Help with Applying nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmaspeers

Reaction score
I have bought some new products this week (OPI) and also have a lot of Nails Inc too... I thought it was Nails Inc that wasnt great so thats why I have bought some OPI however I am not happy still :eek:.

I have OPI natural base coat, OPI polish (various colours), and OPI top coat and have also bought the dry drops. I have used all these, together, but even after 10 mins drying time they just ruin so easily - can anyone tell me if there are any tricks of the trade to get it right?:confused: And how long should I allow each coat to dry? And do i prep as normal (cuticles, file shine, gel cleanser, primer etc?) Thanks so much

I have bought some new products this week (OPI) and also have a lot of Nails Inc too... I thought it was Nails Inc that wasnt great so thats why I have bought some OPI however I am not happy still :eek:.

I have OPI natural base coat, OPI polish (various colours), and OPI top coat and have also bought the dry drops. I have used all these, together, but even after 10 mins drying time they just ruin so easily - can anyone tell me if there are any tricks of the trade to get it right?:confused: And how long should I allow each coat to dry? And do i prep as normal (cuticles, file shine, gel cleanser, primer etc?) Thanks so much

Just make sure you're applying your polish nice and thin. Do you mean you are using a gel cleanser and primer on the natural nails before polishing?

If you are painting a natural nail, you don't need to file the shine and do those steps... or am I getting it wrong?

Last edited:
I didnt do that - have only done mine and didnt do those steps no, which is where i wondered i was going wrong, but obviously not... on mine i just pushed cuticles back, and applied polishes... I apply all my polishes thin, and do 1 base coat, 2 polish, 1 top coat and then the drops... i also seal the free edge (well drag polish over the edge to cap)... so frustrating!!

How long approx after last coat should you wait for it to dry? Literally within a few hours they had started wearing and also imprints of sheets etc... i know using colored gel would be better but sometimes you dont have time on yourself!

omg i have looked through tutorials loads of times and not seen this - how have i missed it? Oops, hope i dont get into trouble for that....

They should be touch dry after 20 minutes, but they usually should take an hour or so to be completely dry.

I have a couple of OPI polishes that I use for French and I love them, although I love CND Super Shiney top coat.. it leaves a high gloss finish on the nails and dries very fast.

I have a few clients that have their nails done at lunchtime and go back to work straight after I do their nails, so the nails are usually dry by the time they return to work.

Sorry to sounds stupid but which colours do you have for french or is it obviously a nude / pink and a white? lol... So if i was to do nails for a client (obviously not yet lol) how long would i have them sit and wait? And do you use anything else ( i have seen nail dryers before now but not sure if necessary?)

Oh and how long would you expect polish to last for on the nails? How often do your clients come back for them to be re-painted?

Oh and how long would you expect polish to last for on the nails? How often do your clients come back for them to be re-painted?

One of the pinks is Rosy future and I can't remember the other one... sorry!

They are nice and sheer and thin.

I use a non acetone polish remover to clean the nails or sometimes scrubfresh... this will temporarily dehydrate the nail and helps polish adhere better to the nail.

I don't do that many french paints anymore since I got Shellac, but my clients used to get their nails done every two weeks.

Sometimes they'd get two weeks (usually the clients that have great natural nails)

But usually they'd only get a week out of a french paint if they mind them and keep them out of water as best they can.

HTH

Oh I have them wait for 20 minutes to allow for drying :)

I generally look for around a week with a manicure, mine on myself never last much longer. Oh, how I wish I had Shellac at this moment!

omg i have looked through tutorials loads of times and not seen this - how have i missed it? Oops, hope i dont get into trouble for that....
I must of read and re read that tutorial loads :) The nail fresh trick is amazing and really neatens it up! It took a couple of practice goes to get the edges right, but worth the time.

I have watched the tutorial before and forgot lol - in fact its saved to my desktop hehe... i have yet to send my certificate to cnd to buy some products from them, by the imte i do it itll be xmas - just in time for my xmas list ;)

You should definitely send your certificate off and use the products. They are fab. I use the Citrus SpaManicure products and love them and I'm buying a pedicure range very soon too.

Also on there, there are tutorials which may help you. Don't wait until Xmas, do it now!

Claire i def dont plan to wait til xmas, sarcastic comment lol - i know what im like tho!! I am so pre-occupied at the mo with my 16 month old, 7 yr old (summer hols need i say more) and my evergrowing bump due in just 12 short weeks!!! :eek: And not to mention the car in the garage at the moment for repair, confined to a small village... the joys ;)

Claire i def dont plan to wait til xmas, sarcastic comment lol - i know what im like tho!! I am so pre-occupied at the mo with my 16 month old, 7 yr old (summer hols need i say more) and my evergrowing bump due in just 12 short weeks!!! :eek: And not to mention the car in the garage at the moment for repair, confined to a small village... the joys ;)

Sounds lovely really .. a beautiful time of life to be in.

A quick fax of your certificate will do, or a photocopy and covering note popped in the post. You'll be glad you took the time.

As for quick drying polish .. there is not a faster drying polish than the CND Colour & Effects range But BEWARE ... when you have a fast drying polish you have to be a super fast polisher too or else it will be difficult to polish with it or your polishes will thicken by being left open too long. I actually always buy 2 so that one is what I use and the other is my 'top up' bottle to keep the polish always 'Fresh'.

Ur right geeg indeed a beautiful time of life and i appreciate evry moment of it! One dya they'll be all grown up :( Will be making th emost of it now!

Thanks for advice re fast drying polish... I bought a normal OPi top coat last wk and been beating myself up cos i hadnt bought the fast drying one and hadnt understood why they even sell one that doesnt dry as fast... after doing a polish for 1st time PROPERLY on myself today with all OPI i now realise and am glad i bought the normal one espescially for myself, my right hand looked great (thanks to all the tutorials and videos i've watched since yesterday) and it lasted all day lovely and was dry so quick after i used the OPI drying drops and then tonight I had an appointment for infills and the gel cleanser made them go dead sticky and looks yuk now - it was menat to be my test to see how it looked / lasted. I was glad to do it though, need the practice but starting to think i should practice on other people 1st - its hard on my left hnd ;)

Well now that you've been told that CND is the best...yet again, there is a brand called Amoresse that is truly exquisite. I am not sure if there is a distributor near you but they are out of California. Excellant line, colours, and quality. We have seen nothing better out there.:)

Amoresse - is it a polish? and i am in england so not sure its feasible (re postage) for me to order...
i have never used cnd as yet, but plan to get an account with them asap as here in england i think the genral consensus is cnd is fab fab fab!!! or so i hear ;) and to be fair they stock some great items that i have seen myself.
I am still new to this game but all suggestions welcome, however sarcasm about other products isnt really my thing sorry :( Dont want to cause conflict here, but dont wana to be in the middle of world war 3... to be fair we have to bare in mind this is a forum dominated by s2 and run by them ... so i would expect to hear good tings about their products :)

to be fair we have to bare in mind this is a forum dominated by s2 and run by them ... so i would expect to hear good tings about their products :)

Actually this site is not 'run by S2'. This site existed years before Sweet Squared existed, and it's thanks to Samuel who runs this site in his own time that we have salongeek. It does tend to mean that CND news hits the forum quickly, but it is not an S2/CND owned or run forum.

Salongeek is for everyone, we have educators and techs from across the brands here, and all are welcome - indeed encouraged. It's not another means of advertising CND, I'm sure Samuel can think of much less time-consuming ways for him....

Not only is it polish but they also have l&p as well as a brand new UV gel system. They have many great products, and their bottling is very cool and professional:)

Latest posts

Back