The lady probably fiddled and fiddled to see if they were any different to the other salon and before you know it she's got her nail or her teeth under the gel and off it comes. If she was so pleased with the other salon's work then she wouldn't let someone practice on her.
I remember a couple of years back, I've been working on nails for 16 yrs and other than some constructive criticism in the early days I haven't had any complaints... One day, I completed a set of l&p enhancements on a 17yr old girl. I carried out exactly the same procedure that I do with all my clients, (generally 8 per day). They were short and practical etc. She phone the next day to say "my nails have fallen off." I asked her to talk me through what had happened and what she had been doing "prior to breaking them." the girl replied that she was sitting on the sofa watching tv, she looked down at them and then looked away and when she looked back "all ten nails had fallen off and were on the floor... Can you do them again for free please? Oh and my friend would also like hers doing!"
The moral of the story?
Some people will say anything for a freebie, you should breathe a sigh of relief that she has gone elsewhere and keep practising on your friends and yourself. If you can do a strong, long-lasting set on your own nails then you really will be ok!
Chin up chick xxxxx

"all ten had fallen off and were on the floor!"

Lol nearly peed my pants when I read this. If I had a pound for everyone who said this to me I could retire now.

Sometimes in dire need you gotta laugh. Then start again xxxx

Absolutely K. Needless to say said "client" received short shrift from me. My on the spot decision was that I really don't need clients like that so therefore my answer to her question was NO!

I am in the same boat hun!! I've recently qualified and have had loads of problems, my most recent been a set of French tips with gel. I did these on Thursday and by yesterday 6 had come off! I think it may be down to the gel partly but I can't help but feel disheartened. Any tips would be appreciated!!

Kind of reassuring to know I'm not the only one! Hopefully we will both get there in the end!! :hug:

Latest posts

Back