Help, please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Softsofa

Reaction score
I went to enrol at college for level 2 hairdressing and I was told I had to do my level 1 first. Thing is I've already worked in a salon for over in the past, full time as a junior. There is no way I could afford to do the level 1 it's £300 more expensive than the level 2 and I've already done all the requirements for that. I can blow-dry, set, French rolll and apply full head tint! Ive been told to enrol on the barbering course which I have and I'm happy to do that but I really would prefer to start on women's hair as I'm more confident with this. The course tutor has kindly said she would ask her line manager if I could do a trade test and let me go onto the level 2. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? Totally gutted it's just a waiting game now I guess!

Do you have a certificate to say you've done level 1? If not I'm sorry but I can't see how they can let you do level 2 without it. When i trained level 1 wasn't separate it was just included in level 2.

£300 might seem alot but in the long run its worth it. If you've not got the certificate saying your qualified in all hair services no matter how basic then any insurance you get won't be valid.

On the plus side if you can already do all the things required it won't take you long to pass it, especially if you take your own model in.

I havn't got the certificate :( when I was initially doing my level 2 you didn't need to do level 1 so there wasn't a certificate. I won't be able to go to college next year - I can only restart college in 2016. Family commitments etc. I'm still going to do barbering if I can't do the level 2 hairdressing. I'm just praying her line manager let's me do the trade test! Im made up she is asking for me. I'll find out on Monday. I'm just one of those people who likes lots of opinions :D

Sorry I'm being a bit dim, what's the bit about 2016?

If you're planning to start college in 2016, I'd wait and panic about which course you'd get onto then ,not 4 years before! Entry requirements and indeed entire qualifications may have changed by then!! :D

I think most colleges do have some discretion if they can let you on to a course without the certificates. As long as you pass their trade test.

Sorry for being a bit dim, but your comment about not starting until 2016 but enrolling now has confused the bejesus out of me.

Sorry I'm being a bit dim, what's the bit about 2016?

If you're planning to start college in 2016, I'd wait and panic about which course you'd get onto then ,not 4 years before! Entry requirements and indeed entire qualifications may have changed by then!! :D

I think most colleges do have some discretion if they can let you on to a course without the certificates. As long as you pass their trade test.

Sorry for being a bit dim, but your comment about not starting until 2016 but enrolling now has confused the bejesus out of me.

Think she meant its either get it done now while she can because if not she won't be able to start college until 2016 because of family reasons?! Lol that's what I think she meant anyway x

Think she meant its either get it done now while she can because if not she won't be able to start college until 2016 because of family reasons?! Lol that's what I think she meant anyway x

Ahhh I see. Sorry I have my blonde head on today :/

Sorry! Yes I did mean I can only start this September but after this year I'll have to wait untill 2016. I'm not writing well today, put it down to baby brain! Xxx

Both colleges I went to demanded level 1 to be done, no exceptions, I was cutting and doing full head tints/foils and colour corrections before starting and had to still do level 1 xoxo

Looks like I'll have to wait a little while then :( at least I'll be able to do the barbering course :) xxx

Could you not look into fast track level 1 courses seeing as you have done the requirements? Xoxo

I'm not sure where I would be able to that. I'm in Liverpool I think I will have a look for that tho. Do you know how long they last for? Xx

I think it's something like 30 something weeks one night or day a week xoxo

I've just been looking at that as we speak! :) thank you I'm going to have a nose round google and see what I can find! Thank you. Feeling a little more hopeful. Xxx

I think colleges offer different courses depending on their location and also your age and experience, so it's probably worth spending some time researching the options. Although they tend to fill their places pretty quickly over the summer.

Around this area, there are several colleges offering a one year fast track level 2 hairdressing part-time. (City of Bristol & Filton College are just two examples). No need to have completed level 1 first but for the fast track, I think you have to be over 21 and have a reasonable standard of education (English & Maths grade C etc.)

I would have thought that there would be several colleges offering numerous hairdressing courses around Liverpool?

There is plenty of courses but this is the only one I can find that is run in the evening. I thought that it wasn't a requirement to complete your level one as well! I'm definitely a mature student with over a years experience. I really am just praying they let me do the trade test and let me on the course! I'm so excited for Monday to speak to the tutor! :) xxx

Not to sound horrible to you, but i don't think age should have any stand in it, level 1 is useful and I do believe it should be compulsory. Like I said I had done much more than the requirement for level one but had to do it and the background they go into is well worth the year. Xoxo

Have you tried training plus?xx

Oh no I agree, I think it would be beneficial to do level 1. It's just in my current circumstances it's not right for me, especially if it's not compulsory. But I totally understand colleges have rules and know what is best. So if I can't do it just now I'll go back in a few years but in the mean time do the barbering course and wet shave course. :)

There is a training plus but it's for apprenticeships which I can't do right now :(

I think it often depends who you speak to... I got on a level 2 last year with no experience, but have got quite a good general education behind me, but other people who had done level one on the level 2 with me were told they had to, and weren't too happy that I hadn't... I think it depends on the college and also if the are willing to bend the rules or not... Perhaps try speaking to them as explaining your situation to the college tutor instead of enrolment..???

Latest posts

Back