Help please, overlay peeled off, apparently!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kankan

Reaction score
hi im a newbie and did a ladys nails on saturday, she had 2 month old acrylic on 7 which i suspected was mma as impossible to get off, i filed down as best i could, replaced broken 3 with tips and did a french gel over lay . i know not ideal on top of acrylic but only thing i could do. i asked for pics and she sent me these!
she says they just came off, apparently she looked down and they were gone apart from one that she caught, shes my first proper paying client and have no idea how to deal with it as i cant see how just the white tip on a french overlay can just peel off when the rest has stayed on?! is she a chancer??? please help! apparently her old tech would do her nails with no notice and i know shes not careful etc with them as admitted to chewing sides and pulling them off.

Attachments

• P_20140205_191817.jpg
    P_20140205_191817.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 370
  • P_20140205_191901.jpg
    P_20140205_191901.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 362
  • P_20140205_192201.jpg
    P_20140205_192201.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 340
  • P_20140205_192311.jpg
    P_20140205_192311.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
I'm not trained in hard gel, can hard gel be applied over acrylic?

When you put gel over a top the tip needs buffing first or the gel won't stick. Not sure if this is the problem but it looks like it maybe?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

these werent the tips, these were the overlays, tips are fine apparently. she only had 3 tips on the broken ones the rest were overlays over the buffed down acrylic.:sad:

What gel are you using? Did you cure the tips for long enough before moving onto the rest of the nail?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Also for next time it would probably be easier to soak of the acrylic and start fresh :)

Yep cured a base coat, tips, then builder then glaze n go, curing recommended times, using nsi. Had no other problems with it.
When I booked her in I said I could soak then but as I didn't know what it was I would charge time for soaking as it could take ages, she pretty much said no and I said I could buff them down (now wish I hadn't!!) took 2 hrs to get a reson able ish thickness, they were really thick and hard. Wasn't massively happy with how thick I'd left them but it was very tough going!

Ive got a couple of tips, but ive got to get ready now for work i will post again in a couple of hours to try to help you out, my salon is a gel only salon i dont do any acrylic at all, so ill just tell you what i do and hopefully that will help :)

Ive got a couple of tips, but ive got to get ready now for work i will post again in a couple of hours to try to help you out, my salon is a gel only salon i dont do any acrylic at all, so ill just tell you what i do and hopefully that will help :)

Thankyou, any advice will be appreciated! I love nails when they're straight forward but I have a bad feeling bout this client and this has made it worse, no idea how to handle it!!

Hard gel can be applied over acrylic
If it chips like this it's weakness in your structure like being too thin. Try and concentrate on creating a good c cure on the nail.

After lookin closer I'm thinking acrylic might have peeled off too! Would this be my fault??! You could be right in the too thin though as I was aware of the acrylic being so thick I didn't want to make them to bulky.

Also concentrate on your prep as well.
I would go back and repair.

I can't wear any sort of gel because my nail is too weak, this is due to chronic thyroid disease.......did you ask any medical questions ....did you think her nail was very weak....also I think if acrylic has not been applied well and kindly to the nail that can have an effect as well . The majority of products that are used for nails these days are extremely good and if your sure your application was as it should be I think the clients nail is to blame....however in my salon I would always give the client another chance and redo her nails explaining that if it doesn't work this time then she is not suited to gel
Hope this helps
Michele x

This does not look like peeling to me . Looks more like chips and I note that it is on opposite corners of the thumbs . It may well be that when she put her hands in the lamp that she had her thumbs pointing downwards so the light could not give a full cure

Looking at those pictures I would said that she has given the finger 'help to come off and I would suggest that the thumbs did not fully cure leading to a weakness or possibly you could have applied the white too thick which would also lead to undercure

Hi again :)

Prep as you know is the most im0ortant step, which is why personally i would have soaked off the old acrylic, because you dont know how the other tech has preped them, if she has missed any steps the acrylic will lift taking your enhancements with them, also what grit was the file you used to buff them down first? I always use a 120 grit file on any existing acrylic to make sure the surface is adequately 'roughed' up other wise it will not adhere properly. Also some techs dont cure the tips for the full recommended cure time (im not saying that you didnt though ;) ) before moving onto the rest of the nail.

Last edited:
Thankyou all for your advice, lots of good pointers!! Think it's part of my fault and partly her not looking after them, have emailed her so fingers crossed it'll all be ok 😊

Latest posts

Back