Help!! Trying to get started

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teeka3pn

Reaction score
HI All,

I know you have probably seen this many times but I could really do with some advice.
I've just passed my L&P and Spa Manicure/Pedicure and am now in the process of getting started, the problem is I am at the moment still working full time and I'm finding it difficult to fit everything in just to get myself started and off the ground so to speak.
How did others do it, do you suggest going part time and trying to find a room/chair in a salon and just going for it or stick at full time and try and build a base up?
Ahh the more I try and work out when I can do what the more desperate I'm beggining to feel.
I know it won't happen overnight and word of mouth is the best advert but even that's hard when friends and family don't want extensions!!!

Ali xx :|

what industry do you currently work in? what time do you have to give to nails?

I worked in travel before nails and worked 9-5 and got home to practice nails and have clients. I built my clientele up with family and work collegues then took the plunge b y renting a table in a tanning shop.

Hi, i have recently started up by myself working from home in the evening and weekends while the kids are in bed. I have a few clients but still trying to get more. I have given price lists to friends to give to thier friends and to give them out at work. Also do loyalty cards, so on clients 5th visit they get it half price. Just designing leaflets so i can put them through doors. Have also put treatments on offer, this attracted a few more x it does take time unfortunately, hope ive been of some help x

hiya
i am the same as you, i work full-time in an office.
i started my nail business part-time in august and i haven't advertised anywhere yet, i gave all my friends and family price lists & business cards and offered to do their first treatment half price just to get me started, I'm now slowly building a regular client base as all the people that had treatments half price liked being pampered and keep coming back, and have in turn recommended me to their friends/family so I'm slowly starting to grow my business.

it is hard trying to fit people in around work but i am finding it is giving me experience and when i have enough nail clients i will go part-time at the office, and hopefully one day give up the office all together, but at the moment i need my office job to pay the bills and pay for all the creative courses i want to do.

x x x

I work in accounts 9-5pm at the moment and I'm aiming to do mobile after work/weekends.
Trouble is work don't know I've qualified so I can't even advertise at work lol!!! :)
I'm Minxing my Sister's nails tonight in the hope that somebody at her work may enquire but I'm stuck for practising extensions on people.
Thank you for your replies, made me feel better just knowing other people have made it work.

Ali xxxx

Hello,

I work 9 - 5pm, in an office, which is about 10 minute drive from the salon, (I rent the back part of the hairdressers).

To be really honest, some days, when the bookings aren't coming in, like now and it's quiet out there, you get disheartened, and de motivated very easily, and other days, you wake up feeling that this is only you who can pull this out of the bag, get the bookings, and bring in the money, and you have to be like this more often than not, even if you don't feel like it.

It is a struggle, to juggle everything, plus home life stuff, and I don't even have children, so I dread to think what it would be like if I did.

I just prioritise what needs doing first, and advertising is the first thing for me. I have 3 local pubs that let me drop off vista print flyers, and I go in now and again and make sure they are all up to date and re stocked.

Hopefully, word of mouth will happen once you get regulars, which is nice. I have one client, that brings her Mum, Sisters and daughters to me, so I gave her a voucher as a way of appreciating what she had done.

I think every now & again, people get fed up and wonder what it is their doing wrong, but you also have to look at the bigger picture i.e current climate and how it affects everyone.

Hope that helps, and hopefully, anyone else that has / is like this can all get motivated for Christmas & New Year

Carly x

I work in accounts 9-5pm at the moment and I'm aiming to do mobile after work/weekends.
Trouble is work don't know I've qualified so I can't even advertise at work lol!!! :)

TELL THEM - It doesnt interfere with your accounting work so get them all on board if your worried what they may say - put a lovely set on yourself and if anyone asks say You did the course and leave it at that, the following week change your nails to something like glitter tips and when they ask you about them say your practicing/building up skill/working from home and hand them a lil price list.
My Accountants love permanent polish so get do french natural nail overlays on them!!

Latest posts

Back