Help! TOtally new

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberley

Reaction score
Hey, im totatlly new to this site, i did use the gina wallace forums but i thought this one was alot more freindly. Anyway im 17 and ive decided for almost a year now what i want to do with my life. I really want to be a nail technician and have my own salon. But im finding it really expensive to train, i got the brochure for the gina wallace nail course and it was about £400 a course. I really cant afford this......is there any other way? Please help girls :( thanks kimberley :)

Kimberley said:
Hey, im totatlly new to this site, i did use the gina wallace forums but i thought this one was alot more freindly. Anyway im 17 and ive decided for almost a year now what i want to do with my life. I really want to be a nail technician and have my own salon. But im finding it really expensive to train, i got the brochure for the gina wallace nail course and it was about £400 a course. I really cant afford this......is there any other way? Please help girls :( thanks kimberley :)
hi kimberley - welcome to the site. i havent been here long either. instead of going to one of those expensive courses - why not go to your local college. they offer practically the same (NVQ) and its alot cheaper. thats what i did 5 years ago.

glynis

i have found out about that, but the course starts in september :rolleyes:

Have you thought about working for a salon. They may subsidise or even pay for your training. You will obviously have to work in return for this but if it gets you where you want to be?

Hi there! I am new to this business to so can understand where you are coming from. I too have a limited budget (I am 24 year old and own my own home so money is very limited!). I have looked at so many courses but they all seem so expensive - plus my local college doesn't offer the nail courses.

After lots of research, I decided to complete a two day manicure course for about £200.00. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it left me itching for more. However, I have had to learn to be patient and try and save for my next course.

I am unable to get a full time job in a salon as I currently have a full time job as an event manager. However, so far I have a handful of clients who I do manicures for in my spare time. I am also considering getting a Saturday job in a salon (hint hint - if there is anyone out there in the Reading area!) so that I can gain salon experience. I just don't know if that is possible with only manicures under my belt!?!

I envy you - I wish that I had realised when I was 17 that this was what I wanted to do - I could have completed all of my training back then and be well on my way within the industry! However, I have spent many years doing other things and being to scared to actually admit that I wanted to do something totally different. It is very frustrating that money can sometimes hold you back from fulfilling your dream, but you have to learn to be patient and if you want it that bad, you can fulfil your dream.

Patience is a virtue afterall!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
Carole

P.S. Sorry this reply was so long - once I started I couldn't stop!! :lol:

OK! Thankyou for all your help. I found out there was a course at my college so i emailed them. Im trying to get my mum to pay for my acrylic course by gina wallace its £320 i think. Is it any good?
Thanks Again
Kimberely :)

Hi Kimmy

Well is the site as good as l said it would be? The homelearn courses are good, indepth and very educational - but alot of money is needed up front. Why not look into your college course see what it entails - everything from manicure and across the board? do they offer the NVQ,IHBC qualification? An ideal training help is a 'nail trainer' you get them with the homelearn kit but you can also pick them up on this site in the forum 'wanted'. When you have a basic knowledge of what you are doing you can practice to your hearts content until you are proficient and confident to work on clients - lt's kinda spooky when you do your first client. My Advise to you while you are deciding is read up on as much info as possible 'knowledge is a powerful thing' and one book that is a bible to us techs is the product chemistry by Doug Schoon.

Good luck darling
Take care
Theresa

Thankyou, my college emailed me back with an application form so hopefully that will be a step forward. It costs £150 for all your supplies but thats a maincure and pedicure course and acrylic :)

Kimberley said:
OK! Thankyou for all your help. I found out there was a course at my college so i emailed them. Im trying to get my mum to pay for my acrylic course by gina wallace its £320 i think. Is it any good?
Thanks Again

Crickey that seems a lot without a actual tutor to see your work - have you contacted Designer Nails - they do Creative and have training academys all over - and you are in classes learning with other people who are all new to nails when doing their foundation course - 0113 275 0433 . I had trained previously with another company to Creative and I am doing my now VCTC - but I wish some one had told me about Creative before enbarking on my learning - I can't turn the clock back but I really recommend you give Designer Nails a call on the above number, this is the training I would have chosen if I had been aware of them at the time - I honestly beleive this will be the best step for you. all the best - Louise

yet again thank you, i will give them a ring and see what they say :) xx

Kimberley said:
Thanks Again
Hi Kimberley,
I did my training with Gina Wallace HL, and thought it was great. The course I found was thorough and in depth, and if you're ever stuck they're very friendly and helpful on the phone. I also did GW Airbrushing as well, and can't praise it enough, (got 93% distinction). I only did the course 4 months ago, but I feel confident enough to do clients. However I will do a Creative conv. course one day (hopefully soon), as they seem to be the biggest and best. I hope I have'nt confused you anymore, and good luck whatever you choose to do.

i know gina wallace is suppose to be really good but i was just abit confused because i didnt know what i would do if i was stuck, but if there is a helpline and things that that shouldnt be a problem, although it seems really pricey :rolleyes: but im sure i could find away to pay thanks again
Kimberely x

I would suggest trying a search on some of the different methods of training (i.e. Home learn, Creative, OPI, EZ Flow, etc...) to get an idea of some of the pros and cons that may have already been discussed.

Good luck. :D

Hi Kimberley,

I'm currently training and the course I'm on the tutor is happy for us to pay in installments so you don't have to stump up big money upfront.
You could check before signing up for a course if they will do this too.
I know you mentioned your local college course doesn't start until September and you clearly want to get cracking ASAP but I would suggest you really think about what course you want/ what you want to get out of it/ what qualifications it offers etc. Whichever course you do it's worth taking the time to research before parting with hard earned (or borrowed!!) cash.
September may seem like ages and when you're eager to start something it can be tempting to jump into something sooner but TAKE YOUR TIME. If it's worth going it's worth doing properly. If the course your college offers is the right one for you then seriously consider waiting for it.
I decided early last year I wanted to train in nails, found a course that fit the bill but it didn't start until December! I could have paid slightly less for a 2-4 day course in the meantime but I'm glad I didn't. Seeing all that is involved (anatomy/physiology/hygiene/diseases etc. etc.) I cannot see how people can learn all this stuff in a weekend! I feel it was definately worth hanging on for the right course.
You obviously want to make Nails your future, it's worth the investment in time (even if that does mean waiting) and money in the long run.

Phew! End of lecture!!

B

hehe thanks, my mum has agreed to pay for the course i really really wanted to do so good news!

I would just like to give you all a thought!!! IF WE ARE TALKING ABOUT YOUR FUTURE - and what you really want to do with your life - £400 / £500 / £600 is NOT a large investment!!!! Especially when you consider that you could be earning £40 - £50 per hour and a half!!! Invest Wisely!!!!

Mrs Geek said:
I would just like to give you all a thought!!! IF WE ARE TALKING ABOUT YOUR FUTURE - and what you really want to do with your life - £400 / £500 / £600 is NOT a large investment!!!! Especially when you consider that you could be earning £40 - £50 per hour and a half!!! Invest Wisely!!!!
Yep to true Samantha !!!!

Homelearn is an option but you dont get the personal tutoring...........
You get video and book information, and this doesn't come cheap.........
For a few pounds more you can have a Creative Four Day foundation course....
Tutoring in person, someone looking over you shoulder making sure you are doing it correctly and safley......Then a written exam cover all the important points you have learned.......Then once you have problems and you will because we all struggle when we first learn...life long support......add on education, troubleshooting classes and the chance to take your Masters at the end...
So I know what I would choose, second time around......Crative all the way......
I feel and this is my oppinion, if you have a good tutor you will have a good education but if you have a great tutor then you will get great education, and all the Creative Ambassadors are great tutors.............and this can make or brake any education............ It's the quality and the price that counts.....
just my humble oppinion

ok, i know its not alot but my family arent that rich anyway and ive waited like 6 months for £315. If i do the acrylic/overlay course and its ok but not as good as creative then the rest of my coruses will be with creative :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back