help with blending

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kezzy123

Reaction score
Hi
just wondered if anyone can help me, i am doing acrylic tip and overlay course with essential nails, but i am having trouble with my blending, im finding that when the step dissappears between the smile line and the step it looks cloudy, i am not sure if it is the glue that i can see or if it is that i am not blending enough and have left to much of the well. i have tryed filing more but i end up filing it all off and then it breaks at the free edge, i cant correct my fault until i know what the problem is. hope someone can shed some light on what i am doing wrong.

thanks kezzy

kezzy123 said:
Hi
just wondered if anyone can help me, i am doing acrylic tip and overlay course with essential nails, but i am having trouble with my blending, im finding that when the step dissappears between the smile line and the step it looks cloudy, i am not sure if it is the glue that i can see or if it is that i am not blending enough and have left to much of the well. i have tryed filing more but i end up filing it all off and then it breaks at the free edge, i cant correct my fault until i know what the problem is. hope someone can shed some light on what i am doing wrong.

thanks kezzy

search for the following thread on blending called....

Can still see the seam on a blended tip

There are also tutorials on blending tips on here under the 'forums' and then 'tutorials' then 'finishing and maintenance'...scroll down to file control part 2, thinning and blending that will tell you all you need to know

When you get rid of the step, change to a very high grit buffer and gently blend looking out not to over do it.

Are you taking the free-edge right down? Can you see the shadows after you have applied acrylic?

yes i can still see the shadow after applying the overlay, have tried filing from the free edge up to the step and the step goes quite quickly but its as if the glue is showing through the tip, i have filed more and it takes the shadow away but tip just breaks off. i just cant work out if it is the filing or the glue where the problem is. have read the tutorials but still have this cloudy shadow showing through, its driving me mad.

why not try taking out most of the well area by pre designing the tip before it is applied. If you do this with a file you'll get a perfect smile line with the tip which if there is any shadowing after blending will be under the white free edge. Hope this makes sense.

Definatley read the tutorials as they explain blending technique. What type of tips are you using? Try removing some of the well area and also pre-blend (remove some of the surface of the tip before applying).
Once the tip is applied and you start to blend, start at the tip and work back to the seam, by the time you get there you should require minimal blending on the seam and it should just blend away.

Try not using too much adehsive the line you see could be that. Just use a small amount and rock the tip into place. or try a brush on adhesive if you are getting it flowin out.

thanks everyone for all your advice, will keep on trying have been doing what it says in the tutorials guess i just need to keep at it untill it comes right.
i never thought that learning to do nails was going to be easy but i also didnt think it was going to be this hard, but now ive started im gonna finish, everyone says just to keep practising, so that is what im gonna do.

I found doing the L&P course with Essential Nails that the adhesive was very runny so what I did was put a little on the tip and on the nail this helped and stopped air bubbles.
I also tried Gelbond and found this brilliant as it doesn't run on to the nail hth:hug:

we had a girl in college that kept finding the same problem as you. the tutor told her that it was the way she was holding her file.she used to hold it on too much of a angle. she know holds it more flat-not dead flat.
she now doesn't get the cloud finish anymore.
hope this makes sence.

a cloudy look is definatley filing, buff it with a 100 file very lightly, wipe with cleaner and keep checking to see if its still cloudy.

where can i buy gelbond from, if i am doing my training with essential nails does that mean that i can only buy products from them.

kezzy123 said:
where can i buy gelbond from, if i am doing my training with essential nails does that mean that i can only buy products from them.
Gel bond is available from designer nails. You can get it from the onestop nail shops or via the head office. Its really good.

gelbond helped me a great deal.i had been using a thin liquid adhesive and always had some kind of airbubble.it was definitely making my blending very difficult.make sure you have enough in the well of the tip and roll the tip onto the natural nail.
good luck!!!

I have been doing nail extensions for years now and i first started out with a simalar problem. When i do acrylic nails i apply the tip with enough glue on the well press down and sweep away excess with cotton bud. i then use acetone on a cotton bud and rub away the joining line until barely visable this reduces filing time then i gently file the rest with a 180 grit file or white block should only take a couple of sweeps. apply acrylic and file over, oil, and buff hay presto you have a perfect set of nails every time.

good luck

elegance said:
I have been doing nail extensions for years now and i first started out with a simalar problem. When i do acrylic nails i apply the tip with enough glue on the well press down and sweep away excess with cotton bud. i then use acetone on a cotton bud and rub away the joining line until barely visable this reduces filing time then i gently file the rest with a 180 grit file or white block should only take a couple of sweeps. apply acrylic and file over, oil, and buff hay presto you have a perfect set of nails every time.

good luck
Using acetone or tip blender to blend away the line after you have put on a tip is not a good idea as this soaks into the tip and makes it weaker....after all we use acetone to REMOVE enhancements and tips, far better to learn to blend properly as per the tutorials on here.

dids said:
why not try taking out most of the well area by pre designing the tip before it is applied. If you do this with a file you'll get a perfect smile line with the tip which if there is any shadowing after blending will be under the white free edge. Hope this makes sense.
Exactly what I do,I used to have shadow because I left too much of the well area,no matter how much I thinned the tip I could still see the shadow through the acrylic.It drove me mad.Followed advise from fellow geek and had help from Sassy and never looked back.

Hi everyone.
Kezzy 123 - I don't suppose you are having this trouble with the number 6 nail in particular? I have done the same course - and I found that the number 6 nail's apex was really flat, I assumed that the cloudy mark you could see was in fact the glue because the tips were too curvy. I could be wrong, but this was the only nail I found this to happen with! Do I make any sense? :confused:

dids said:
Gel bond is available from designer nails. You can get it from the onestop nail shops or via the head office. Its really good.
I've just finished the gel course and I know what you mean! Gelbond is great but you can't use this for the work you are submitting to Essential Nails. You have to use the stuff they supply in the kit. But when I do real nails I use gelbond now because it's much easier to control.Bear with it you'll get there in the end. :O)

no the no 6 nail is terrible with airbubbles, but having the blending trouble with all of them, im gonna have a play around and see what happens, just need to take everyones advice and keep going and hopefully i will get there in the end. i hope!!!!!!!!!!!thanks everyone for all of your help.

Latest posts

Back