Help please!Trade test

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachy86

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I went for a job interview today and they would like me to do a trade test with them on Saturday so they can see what my level of work is like.
I am about 6 weeks from gaining my level 2 hairdressing and managed to grab this opportunity at working at this top salon through a friend who knows the owners.
They know my position and my experience but they have asked me to do a gents cut (fine) and a pob (not fine!)
I have only ever done a pob/graduated bob once under supervision...I am horrified and so nervous,I have been watching numerous videos on you tube but they all seem to go about it so differently.
If anyone could give me some insight as to how you do yours I would be sooo grateful ..
Thank you very much in advance..
A nervous Rachel x

And breathe!
Firstly speak to your college tutor, they should be able to go through a pob with you before Saturday.
Secondly, a trade test is to show them your level of competancy. They will not expect perfection from somebody just trained. What they will be looking for is your level of understanding of your subject.
Thirdly, get the sides bang on level. That is the bit thats important.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on x

just explain this to them. If they know the level your at they should understand, and will most likely give you points for your honesty. Ask if you can take another model/arrange for a different model instead, something your more confident at. I found the graduated bob to be one of the hardest cuts, and although this is probably the reason theyve requested this they should understand how you feel at your level. Id say your better to be honest than go there and mess the cut up (just cos your not confident in it) x x

Last edited:
Donna, being honest ain't gonna get her a job, nor is bottling out of the most popular cut around.
She will not "mess" the cut up. she may be slow or unsure, but today is Tuesday, loads of time till Saturday. She HAS to master this cut to be able to work in a salon.

Crack on and learn it Rachel x

i struggled with the graduated bob in level 2 different tutors showed me different ways..but this link and more in depth than youtube gives you the sectioning and angles...depending on the length of the graduated bob you can figure out from this really good technique
Wella Professionals - Training Online - - Basic Techniques - Cutting Techniques - Graduate Bob

buy yourself a head block from your nearest wholesalers...and just practice....if you practice it will click i promise...just take your time, take very neat sections and be precise....and dont panic

p.s if your at college get yourself in the library and pick up toni and guy classic cuts book it is a great step by step book...check if they have the dvd too

it is so hard to explain graduate bob by writing it,,, keep watching youtube and practice as much as you can,,
i wouldn't worry too much if your not even qualified yet i doubt they expect miracles,
it is definatly the hardest cut. But i'm sure you can do it, ask your tutor to go through it again and ask as manyquestions as you like while she is showing you, thats what they are there for
best of luck x

i agree, Yes she has to learn the cut, BUT she shouldnt be scared off by doing something shes not confident in under such pressure. Good luck rachy, my 1st post was aimed at you, not the other person, and it was meant nicely when i said 'mess' it up, just dont go to your interview feeling nervous x

Donna, being honest ain't gonna get her a job, nor is bottling out of the most popular cut around.
She will not "mess" the cut up. she may be slow or unsure, but today is Tuesday, loads of time till Saturday. She HAS to master this cut to be able to work in a salon.

Crack on and learn it Rachel x

Thank you persianista,I do agree,very popular and will have to master it sooner or later so why not start now! I have been on it all day and now all three head blocks in the salon have graduated bobs! I am practising lots so fingers crossed I will have got it perfect by Saturday.
Thank you everyone for your advice I really appreciate it :)
Rachel xx

Well done! Go fo it, and best of luck Saturday x

**********UPDATE***********

Well I had my trade test today instead of the Saturday just gone, as was first planned, as the owners couldn't make Saturday in the end...I was so nervous! I GOT THE JOB!! I am grinning like a cheshire cat I am so excited its unbelievable I nearly cried when he told me he would like to take me under his wing and train me to his level. I am so happy to have this opportunity :)
Rach xxx

Last edited:
congrats.
well done hunny xxxxxxxxxxx

Congratulations. Big pat on the back x

**********UPDATE***********

Well I had my trade test today instead of the Saturday just gone, as was first planned, as the owners couldn't make Saturday in the end...I was so nervous! I GOT THE JOB!! I am grinning like a cheshire cat I am so excited its unbelievable I nearly cried when he told me he would like to take me under his wing and train me to his level. I am so happy to have this opportunity :)
Rach xxx

Ah well done you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well done you!!:D

well done toots xx

That's great news .... you did very well .... well done :) x minky

Latest posts

Back