Help- Why has this happened to the nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrspip

Reaction score
Hi

I've been to a client today to remove and re-apply her shellac. I've been about 5-6 times before and up until today her nails have been fine.
When I removed her shellac today her nails looked like they were 'peeling' on both middle and index fingers.
All nails seemed to be softer than normal aswell

Could anyone tell me exactly whats happened and how I can fix it?
Would giving the nail a break from shellac and using solar oil more be the best thing to do?

I don't wamt to loose her as a client

Attachments

• photo 1a.jpg
    photo 1a.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 689
Has she been using solar oil at all?

Has she been using solar oil at all?

I did ask her. She said she uses it sometime. I did mention how important it is, but from what she was saying I don't think she can see the benifit of putting it on over the top of the shellac as I think she feels that the nail would need to be 'naked' (as she put it) for it to work.

She did say she would try to use it more

You're not scraping at it too harshly when removing are you?? Doug Schoon's latest seminar explains that if you're scraping at the shellac (when it's not fully been soaked) this can cause damage because the nails have soaked in a bit of the acetone causing them to be softer. Not long-term soft, just soft because they're wet basically.

Make sure that you're only using the wooden pusher to gently remove what's already been lifted off. Has she ever removed her own shellac?? When clients remove it themselves you can see this sort of peeling also.

I got similar damage when I peeled shellac off rather than soaking. Very naughty I know :|

I did ask her. She said she uses it sometime. I did mention how important it is, but from what she was saying I don't think she can see the benifit of putting it on over the top of the shellac as I think she feels that the nail would need to be 'naked' (as she put it) for it to work.

She did say she would try to use it more

Well she can now see living proof that using Solar Oil 'sometimes' is not good enough and that not following the after care advice you have given her isn't working(?).

As the professional you should be able to explain exactly how Solar Oil works and how it indeed does penetrate and reptate through the tiny tunnels of Shellac directly into the tiny tunnels in her nail plate!! If you have taken a Shellac Class then you will know exactly how Solar Oil works; if you haven't, then I suggest you do.

You should also be able to offer her suggestions of how and when to use Solar Oil so that using it can be done every evening before she goes to bed. How about keeping her Solar Oil on her night stand so that it reminds her?

I also suggest that you use the new Shellac moisturising Remover ... which works in 8 minutes and benefits the nail plate by moisturising it at the same time.

She does not need to rest her nails, she needs to moisturise them daily with Solar Oil ... pretty simple solution, would you agree? :)

I have a few naughty clients that say they simply forget to apply their SO so I tell them to keep their bottle next to their tooth brush. They have to apply it every time they brush their teeth. It's worked wonders for them.

Although one of my ladies came home from a girls night out and after a little too much wine she almost put the solar oil on her tooth brush. That made me giggle!

Hope this helps xx

You're not scraping at it too harshly when removing are you?? Doug Schoon's latest seminar explains that if you're scraping at the shellac (when it's not fully been soaked) this can cause damage because the nails have soaked in a bit of the acetone causing them to be softer. Not long-term soft, just soft because they're wet basically.

Make sure that you're only using the wooden pusher to gently remove what's already been lifted off. Has she ever removed her own shellac?? When clients remove it themselves you can see this sort of peeling also.

I know I'm not scrapping to hard as the nails are already like this when I remove the CND shellac remover wrap, but I will be extra cautious when I do the scrapping

I got similar damage when I peeled shellac off rather than soaking. Very naughty I know :|

Thinking about it now, she may have peeled the shellac off in the past, but this was a month or so ago, so would it have taken this long to cause the damage?

First .....
I LOATH and detest the word 'scraping'!! It should never be used as a term in any procedure of nail technology and too many are using it IMHO.

Scraping sounds harsh, deleterious and harmful ... all of which it IS.

Gentle Removal does not contain 'scraping' as part of the technique. You can 'loosen' or 'shed' the product or just plain remove any excess product, but scrape we do not do; it sounds very very unprofessional.

Second .....
If your client has peeled her product from the nail instead of having it professionally removed .. she deserves all she gets, has gone completely against after care advise and yes, dehydration happens over time and is not always immediately apparent.

Well she can now see living proof that using Solar Oil 'sometimes' is not good enough and that not following the after care advice you have given her isn't working(?).

As the professional you should be able to explain exactly how Solar Oil works and how it indeed does penetrate and reptate through the tiny tunnels of Shellac directly into the tiny tunnels in her nail plate!! If you have taken a Shellac Class then you will know exactly how Solar Oil works; if you haven't, then I suggest you do.

You should also be able to offer her suggestions of how and when to use Solar Oil so that using it can be done every evening before she goes to bed. How about keeping her Solar Oil on her night stand so that it reminds her?

I also suggest that you use the new Shellac moisturising Remover ... which works in 8 minutes and benefits the nail plate by moisturising it at the same time.

She does not need to rest her nails, she needs to moisturise them daily with Solar Oil ... pretty simple solution, would you agree? :)

Thanks geeg- I didnt think that she would need to rest her nails, as I know shellac is kind to the natural nail.
I will defiantly remind her (again) of the importance of using the solar oil every day.

First .....
I LOATH and detest the word 'scraping'!! It should never be used as a term in any procedure of nail technology and too many are using it IMHO.

Scraping sounds harsh, deleterious and harmful ... all of which it IS.

Gentle Removal does not contain 'scraping' as part of the technique. You can 'loosen' or 'shed' the product or just plain remove any excess product, but scrape we do not do; it sounds very very unprofessional.

Second .....
If your client has peeled her product from the nail instead of having it professionally removed .. she deserves all she gets, has gone completely against after care advise and yes, dehydration happens over time and is not always immediately apparent.

I will ask her again if when the shellac has 'come off', as she put it, whether or not she ever peeled any off. I'm sure she will say she didn't but I'll ask anyway.

She's not been using solar oil often enough. End of.

I had the same question a few months ago. I went to a cnd instructor and she told me that It was left over base coat... that the base coat that was left from previous shellac application... dried the nail! the cnd instructor said its very important to remove ALL BASE COAT!. I am taking extra precaution now and haven't seen this in months!! TRY IT u'll be surprised :) also appling the oil twice a day is a must.

clip that dryness from the nail,.... and next time make sure all base coat is removed.

Hi

I've been to a client today to remove and re-apply her shellac. I've been about 5-6 times before and up until today her nails have been fine.
When I removed her shellac today her nails looked like they were 'peeling' on both middle and index fingers.
All nails seemed to be softer than normal aswell

Could anyone tell me exactly whats happened and how I can fix it?
Would giving the nail a break from shellac and using solar oil more be the best thing to do?

I don't wamt to loose her as a client

This is just a bad case of Peeling nails, I see clients like this all of the time, obviously this doesnt help when they dont use their oil like we tell them too because regular use of oil helps peeling nails.

The only way for clients with peeling nails to wear shellac successfully is to gentle buff the natural nail where the peel is otherwise the shellac will just peel off with the peeling nail. All of my clients are happy for me to do this as they love shellac so much and want to keep using it, just be careful what file you use, a very gently one will do. HTH Ax

Latest posts

Back