Help! Taking make-up pics?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam1206

Reaction score
Can someone give me some tips. I just can't seem to get good pictures, they don't look anything like they do in real life. On me or models! I experiment loads on myself but then can never get a decent picture. I've tried daylight, day light bulbs, my camera phone, my digital camera. With and without flash. I'm tearing my hair out!! It's worse on clients/models as I don't want to embarrass them by taking a million pics. Any help is appreciated x

Last edited:
Need to know this too!

As far as I know the Samsung s4 camera has a 'beauty mode' for taking pics like make up & nails which I'm soo jealous of!

Tough one! I have been doing makeup for 3 years and I only use the professional pictures. (From brides and weddings).

You need great natural light and no flash. I would suggest capturing eyes, open and looking down. But in natural light. So maybe outside?

Lisa 😃

There is no shortcut really to get the best.
1. Hire a photographer.
2. Buy a DSLR camera for a few hundred quid.

There is no shortcut really to get the best.
1. Hire a photographer.
2. Buy a DSLR camera for a few hundred quid.

Good advice.

I have a very good DSLR camera and I get good photos with it but no where near as good as a professional photo. But that's because I'm not a photographer (despite lessons - it's just not my thing!)

Having worked on many photoshoots I know that on top of being gifted with a camera they use a tonne of lights, even outside on a sunny day (because the sun often points in the wrong direction etc)

A DSLR will get you good photos but if you really want pro photos then offer to do a lot of testing. You may be dictated about the look you are to create but if you work with the same photographer for long enough and they like what you do they may give you creative licence to do what you want. Just make sure you credit them when you use the images.

It's not pro photos I'm looking, just pictures of my clients, like a before and after, or even just of my own makeup to post on Facebook to give people ideas of what I can do xx

It's not pro photos I'm looking, just pictures of my clients, like a before and after, or even just of my own makeup to post on Facebook to give people ideas of what I can do xx

But to get the photos to look nice a decent camera is a must. Sets you out from the rest.

I get what you mean sam. I struggle to get good makeup pics and I appreciate they wont be pro but its just they seem to look weird
Theres a blog post by karla powell about taking pics of your work which is good. I have found that not all wedding togs are co operative! Dont take pics with the model looking straight at the camera, or side on but kind of diaganol. So if you're south, have her looking south west if that makes sense.

Also make sure your light source isnt behind her and that its natural light where possible.

I know what you mean, you dont want to be getting pro pics but just a half decent recording of what you've done.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back