Help-what am I doing wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmalou6

Reaction score
Hi

I added glitter to a clients nails with Gelish

I preped, did the 2 colour coats (cured) and the added glitter then topped it off and cured

All the glitter has come on my clients nails? What am i doing wrong i have preped the same way i have for everyone else! Very embarssing it didn't even last 2 days

I have jsut used fine craft glitter?

Thanks

I use Shellac not Gelish but it should be much the same. I'm not sure whats gone wrong but I only do one colour coat, then glitter into sticky layer and two top coats. I use all kinds of glitter from craft to specific nail art and they've all been fine.

Are you sure its not something the client has done, how have others faired?

Karaxxx

I don't think she has she has sent me a picture of them and they look awful

was your top coat definitely cured ok? Were they set hard when she left you? Are all 10 nails the same?

Hi yeah it was definitley cured and cleansed it did feel rough though?!

Hi yeah it was definitley cured and cleansed it did feel rough though?!

If it felt rough... maybe she's been picking? I often topcoat twice so it's nice and smooth. Or clear then 1 topcoat. Depends on my mood. Haha xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If it is craft glitter it may not have been colour fast and maybe it's faded and looks like it has come off??

Hi - did you burnish the glitter on the nail with your brush so it was all smooth and flat prior to top coating?

Make sure there's no glitter on the edge, this catches on everything. Pat the glitter into a sticky layer with a brush, remove glitter from the edge, then 2 layers of TIO or one layer of structure gel and then TIO (I do it for super smooth finish) making sure you seal the edge. Imo client had to be picking it anyway. Hth :)

I have once before used craft fine glitter and it kind of merges with the colour, I now use nail glitters and haven't had a problem since, I try to get away with only 1 colour coat but some need 2 and I press the glitter in with a brush making sure its all flat to the tacky layer then double top coat x

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help I changed my glitter and it's worked much better the finish was smooth and I was so pleased xx

Hi,

I do mine a different way to everyone else - after the colour coat, I apply the glitter, pat with a brush and cure again. Then TIO, cure. Wipe, then buff, wipe and repeat with TIO. it's always smooth and stays on for ages. Xxx

Don't want to read n run think I know where you went wrong will discuss tomorrow :)

I do a huge amount of glitter nails and I apply the glitter with a brush then brush it off with a small soft baby brush, this leaves it smooth with no excess glitter. Then go round the edges with an orange stick, and gently pat my free edges with my finger before curing then apply two coats of topcoat. sS

Sorry for the late reply, been a really busy day but I didn't forget you. I've done loads of glitter nails. Do usual prep, prime, base, 1st colour coat, 2nd colour coat and cure with no glitter at this point. Once you bring it out the lamp leave the inhibition layer and sprinkle glitter on. Use a soft brush to burnish the glitter in. I usually pat it down gently first then stroke up and down the length of the nail then side wall to side wall to ensure even coverage. Clean brush by dry wiping to remove excess glitter then go over the nail again to remove excess glitter. Do not cure again. Simply top with top coat and done! It shouldn't be rough after on top coat but if it is, simply top coat again.

Hth xx

Silly question is TIO - top it off?

Do your layers of gelish, in the second drop the loose glitter on and cure, then brush over to remove excess add a layer of gel, cure add another layer, cure,wipe your tacky layer off then buff the top so that it's goes cloudy and do not worry!! Buff until it's how flat and smooth you like, do a final layer of gel cure and wipe off the glitter WILL NOT MOVE and will be really smooth! I'm not qualified but this is how I do it and my friend that is qualified agrees with me that it works very well and said she was never taught this so it's like my own wee technique? lol it works!!

Latest posts

Back