Help with filing Minx

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessie

Reaction score
Hi there,

Well my minx arrived last week, and I have been wearing the fishnet silver lightening which my clients love. They have worn reasonably well for my first set with only 2 slightly lifting, but they were slightly touching my sidewalls !!

However, they have shrunk slightly at the free edge. I have read all I can on here with regards to application, and I found that if I filed at a 45deg angle below the nail then the minx lifted on the free edge straight away. If I filed at a 45 degree angle above the nail, then there was no 'excess' minx to lift up and it adhered better ! I do think though that this has made the shrinkage worse.

Which way do you guys file?

Thanks

Hello, sorry I can't help with that one as I dont have them yet but do you have any pics?? I would love to see them!!:)

Maxine x

The way you file as well as the angle is important.

Apply the Minx as per the step by step.

Remove from the heat for ten seconds or more.

THEN file, not from east to west in the normal way, or in a see saw motion but from north to south hitting the free edge at a 45º anfle with the file and working your way across the free edge to cut off the excess Minx. I find that this way you get a clean cut of the minx and no lifting.

Go back to the heat and make sure the edge is sealed well on to the plate and smooth. hth

Hi Geeg,

Now that makes more sense. I did do that on my other hand and it did seem to work better, however, am I holding the file at 45 degrees under the free edge or on top of the free edge?

Thanks

there are step by step pictures on the minx website, if that helps you.xx

Hi Geeg,

Now that makes more sense. I did do that on my other hand and it did seem to work better, however, am I holding the file at 45 degrees under the free edge or on top of the free edge?

Thanks

Definitely UNDER.

I had mentioned on another Minx thread about an idea i had ... you know how you can really seal the edges of the free edge using the Girlfriend buffer....(not the black/white sides) and obviously as you do this with speed it creates heat....heat is what makes Minx work...right...? so could you seal the free edge after using the Minx glass file by giving it a good go using your girlfriend...??? would it give a better finish...a better seal...?? hope that makes sense...

What I am struggling to do is file on someone who doesn't have a free edge like me!
It is impossible to have the file at a 45 degrees angle as the tip of their finger gets in the way.
What is the best way to get over this problem?
I am defiantly going to try the girlfriend trick what a fab idea well done Angie:hug:

Try it and see girls ... good thinking Angie. Minx is new ... you may come up with some great ideas that they have not thought of. If it works .... then it works. :green:

Thanks for the help, and I will try the girlfriend buffer idea on my next set !

Just one more question.......On the minx website, under 'troubleshooting' it tells you to do a 3 point check under heat. What is this check? Am I missing something totally obvious?

Thanks

is that checking the 3 points....both sides and cuticle area...??

I have no idea....it just said 3 point check !!!

Anyone else have any ideas ?

Is it heat, cool, heat? xx

ok tried the minx system today,first time however what do you do when you get creases because of a high appex? Tried as much heat and smoothing as possible no luck please help?

ok tried the minx system today,first time however what do you do when you get creases because of a high appex? Tried as much heat and smoothing as possible no luck please help?

ME TOO!!!! So frustrating:cry:

The answer is you apply the product from east to west instead of north to south.

Thanks for the help, and I will try the girlfriend buffer idea on my next set !

Just one more question.......On the minx website, under 'troubleshooting' it tells you to do a 3 point check under heat. What is this check? Am I missing something totally obvious?

Thanks
this is the 3 point check.....

While your customer still has her hand under the heat lamp:
1. Make sure there are no creases or bubbles in the Minx;
2. Press down firmly on the free edges of the Minx to ensure adherence; and
3. Have your customer check to make sure the Minx has no rough edges or bumps

HTH's

Latest posts

Back