Help please, tips chipping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becsxx

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I trained a year ago then had my baby and only picked up my brush for the first time the other day, I bought a whole new kit and am using CND acrylics I used the retention+ with performance tips and sheer pink powder, as you can see from the photos the whole tip and acrylic has chipped/broken.

Can you help me with what I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1330303505.214673.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1330303505.214673.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 120
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1330303528.629916.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1330303528.629916.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Hi ladies,

I trained a year ago then had my baby and only picked up my brush for the first time the other day, I bought a whole new kit and am using CND acrylics I used the retention+ with performance tips and sheer pink powder, as you can see from the photos the whole tip and acrylic has chipped/broken.

Can you help me with what I am doing wrong?

Hi :)
Could be a number of things this. Could be your mix ratio is not right, also not enough product covering the tip or stress point area. Odds on it's your mix ratio which has caused the tip and acrylic to break off. How long after you did the nails did this happen?

Hi :)
Could be a number of things this. Could be your mix ratio is not right, also not enough product covering the tip or stress point area. Odds on it's your mix ratio which has caused the tip and acrylic to break off. How long after you did the nails did this happen?

I did them at 12am on Saturday the first one broke Sunday evening and the second today (monday) lunch time so both just within 48hours.

So could it be that they were not fully set? :irked:
I do know I need to play with my mix ratio, CND is a lot different to the other product I used.
I know there are some you tube vid's on mix ratio, I will hunt them down and have a watch before she arrives tonight to have me fix them.

They look like there is not enough product on the nail to give good strength.
Work at building up that apex and pushing the product onto the nail for good adhesion plus making sure that overall, there is enough product in each zone.
Maybe even shorten them a bit too if the client is not a person who wears enhancements often.

Did you somehow get some cracks in the tips when clipping them, then you maybe didn't add enough product, so the only strength those nails have, could have been just the plastic tip pretty much, so they will crack very easily.

You will get there, just keep working on your technique and applying enough product.
I know it's a PITA to file away if you have a little bit too much but it's better than not having enough and having to re-do an entire set that has cracked or fallen off.

Yes I'm pretty sure acrylic can take up to approx 48 hours to fully set but usually with in hours it's strong enough to with stand most knocks etc.

Ok I'll try get a photo myself of the thickness and post it up, would be great to find out if I'm not applying enough product!

Thanks heaps for the advice!!

I think it looks like you applied a white tip because its broke off only along the white tip area (like a clean break/snap) this seems to be more inclined to happen with these, when you sculpt in your own white tip yourself it makes them stronger, i dont know if its because white tips are thicker and so they get a thinner application only at the tips and its going to snap at the point where it starts to get thinner

Latest posts

Back