Help with mother in law’s hair colour!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clareh

Level 3 hairdresser, nail and brow tech
Reaction score
im newly qualified and I'm doing my partners mums hair tomorrow. Her previous hairdresser I think got her foiling confused last time and did 2 bleach to one tint. Then she went on holiday. Then went and put root cover nice and easy on it and we had a nice shade of karki! I cap tinted a very light violet blonde and it looked great but this was a stop gap. She's grown out a wispy pixie with a fringe, 70% grey, level 5 naturally but suits neutral colours than overtly warm or cool. It's currently about a 9 with some 8 and 10 scattered. I've got her back tomorrow to sort it out properly. I thinking of retaining her lighter hair on top and fringe, perhaps doing a few babylights. It has dimension but needs the colour to be less wishy washy.. she likes a creamy, dimensional blonde. I use L'Oréal and will be overseen by the salon manager but want to have some ideas before we strand test

With her wispy pixie I'm wondering whether to do the root colour then brush apply bleach to her Mohawk section and then tone? Gah! I just don't want stripes or a horrible regrowth when the grey comes through!

do you have any photos?
what is she hoping the result will be?

I didn't ask her if she minded me using her photo- just sent her a message. Seriously her needs are" do what you want as long as it isn't stripy or khaki and still light", I think at my early stage in my hairdressing journey.. I need more guidance! She likes the colour I used for the cap lowlights. She's still a bit khaki so I'm going to use majirel iridescent blonde as befor but globally up to the occipital bone then (does this sound ok) the same in foils, alternating with a blonde tint of her choice and 10 vol bleach fine weaves? My end game is not khaki and not stripy!

Its difficult because if is a khaki (green) colour, you need to neautralise with a red tone. best bet is to go through with very fine babylights bleach 10vol and make sure to tell her it can take a few goes to fix this issue. I also use L'Oreal and 9.02 makes a great creamy blonde but for now you need to focus on getting that green tinge out. Did you use a high lift for her cap foils?

No highlift on the cap, was just depositing previously..you're right, the khaki tone is actually coming out however it was a permenant she put on, will try to steer her towards a slightly darker base so I have more tones to play with?

How did it come out? Are you happy with the result?

Hi! Really happy! She loved the irridescent blobde in her hair already and I put more of it a warm gold blonde high lift as her condition was good. The khaki looked just a cool blonde by the time she came in so we had a bit more to play with, plus she had a really good cut. I had a really anxious few hours before during and after though- face sweats lol! Xxx

Latest posts

Back