Help with child's greasy roots

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ataylor0510

Reaction score
Help please! A client's 8 yr old daughter has very greasy hair, as soon as she washes it within hour it looks greasy again. I've suggested to not wash it every day but after day 2 almost half the length of her hair is greasy.
She has been to the doctors about this and was prescribed medicated shampoo but she doesn't think it's made a difference.
Can anyone recommend a shampoo or do you have any tips please?
She's now become very conscious of it aaa her friends have noticed it :(
Thanks!

following as would love to know this too! x

Ah bless her, I'm not a hair geek but is it a hormonal thing, I know she's only 8, but could an imbalance!? Talc or dry shampoo can be helpful! Hair geeks may have better advice! X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Does the girls mum shampoo her hair once or twice? If only once recommend twice and no conditioner x

Dry shampoo isn't making a difference :( I'll mention to her about shampooing twice, thank you x

I would braid it and leave it as long as she can between shampoos....does she touch her hair alot? De Lorenzo have a great range products they are really good and wont be to harmful.

Sent from my A500 using SalonGeek mobile app

Paul Mitchell shampoo two is really good for greasy hair, I have greasy hair and use this and it seems to keep it at bay a lot more than if I don't use it. I also find doing two shampoos when I wash it and combing it through when the shampoos on too.

:) x

What shampoo are they using?

It may be scalp hyper hidrosis if half the hair length is appearing oily, because sweat (being mostly water) spreads down the hair shaft faster than sebum (which only spreads an inch or so as oil is thicker). It's tricky to treat without having trich-approved products, but do some research online first as it may not be what you're describing xx

Hi,
Try not to wash it every day, when you do wash it make sure the water isn't too hot because it activitates the glands on the scalp, playing with their hair and touching it will also do this. Try using shampoos which are strawberry, coconut, raspberry scented as citrus shampoo and conditioners can draw out the grease.also rubbing too hard when washing can activate the glands too.
Hope this is useful!

I had the same issue when i was younger (not as young as 8 though).
My mum taken me to Boots and got a special shampoo for oily hair (with a mint smell) It worked wonders! X

Matrix normalising shampoo, is good x

Is she washing it properly? I've seen so many complain about greasy hair but when actually seeing how they wash it they barely even rub their scalp.

I would suspect diet first.

This is an old thread....

Latest posts

Back