Help!....problem soaking off acrylic.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissy G

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have a small problem this morning. Last night, myself and a friend who is on my Advanced nail techniques course decided to have a practice on each other's nails. No problem there, however i was using the star nails stuff on her nails that we have in our college kit, but my friend uses another make.....not really sure what it is. I came to soak them off last night......it was late and i really couldn't be bothered but i came across a strange thing. Whilst dunking the offending nails in the acetone, and gently pushing the acrylic off with an orange stick, I noticed that the acrylic my friend had used turned to a springy glue like jelly stuff. It doesn't behave like mine at all. With mine you can just scrape it off no problems at all. This stuff will just not bloody shift! It just springs back on to the nail. So geeks, am i sat at work with about three nails that look horrendous. Does anyone know what the problem is, and how I can get this awful stuff off my nails????:cry:
I have had plenty of enhancements on and off my nails over the years, but I have never encountered this before. What is it and how do I get rid of it?
Please help if you can, or I will be doomed to wear gloves for the next six months!

In my experience, acrylics, tips etc always turn into a springy glue before they are ready to come off, I just keep soaking until it's all broken down and then I just wipe the last remainders away, I've never scraped mine off.
How long did you soak for?
I usually buff with a 180 grit to break up the surface, wrap the nail in half a cotton pad soaked in acetone, then wrap the finger ends in foil or put on a pair of latex gloves, to hold the cotton wool in place, leave for 20 mins or so, then bob's ur uncle, most of it comes clean of the and any little bits left over come off with a few swipes of some acetone soaked cotton wool.
Try and find out what brand she's used, maybe someone on here will use and it and know more?
HTH a bit
Lol x

Hiya Bimbogeri,

I sat there last night with my fingers in a manicure bowl with some acetone in and that bowl, in turn, was in a bigger bowl of warm water to help things along.
I must have left them in for 20mins, usually with the l&p I use this is sufficeint and they come away beautifully, however not with this stuff. I know what you mean about the acrylic going springy but this is really springy, not like soaking off star nails at all. You know the stuff they use to stick free gifts on magazines, and the glue on the back of them is dead springy?:confused: Well, it's like that. Not like anything i've ever come across.
Thanks for your advice and I will try this later, although i'm not too hopeful, my enhancements have always come off no probs in the past.

Hi Krissy,

I know what you are talking about ;) I have done a few soak offs from NSS in my area and what you are describing sounds just like their stuff. You soak it in acetone and the stuff turns to a tough jelly. I have tried going over the surface with an abrasive but since their product is sooo hard it barely touches it. All I have found that works is to persevere, just leave them in the acetone untill it finally budges. Sorry i am not of more help, but I didn't want you to feel like you are alone,

Sarah

Sarwaa said:
Hi Krissy,

I know what you are talking about ;) I have done a few soak offs from NSS in my area and what you are describing sounds just like their stuff. You soak it in acetone and the stuff turns to a tough jelly. I have tried going over the surface with an abrasive but since their product is sooo hard it barely touches it. All I have found that works is to persevere, just leave them in the acetone untill it finally budges. Sorry i am not of more help, but I didn't want you to feel like you are alone,

Sarah
Thanks sweetie, good to know I'm not the only one that has experienced this!
That's what I will have to do then.....just persevere!

Sounds to me like Sarah is right and it's MMA :evil:

When you buff the overlay (not a soaked one!) does it smell awful? If it's taking this long to soak off it very likely is.

Get your friend to read all the info on here regarding MMA. GMG has written some great stuff.

marian

Latest posts

Back