Help with CND


Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not open for further replies.

Suzanne R

Well-Known Member
Mar 8, 2003
Reaction score
One of my regualr clients came in today for a buff and polish and I replaced 2 of her nails. The acrylic would not set up was rubbery. I did the same things I always do and never have problems. I had to soak them off and start over. I changed my monomer, used new powder, scrubfresh, primer, used a different brush. Our monomer is about 1/2 full and is clean, our powders are almost empty but have always been kept closed, the primer is clean. I was the last one to use the nail supplies on Friday and everything was fine. We are using Radical with Perfect powders. I dont understand what happened, can someone help me?

I called the hotline and they said that my ratio probably wasnt right. My new question is.....I tend to work a bit wet (I am trying to work drier) but why would I have this problem now and never before :?: .
Hi Suezan,

Were you using clean liquid or had it got a bit 'thick'?

I'm presuming that the replacements you put on were OK? If this is the case you must've been working wetter than usual or with liquid that needed replacing. If a product goes rubbery, then there is definitely more liquid than is correct so the product is soft. No question.

You can't 'measure' every grain of powder to liquid so it can be difficult to know if your mix ratio is correct unless you pick up your bead the same every time which means you need to load your brush the same every time. It is necessary to work out a system that works for you consistantly so that this will not be a problem for you in the future.
Hi Geeg,

I was using clean liquid both times I applied her nails. The first time I used scrubfresh with the same lint free pad that I had removed her polish with (non acetone remover), so I thought maybe I had contaminated the nail. I tried again with clean monomer and a different brush, scrubfresh set up better but it still felt a little soft. I didnt apply the acrylic any wetter then usual, I have never had this happen to me before. I was just thankful I wasnt doing a full set.

When I pick up the ball am I suppose to count to 3 for the liquid to soak up the powder, and then when I lay down the ball do I count to 3 again? A few months ago I was having a problem when I would pick up my ball the powder at the top of the ball would not soak into the liquid and then when I would lay the ball down the powder would fall off onto the nail.....that is when I started working a little you think I just need to wait longer before laying the ball down?

Sorry if I have confused you as much as I am :) . Thanks for your help.
There are so many ways to acheive the correct mix, and they are all right, if at the end of the day, you have got it right ... :? Brushes vary as to how much liquid they hold and people vary as to how long they leave the brush in the powder etc etc.

To try to help you, I will tell you CND method and you can give it a try ...
I use a Prostyler Brush.

First (this is if you are starting with a dry brush) fully load your brush with liquid and gently flatten out in the bottom of the dappen dish to release all the air that is trapped in the brush.

Draw your brush gently out against the side of the dappen dish (not just the tip of the brush but draw down the entire length of the hair of the brush) to flatten the brush and to release some of the liquid... first one side and then the other.

Holding you brush so that the handle is straight up in the air ... draw a line in your powder with the flags of the brush, about 1/4 of an inch long.

Then watch the bead absorb the powder. It should take about 2 seconds or the time it takes you to say going ..going .. gone! (like your counting to 3)

If the powder has absorbed straight away, before you can finish saying going going gone, then the bead is too wet. If there is still a load of powder on the top of the bead, then it is too dry-

If too wet, take another little scoop and remember for next time to draw your line a little longer.

If too dry, start again and remember for next time to draw your line a little shorter.

A good rule is that if the product is a bit difficult to handle once you start to work it on the nail (either difficult to control or difficult to press out) then you mix ratio is off.

Once you have the method that works for you - do it every time. You'll need to have a method for small , medium and large beads.

Press onto the nail - and take a breath (again like your counting to 3) - before starting to work the bead. In other words, give the polymerization process a chance to get going for a second or two before you start to press out the bead.

Hope this has helped.
Thanks Geeg, I think I need to sit down and practice making different size balls for a few days. I appreciate your help.
Not open for further replies.