Help with a colour change, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iconic

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I don't post on here too often, so please bare with me!
I have a client who's colour is currently like this..
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1411402018.404865.jpg
And she is wanting to achieve a colour like this..
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1411402042.971347.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1411402053.214681.jpg

Now I know my main aim is to kill a lot of the warmth she currently has but I'm unsure exactly how is best to achieve her desired colour here and was wondering if somebody could please help..

I was thinking of applying 7.1 to her root and mid lengths and tone down the ends with something like a 10.13?

Do you think this would work? Or does anyone please have suggestions of what may work better?

I was also going to go about this by sectioning the hair 'hot cross bun' style and then taking diagonal sections within each quarter and applying to roots and mids and then feathering in the ends colour? Smudging them at the join?
Do you think this is the best approach?

Thank you in advance for the help.. Hopefully somebody here could guide me in the best direction! :)

Bump for a little bit of hope! X

Bump? .. Somebody please help? xx

it would be quite fiddly, on the virgin root you'd be able to use 7/1, but as you bring it down onto the lightened pieces that'll en up going khaki. you're better of using a warm colour, I find it easier to get a better result with warm colours rather then ashy anyway, as for technique I would do balayge in foils, e.g take 2cm pieces in normal foiling sections but starting from nape, from the 2cm section take a 1cm section, backcomb it and apply colour to the middle, feather into the back combing and saturate the ends. put a foil below and on too and then fold. I would do three colours in the foils, something like a 9/3, another with conditioner and possibly another with lightener and 3% in a runny consistency (a bit weaker) just to clean some of the blonde up a bit.

then, apply your root colour inbetween, use a 7 with 3% so you don't get any lift/glow just some richness, e.g 7/7 illumina, feather the colour into the backcombing and apply a lot of colour at the root, and then use your comb and go from root to tip on the 1cm sections left inbetween foils, don't aim to saturate it but just to blend it down to stop lines and tone

after developing I would tone with either illumina 10/36 with some 9, or something similar in colour touch, just to add a bit of depth and shine to the rest.

sorry for the long winded reply but you seemed to put forward your own ideas so didn't see why anyone wasn't helping you so hope this helps!

it would be quite fiddly, on the virgin root you'd be able to use 7/1, but as you bring it down onto the lightened pieces that'll en up going khaki. you're better of using a warm colour, I find it easier to get a better result with warm colours rather then ashy anyway, as for technique I would do balayge in foils, e.g take 2cm pieces in normal foiling sections but starting from nape, from the 2cm section take a 1cm section, backcomb it and apply colour to the middle, feather into the back combing and saturate the ends. put a foil below and on too and then fold. I would do three colours in the foils, something like a 9/3, another with conditioner and possibly another with lightener and 3% in a runny consistency (a bit weaker) just to clean some of the blonde up a bit.

then, apply your root colour inbetween, use a 7 with 3% so you don't get any lift/glow just some richness, e.g 7/7 illumina, feather the colour into the backcombing and apply a lot of colour at the root, and then use your comb and go from root to tip on the 1cm sections left inbetween foils, don't aim to saturate it but just to blend it down to stop lines and tone

after developing I would tone with either illumina 10/36 with some 9, or something similar in colour touch, just to add a bit of depth and shine to the rest.

sorry for the long winded reply but you seemed to put forward your own ideas so didn't see why anyone wasn't helping you so hope this helps!

Wow.. Thank you so so much for your very detailed response!
I know - I can't understand why nobody has replied to my message.. I was starting to doubt whether I had posted it correctly.. Anyhow..
I was wondering that with the 7/1, thinking I may end up with a khaki looking colour, which is why I thought I'd seek some advice, so thank you for offering your help..
Can I ask you a few questions to clarify some things?!? .. I hope that's ok?

When you say take the 1cm sub section and apply colour to the middle feathering in to the backcombing.. Would you back comb approx 2/3 of the way down the hair then? .. Leave the root as it is until after completing this step first.. Sooo leave the root, apply colour to the mid (9/3) and saturate the end with lightener.. Where and why would you apply the conditioner?? (Sorry if that's me being stupid?!)

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely there and you mean alternating the foils with a separate colour in each??

Thennnn.. On to the root colour.. Flood the colour in between all foils, dragging it down to meet the 9/3 on the 1st previously coloured 1cm sub sections.. and on the second 1cm sub section that was previously left out, apply the colour heavily at the root and then just comb it through to the very ends.. Is that correct? ..

I have this client in on Friday.. I'm looking forward to the challenge, albeit slightly nervous at the same time! Il have to take a before and after pic!!

Thanks again for your help :) x

you've got it 😊 as for the backcombing, take the 2cm section, then the 1cm section from within that, backcomb starting from the ends working up to the roots. don't worry about it being messy, and don't try to make it tightly back combed either. after you've done that, apply the colour.

as for the three different colours I mentioned, I meant use them in different foils I.e conditioner in one, lightener in the next, 9/3 in the next and repeat..

you've got it 😊 as for the backcombing, take the 2cm section, then the 1cm section from within that, backcomb starting from the ends working up to the roots. don't worry about it being messy, and don't try to make it tightly back combed either. after you've done that, apply the colour.

as for the three different colours I mentioned, I meant use them in different foils I.e conditioner in one, lightener in the next, 9/3 in the next and repeat..

Ok.. Thank you so much! ..
A couple of other questions if that's ok??
Why would you use conditioner in one foil?
And secondly
Why would you backcomb the entire 1cm subsection if you're going to apply the same colour from mids to ends?

I soo want to get this perfect!! x

conditioner because the client already has light hair and you might as well utilise that instead of covering it up, will
keep it more multi tonal. and you backcomb so all the backcomb is at the root but loosely, then you apply the colour to the mids and feather into the back combing and saturate the ends. backcombing helps blend

conditioner because the client already has light hair and you might as well utilise that instead of covering it up, will
keep it more multi tonal. and you backcomb so all the backcomb is at the root but loosely, then you apply the colour to the mids and feather into the back combing and saturate the ends. backcombing helps blend

Right I get it, thank you!! ..
Yes, I always back comb when doing ombre effect but usually just where the different colours meet.. But I read your previous message as in back comb from root to tip on each 1cm sub section and wondered why you would backcomb the whole section?! .. But now I realise you didn't mean that at all!

Ah, so the conditioner is just to keep the existing colour but keeping it out the way at the same time! That makes sense :)

Thank you so so much for your help - I really really appreciate it and thanks for clarifying the parts I was unsure of too!

Il take a pic of the end result!

Thanks again xx

I saw it and was interested in responses but I'm still training so would have been no help. Can't wait to see the end result xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here was the final result! ..
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1411736946.317360.jpg

I didn't manage to get it looking much like the picture! But she liked it anyhow! :) thanks for your help xxx

did you use the technique I said? looks really good!

what colours did you use?

Hi tomliampiper!

Yes, I used the technique you suggested!

I used 7/7 for the root colour,
and then did ombre foils using matrix 1/2 8G, 1/2 9G in one, lightener in another and conditioner in the 3rd..

And that was all actually! I didn't even tone it as thought it looked ok as it was?

Thank you so so much for your help - do you think it turned out ok? xx

The end result is lovely.

The only thing I'd say is it's more golden then the pic.

The end result is lovely.

The only thing I'd say is it's more golden then the pic.

Thank you dlm.

Yes, you're right, it is.. Although I did say to my client at the beginning that I may struggle to kill all the warmth in her hair as she had a lot!! And she was fine with that and said she wasn't too concerned about the colour being the same, and that she sent me the picture to just show me the look she wanted? To clarify she wanted it to look blended as opposed to looking like bad roots!

xx

Hi tomliampiper!

Yes, I used the technique you suggested!

I used 7/7 for the root colour,
and then did ombre foils using matrix 1/2 8G, 1/2 9G in one, lightener in another and conditioner in the 3rd..

And that was all actually! I didn't even tone it as thought it looked ok as it was?

Thank you so so much for your help - do you think it turned out ok? xx

sounds good! yeah looks really nice!

Latest posts

Back