Help with paying for courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca@PolishedToPerfection

Reaction score
I have done a few home learn nail courses and I was just beginning to do it from home, haven't done any paying clients yet but i'm starting to get really down about it. I really don't feel confident doing nails at all but it's something I really want to do. I'm only trained in manicures, pedicures and acrylic nails and I don't feel confident doing any of them especially acrylics. I've only been taught to apply white tips and overlay so I really don't know what to do!! The amount of money i'm going to spend on doing extra courses (gel nails, shellac, acrylic sculpt/conversion + more) I might aswell do the CND Complete. Only thing is I really can't afford it! I don't work as i'm a stay at home mum and 5 months pregnant with the 2nd. My partner works so I don't get any benefits and I can't afford to do it on his wage alone, I can't get a job to pay for it because like I said i'm pregnant and once the baby is here I won't want to go out to work full time for a few months. We've got over £3,000 to pay off on credit cards so I can't add another £2500 to that. I could borrow it off family but I won't be able to pay it back!! I'm just completely stuck and can never see a way out!!!! Help!!!!! Sorry for the long post i'm just really fed up! :( xx

Also, i'm really worried if I borrow the money from somewhere I won't be able to pay it back!! I know obviously once i'm qualified, I can earn the money through doing nails but I don't know where to start! I really need to decorate and spend money on the room at home before I set up here, I don't drive so can't do mobile and I can't afford to rent somewhere on top of paying £2,500 back!! Just really don't know where to start! Please can someone point me in the right direction?! xx

Have you looked at the Princes trust? Can you go & ask about funding for a new business at your local job centre?

Im not sure if any of the above will work but i dont see any harm in asking.

Failing that, with you only having one wage coming in will you be able to apply for funding for a college course? Xx

I feel for you as I've been in a similar situation.

It does depend on your family circumstances and, as Steph said, there are a few options to explore.

Colleges in England now offer a 24+ Learning Loan for Level 2 and 3 courses that you won't have to pay back until you earn £21,000 or more - and then it's only a very small amount a month. They also have 'hardship' funds available if you meet their criteria. The funding situation changed only recently so best to get in touch with the finance department of your college of choice and see what help they can give you.

Good luck with it.

I'm going to look into the princes trust but I'm not sure if jobcentre will help as I'm not on any benefits. I'm not over 24 and my local college doesn't do any nail courses only beauty therapy and it would take me 3 years to complete which isn't what I want. Just don't know where to turn! :( xx

www.facebook.com/butterflybeautyroom
www.butterfly-beauty.weebly.com

Again im not 100% but I dont think you have to be on benefits for the job centre to help you find out if there is any funding out there. Plus if you only have one wage coming in, you may be classed as low income. & even if you arent right now, surely you will have to go there to apply for maternity allowance? They really do try to help get you back working once your maternity leave is up. Xx

Again im not 100% but I dont think you have to be on benefits for the job centre to help you find out if there is any funding out there. Plus if you only have one wage coming in, you may be classed as low income. & even if you arent right now, surely you will have to go there to apply for maternity allowance? They really do try to help get you back working once your maternity leave is up. Xx

I thought you only got maternity allowance if you was working? Xx

No you can get maternity even if your not working. X

Also, whilst you arent working you can claim job seekers... But obviously you will have to be actively seeking/applying for jobs. Think you should book an appointment with citizens advice. X

Have you looked in tax credits ? :)

Just had a look and it says maternity allowance is only paid if your working and I can't get jobseekers cos my partner is working. We get child tax credits but it's only £30 a week and we need it to pay bills :( there's 3 of us living off one wage its ridiculous! X

Mmm, i thought job seekers could be claimed even if a partner was working... That way your national insurance gets paid for you.

Have you looked on this benefits adviser?

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser

Shame if you cant get anything :( xx

:( thats not good. Definitely give them a call or go in. Fingers crossed xx

Well i've rang the princes trust she's took my details and said someone is going to ring me about a development award grant. Checked on the website and I seem eligible but it says you can only get up to £500 and if the course is considerably more they won't give you it. The course is £2,400! So does this mean they will only give me £500 or nothing at all does anyone know?? xx

Does anyone know?? xx

Hi are you on working tax credits aswell as your partner works?

You also might be entitled to housing benefit x

Latest posts

Back