Help!...redundancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemiss1t

Reaction score
Hello All,

I work part time doing beauty (I rent a room in a hairdresser's) and I work 9 - 5pm Monday - Friday doing office work - To help financially and also to keep me busy when it is quiet.

Have been told this morning, redundancy is on the line, and at least 2 people will need to go. :cry: I am in this equasion along with a couple of others.

I have offered to cut my hours and I could use this at the salon, but it is quiet on a good day - AWFUL on a bad day.

Is anyone else in / been in this situation, and any words of advice on what to do?

Am just in the stages of applying for my mortgage as well, which my employer knows about :cry:. I looked like it was only falling into place, now it feels like it falling apart.

Carly x

i dont think theres alot to say apart from keep ur chin up at the moment,you dont know if you are going to get paid off or not. i got got paid off a few weeks ago,working full time and had nothing else, but im in the middle of setting my own bis now up going mobile. yes it was hard to take in at 1st but what can we do ? not alot.hope it goes well.

lauren.xxx

Get a back up plan in action. can you work from home or be mobile? do you have funds to support these moves? can you rent the room........ 3 days in an office 3 days in salon is gr8! there are so many things you can do so chin up and stay positive

Well, I will be able to let you all know, as I will know by the end of the day :irked:

Carly x

Well, I will be working a 3 day a week, minimum, which I suppose means I can concentrate on the business and offer a full day in the week, as I am only doing Thursday night & all day Saturday.

Just means A LOT of advertising this, as it will be new, but it needs doing anyway.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know

Carly x

just advertise evetywhere,business cards, flyers, free ads.good luck

lauren.xx

I suppose I can put an advert in the local paper saying that now I will be there more, and specify my days - Which I am still unsure about.

Am going in this evening as it has got busy all of a sudden, well, better than normal, and I have had a lot of bookings lately, so fingers crossed, if we can all ride through January, then the coming months can only be better?

Anyone like me - decided to take on more days through whatever reason, how did you approach this and promote? There must be a lot of us on here that, like me, did a full time job AND beauty part time, or somethign similar. How did you all do this, and what did you have to consider? - Need some inspiration

Carly x

Carly

Hi Carly, I'm like you, I work full time in an office/as a beauty trainer, and evenings and weekends I run my own mobile beauty business. It is really hard work, but it's definitely worth it.

I decided in the summer of last year to make more of an effort with my mobile work. Up until then I was just seeing friends, friends of friends, friends of work colleagues etc, and it really wasn't amounting to much in the way of money or hours. So I put a few ads on Gumtree, and asked my partner to design me a website which could be picked up on all the webcrawlers/search engines. I improved the products I used, and and made up new pricelists.....and it worked!!!

I'm not busy all the time, and it's certainly not worth me giving up the day job just yet, but it's getting there. For example, until yesterday, I had nothing booked in at all for any evening next week...now I only have Tuesday night off!

I say get a well designed website, and adverties on all the free sites you can find as a starting point. And ALWAYS try to be available to speak to if someone calls you to chat about an appointment, even if it means taking a sneaky call at your office job! Clients will appreciate it :)

Let me know how it goes, PM me if you want to chat more, I'm only down the road from you :hug:

The exact same thing has happened to me. i worked part time and unfortunately it was between me and the full time manageress who was to go. Obviously it was me that was going so whilst my employers went through the whole redundancy palava of giving notice etc, it gave me opportunity to get my bum into gear with sorting out my mobile work. Id always intended to go mobile eventually but i see this as a blessing in disguise - it gave me a kick up the backside to really get motivated for the sake of my house etc.
Since then i have been in touch with women in business and train 2000 and am well on the way to setting up on my own.
Id say look at the positives - yes its bad news and its a total shock, but use it to your advantage - i decided to use the 2 weeks notice to my benefit by sorting out my own mobile business.
Hope you get yourself sorted chuck...xXx

Latest posts

Back