Help with problem nails on 3 clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissOwen

Reaction score
Hi all

I have 3 enhancements clients with problem nails that would like to be natural nail overlay clients, if they could. Due to how their nautral nails grow though, i think this is impossible.

However i would love you opinions on if i am treating their nails appropiately for the nail type

Client 1 - Is a 62 yr old with extremely brittle nails.. we've struggled to get her enhancements to last well and have found keeping her natural nails as short as possible and using tips and gel to have been successful, but after a couple of rebalances when her natural nails start to grown, she suffers a lot of breakages and sometimes loses the natural nail right down to about 5mm long! She lives on diet coke and takes medication for depression. So we've been removing and replacing the tips every 3rd visit to keep her natural nails short. She wears her enhancements at a very sensible length.

Client 2. Has nails that grow downwards over the free edge (claw nails i think is the best description) and again, we have to keep here natural nails very short to stop them seperating from the overlay (L&P sculpted)

Client 3. Has natural nails that curl in on the sides of the free edge, so again pull away from the overlay if they are not kept very short! She also has extremely tiny nails, my smallest tip size fits her index finger. She also wears L&P sculpts. She has very strong nails but the curling gets more extreme the longer they get.

I know its probably impossible that they will be able to have natural nail overlays, but as they are 3 of my most loyal and lovely clients, i would like to check with you expert geeks that i'm doing the right thing to suit their nail types?

Any thoughts?! Sorry for the long post!!!

I've one client who's nails curled round her fingers, since using shellac her nails now grow straight............:)

I've one client who's nails curled round her fingers, since using shellac her nails now grow straight............:)

Ooh, interesting!!

I'm not sure this would work for them though, the curling was noticable on both of them from the beginning, before they had worn nail enhancements :hug:

some clients i have to fit a form at every visit for nno, and slighty build out a tiny free edge to help protect the nail from seperating or curling. Client 2 does she always pull away when you first sculpt or just as you maintain them?. If they where ok at the start i think i would be tempted to get rid of the free edge and resculpted a new one. This obviously wouldn't help with getting to a nno point but the seperation might be better. Looking at your profile and albums you look very confident in what you do, it is a pain when we cant seem to fix a problem nail with whatever we try. I do hope you find a way that helps as the frustration can sometimes get to you, as i know it can me:)

Hi hun,

I'm not a nail professional by any means but I have the same problem as one of your clients; for some strange reason the free edge on both my middle fingers curves inwards at the sides, but all my other nails are fine. With my first set of gel overlays my tech kept the free edge quite short on those fingers, and since then as long as I have them maintained regularly they grow perfectly straight under the gel...but when I don't have anything on them it starts all over again! Might be worth a bit of a trial period to see if the same applies to your client x

some clients i have to fit a form at every visit for nno, and slighty build out a tiny free edge to help protect the nail from seperating or curling. Client 2 does she always pull away when you first sculpt or just as you maintain them?. If they where ok at the start i think i would be tempted to get rid of the free edge and resculpted a new one. This obviously wouldn't help with getting to a nno point but the seperation might be better. Looking at your profile and albums you look very confident in what you do, it is a pain when we cant seem to fix a problem nail with whatever we try. I do hope you find a way that helps as the frustration can sometimes get to you, as i know it can me:)

Thanks for the reply.

They pull away as i maintain them. I've been removing the natural nails free edge every other or every 3rd maintenance appt so far, and that is working ok for us, it just makes me wonder if i'm doing is best for them or not.... although i cant think of anything that will work better :green::hug:

Hi hun,

I'm not a nail professional by any means but I have the same problem as one of your clients; for some strange reason the free edge on both my middle fingers curves inwards at the sides, but all my other nails are fine. With my first set of gel overlays my tech kept the free edge quite short on those fingers, and since then as long as I have them maintained regularly they grow perfectly straight under the gel...but when I don't have anything on them it starts all over again! Might be worth a bit of a trial period to see if the same applies to your client x

Thanks Gemster

We have tried letting them grow out and hoping the enhancement might help them grow straight but no such luck so far :cry: xxxxx

Why would you like them to be nno clients?
what you are doing is perfectly fine (2&3), their nat nails are extreme and cannot support themselves and tipping/sculpting is the best way to get an aesthetic uniform look. Each client is unique so maybe adjust how you charge them.
My 2 middles go curly-wurly when left, my thumb dramatically curves diagonal (as used 2 suck) I have to sculpt and file away my natural side walls n re-inforce, they all look the same bird-eye view but undersides are all diff.

Client 1 seems to have alot of changes per year....?

Why would you like them to be nno clients?
what you are doing is perfectly fine (2&3), their nat nails are extreme and cannot support themselves and tipping/sculpting is the best way to get an aesthetic uniform look. Each client is unique so maybe adjust how you charge them.
My 2 middles go curly-wurly when left, my thumb dramatically curves diagonal (as used 2 suck) I have to sculpt and file away my natural side walls n re-inforce, they all look the same bird-eye view but undersides are all diff.

Client 1 seems to have alot of changes per year....?

Thank you for the reply.

I'm not concerned about them being NNO clients, they would like to be. I think clients like the idea of having their 'own' nails. So NNO sounds appealing to them. Although they havent been too upset when i've explained that its not likely to be possible with the way their natural nail grows.
Its nice to hear that my method to solving the problem seems correct though.

Client 1...... i've really struggled with, i've never had a client with such brittle nails. It seems that the moment her natural nails have the slightest free edge, the will break and they usually crack half way down the nail bed!
With L&P sculpts she would lose a whole overlay in one piece quite often. She's never had lifting problems, but gel seems to work much better for her and we've found less issues with tips than sculpts..... which means re-tipping every few appointments :cry:

Any suggestions on what might be better for her very much appreciated. Thanks for the help :hug:

Taking into consideration that she is on medication I can only suggest to stick with what you are doing. I am baffled even imagining this reoccuring issue....hmmm

Taking into consideration that she is on medication I can only suggest to stick with what you are doing. I am baffled even imagining this reoccuring issue....hmmm

I'm baffled too :cry: hopefully i'll have a sudden eureka moment one day and figure out what it is thats not quite right! :green:

Latest posts

Back